Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2017: Created new account in Vanguard, can I move historical transaction history into the new a

Jonathan Winthrop
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I recently opened a trust for my wife and I, this required making a new account with Vanguard, so sadly I now see zero historical data. Is there a way to migrate the old transactions? i've tried dragging into the new account but no luck (Quicken Mac 2017)

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    You can't drag and drop investment transactions unfortunately. 

Are the old transaction in an existing account in the data file? If so, why not just deactivate downloads for that account and then reactivate to the new Vanguard account?

If that's not possible, you may be able to make a copy of your data file and delete every account except the one you need. Then import that file into the exiting file and merge it into the new account. Quicken 2007 file or Windows Transfer File may work for this. I haven't done it, so not 100% sure it would work, but you could try. Make sure you have a good backup before you start.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I have had the same problem/request... and have checked "here" and other places looking for an acceptable answer.

It appears to me that Quicken does not seem to be concerned with updating the Mac version of Quicken to the same quality (feature wise) compared to Windows Quicken.  Especially for Investors.

In the future, they "MAY" get around to adding this feature, but for now, they want you and everyone else who is looking for a way to keep track of investments, to VOTE for that feature... and they will put it on the WANT list for future upgrades.

Then of course, you can BUY a new windows computer, or a program like PARALLELS (that runs windows - on a mac)  then you could BUY and use the windows version of quicken.

Why they don't think this feature is critical for anyone who invests... is greek to me.
  • Jonathan Winthrop
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

I have had the same problem/request... and have checked "here" and other places looking for an acceptable answer.

It appears to me that Quicken does not seem to be concerned with updating the Mac version of Quicken to the same quality (feature wise) compared to Windows Quicken.  Especially for Investors.

In the future, they "MAY" get around to adding this feature, but for now, they want you and everyone else who is looking for a way to keep track of investments, to VOTE for that feature... and they will put it on the WANT list for future upgrades.

Then of course, you can BUY a new windows computer, or a program like PARALLELS (that runs windows - on a mac)  then you could BUY and use the windows version of quicken.

Why they don't think this feature is critical for anyone who invests... is greek to me.

Any idea if I can use quicken for windows to do this, then save and continue using as normal on the mac? Can quicken files be read/edited between OSs?
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

Quicken files cannot be transferred directly between OSs. You can export from Windows and import to Mac, but you do lose a lot of customizations. It is nearly impossible to go from Mac to Windows.

It's not exactly clear to me how you can have the transaction history in the Mac file, but not be able to link the exiting Quicken Mac account to the new Vanguard account. Can you provide any more detail of what accounts exist and how they got to where they are?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    If the portfolio is the same for the Trust and old Vanguard account, I would think you could do like RickO said deactivate the downloads for the account. I would then rename the account and try to reactivate the renamed account with Vanguard. Of course, do this first with a duplicate of the Quicken data. The only thing I don't remember is if you have to supply an account number when you setup the account initially.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    BruceG said:

If the portfolio is the same for the Trust and old Vanguard account, I would think you could do like RickO said deactivate the downloads for the account. I would then rename the account and try to reactivate the renamed account with Vanguard. Of course, do this first with a duplicate of the Quicken data. The only thing I don't remember is if you have to supply an account number when you setup the account initially.

PS: I do know I have gone in and changed the type of account from IRA to Trust just so I could generate a sudo Capital Gains report. Of course that didn't involve changing or revising the account number.
  • Jonathan Winthrop
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

Sure, maybe i explained it incorrectly. I have Vanguard account 1, it shows a balance today of $0, but I can see in the historical graph and transaction history, past performance. Now those assets are in Vanguard account 2, which has a new balance, but almost no history. So ideally just moving the historical transactions would give me everything
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

How did the value transfer from account 1 to account 2 in Quicken?
  • Jonathan Winthrop
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

its just the most recent balance vanguard is sending. The old account had a transfer out so its $0, and the new one shows it transferring in, so it has a balance.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    wst3 said:

So, I have to ask again (probably because I wasn't clear the first time)...

Can you do this?...

In Account 2 settings: Troubleshooting > Deactivate Downloads

In Account 1 settings: Set Up Transaction Download with the account parameters previously used for Account 2.

Probably some cleanup of a few transactions would be needed, but in the end you'd have one account with the history and downloading new transactions.