QMac: Multiple Quicken IDs?

What has Quicken done? I have separate files for myself and my partner. We have separate Quicken IDs, and we each use mobile on our phones. Suddenly, with Quicken 2018 (I presume thanks to this awful subscription tax), I cannot open her file without changing the owner to me.

This is not what we want to do, I think. I don't want her items showing up in my mobile app, and she doesn't want mine.

How do we continue to treat our online services separately while allowing me to maintain our finances?

I've been so encouraged by the recent improvements in Quicken since it separated from Intuit, and the vast improvements in the Mac app. But this new round of changes really sucks.

Comments

• MotoTomMotoTom Member
    edited November 2017
    Wow, that really sucks. Thanks for the heads up.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    MotoTom said:

Wow, that really sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

In case it's not clear from that long discussion, Quicken Inc's response is 1 Quicken ID per subscription. If you want to use 2 Quicken IDs, you will need 2 subscriptions. Here is the specific response citing that:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

I would encourage you to vote up that suggestion to allow more than 1 Quicken ID per subscription and add your comments there indicating why you want more than 1 Quicken ID per subscription.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Tom,

I just want to clarify something.... In QM18 with the new Quicken ID, it is still possible to keep two separate data files each connected to its own cloud account so that two different users using Quicken Mobile will only be making changes to their own file.

When you first sign into Quicken Mobile, you choose which cloud account (data file) you want to work with. From that point forward, Q Mobile is "locked" to that cloud account (data file). So, if you keep your Quicken ID login credentials to yourself, you effectively prevent the other user from accessing your finances.

Yes, there are some inconveniences to this as compared to having multiple IDs. One is that you need to sign in to Q Mobile for your partner. The 2-factor code will be sent to your phone or email, so that will need to be accessible. If Q Mobile ever gets signed out, you would would need to sign back in for your partner.

If trust is not an issue, you could give your partner your QID credentials allowing her to log in on her own. You would probably need to set up an email for 2FA that you both have access to.

So, other than the inconveniences listed above, you should be able to continue with Q18 just as you have in the past.

Hope that helps. 

P.S. If you need more specific instructions, let me know and I'll post some screenshots.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

Tom,

I just want to clarify something.... In QM18 with the new Quicken ID, it is still possible to keep two separate data files each connected to its own cloud account so that two different users using Quicken Mobile will only be making changes to their own file.

When you first sign into Quicken Mobile, you choose which cloud account (data file) you want to work with. From that point forward, Q Mobile is "locked" to that cloud account (data file). So, if you keep your Quicken ID login credentials to yourself, you effectively prevent the other user from accessing your finances.

Yes, there are some inconveniences to this as compared to having multiple IDs. One is that you need to sign in to Q Mobile for your partner. The 2-factor code will be sent to your phone or email, so that will need to be accessible. If Q Mobile ever gets signed out, you would would need to sign back in for your partner.

If trust is not an issue, you could give your partner your QID credentials allowing her to log in on her own. You would probably need to set up an email for 2FA that you both have access to.

So, other than the inconveniences listed above, you should be able to continue with Q18 just as you have in the past.

Hope that helps. 

P.S. If you need more specific instructions, let me know and I'll post some screenshots.

I believe Tom mentioned that he does not want to share his QID with his partner.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • MotoTomMotoTom Member
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

Tom,

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can work around this. It’s just incredibly disheartening to see this—a dramatic increase in the cost of Quicken for most users while removing behavior that’s been their for over a decade. And it makes some new features useless, like the inability to get a credit score for everyone in your data files.

I expected this kind of thing from Intuit. I was thinking the “new Quicken” would be better. But there are minimal improvements in Quicken 2018 for Mac.
  • MotoTomMotoTom Member
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

Tom,

Hope that helps. 

“I believe Tom mentioned that he does not want to share his QID with his partner.”

I can. There aren’t any trust issues or anything. It’s just inconvenient and adds a new level of hassle. Quicken is supposed to make things easier, right?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

Tom,

Hope that helps. 

If you don't mind sharing your QID, then I think the only additional hassle (other than one time configuration) is dealing with the 2FA if one person has the phone and the other is trying to sign in. It would be nice if Quicken would allow more than one phone to be linked for 2FA.

That said, I guess I can't really blame Quicken for the change to single QID. In the past, a user could give out copies of the software to all his friends and relatives and those friends and relatives could each get all the advantages of online access, credit scores, etc. I guess I can't really blame Quicken for locking this down more. I think the ability to create multiple cloud accounts under one QID is a reasonable compromise. 

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of blowback on that statement. Please don't beat me up too much.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Closing this post because it's answered; if you'd like to vote on this idea, please go here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-add-1-or-2-quicken-ids-to-subscri...
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator