Quicken 2018 installation - Won't Install on Windows 10.

After waiting 45 minutes for support to even answer my call, I then spent the next 3 hours with a support person who had me trying the same steps over and over.  In case Quicken is monitoring I am talking about case #01250972.  After she gave up ( hoping to refund me rather than help me )  I started doing some research.  I see you can right click and run a compatibility test which I ran.  It says my machine doesn't meet the system requirements.  It totally meets and exceeds each and every requirement .  She said it wasn't their fault it was my machine and to call Microsoft.  It's a week later and I don't have the old or new program running again.  I've upgraded religiously for years and now ALL my financially information is currently gone.  I have never been so disappointed at a software company in my life.  Has any one encountered this problem and figured out how to fix it.

you can clearly see I have more memory, cpu, than needed as well as he higher than needed .netframework.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are you trying to run the Quicken installation program in Compatibility Mode for an older version of Windows?
    If so, please do not do that.
    Right-click the saved download file. Run it as Administrator and without any Compatibility Mode overrides.

Quicken 2018 is fully Windows 10 - compatible.

• edited November 2017
    No when first installing I never chose to run in any compataility mode..  Thank you for your response though.  I'm still stuck and about to just ask for my money back as I've spent too much time trying to get this to work.
  • edited January 2018

Mr. Dunn,

Your software will not install on a Windows 10 computer. 
    Did you know that?

I paid you $30 for software that won’t install.  Getting
    assistance from your support staff is also next to impossible.

Very disappointing.

Gary Johanning

Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:01 PM

To: 

Subject: Happy New Year!

Wishing
    you a Happy New Year!

View online.

Quicken

Dear
    Gary,

I’m
    Eric Dunn, the CEO of Quicken Inc. I wanted to reach out to wish you a
    Happy New Year and thank you for your ongoing support of Quicken. For
    those of you who have experienced our 2018 release, I hope you are
    enjoying the latest new features and enhancements including easier bill
    management, new investment features, expanded report capacity and
    customization, and new included free services that help you get more out
    of Quicken.

We’ve
    now been operating Quicken as a standalone company for almost two years.
    During the first 18 months since our spin-off from Intuit, we’ve had to
    spend a lot of time and energy on separating Quicken from Intuit
    technologies, culminating in the "Quicken ID" changeover last
    fall. Even while we were doing this, we were able to deliver significant
    enhancements to Quicken, including modernizing the user interface, online
    bill center and reporting enhancements in Quicken for Windows and Quicken
    BillPay, online bills, loans, and a new portfolio view and reports in
    Quicken for Mac.

For
    those of you who are now Quicken Members (2018), I am happy to report
    that, with Quicken ID behind us, our teams are now able to focus on
    delivering what you’ve asked for in Quicken – robustness, performance,
    and usability improvements across the board. We also will continue to add
    functionality to Quicken for Mac. In the first 90 days since the launch
    of Quicken 2018, our members will have seen over two dozen of these
    refinements, including dramatically faster backup for Quicken for Mac,
    Budget detail printing and filtering by account and a return of the
    "stack view" of bills on Quicken for Windows, and reporting
    improvements across both products. And as we approach tax season, Quicken’s
    tax planner will be updated by the end of this month to help you assess
    the impact of the new tax law passed by Congress at the end of 2017.

In
    the months ahead, we will continue to deliver improvements and
    refinements in Quicken to our members, including an all-new mobile app
    and, a little later, web access to your Quicken data with similar
    functionality to the existing mobile app. In parallel, we are also
    continuing technology development work that will, starting later this
    year, increase the reliability of Quicken’s connections to banks and
    other financial institutions. And we continue to make major investments
    in customer care technology and staff so that we can best address any
    issues and questions that you encounter when working with Quicken.

imageIn
    short, we are improving Quicken.

Thank
    you for being a loyal customer!

Sincerely,

Eric Dunn

CEO

Quicken Inc. 

• edited August 2018
    I have a Windows 10 computer with the latest build on it (1709), all the updates from Microsoft, etc.  I have the Quicken Deluxe installer EXE on my desktop.  I right click on it, select run as Administrator, and NOTHING happens.  NOTHING. I work on a PC all day and spend a great deal of time becoming proficient with horrible Microsoft products, so I know what I'm doing.  I've been using Quicken since the dawn of time.  This is a first.  I don't have time to wait 45 minutes on the phone for someone to offer me my $29.95 back.  Where are the so called experts on these ridiculous issues?
  • Don BurksDon Burks Member
    edited January 2018

I have a Windows 10 computer with the latest build on it (1709), all the updates from Microsoft, etc.  I have the Quicken Deluxe installer EXE on my desktop.  I right click on it, select run as Administrator, and NOTHING happens.  NOTHING. I work on a PC all day and spend a great deal of time becoming proficient with horrible Microsoft products, so I know what I'm doing.  I've been using Quicken since the dawn of time.  This is a first.  I don't have time to wait 45 minutes on the phone for someone to offer me my $29.95 back.  Where are the so called experts on these ridiculous issues?

I spent about 3 hours on the phone yesterday with quicken support trying to resolve the same issue you're having--and more.  Waste of time.  I too have been using this software since the DOS days.  And, to add insult to injury, Bank of America says it will not support quicken until sometime in April.   Whaaaaat?  Seems like ever since intuit jettisoned quicken, it has turned to crap.  I noted in Windows 10 "event log," many "errors" associated with qw.exe, yet none of the techs have bothered to dig deeper into the operating system to determine why.
  • edited January 2018

You're a(n) (in)lucky man!  When I first tried to install, it actually uninstalled Quicken 2017 and then crashed on the 2018 install leaving me dead in the water.  I then read about some nightmares about other folks who lost all their data (no backups).  I had to manually remove/delete all kinds of residual Quicken crapola before I could re-install 2017 and get it working again.  All of my account settings for online stuff were pooped up, but I magically recovered.  No more Quicken upgrades until they get their feces compacted.

I was so furious, I posted the love letter from the Quicken CEO here with my reply to him asking if he knew his software was crap.  The post was deleted the next day by the moderators who don't want the truth to be known.  Quicken used to rock.  Now it's just a warm feeling running down the inside of my leg....

I have 60 points!  for what!?!
  • Dale GronlundDale Gronlund Member
    edited August 2018

I bought Quicken 2018. Tried to install it and got a install error saying I have to uninstall old version. Go to control panel and uninstall Quicken, Try to install again and get same message. Go to control panel to uninstall and it's not in my list of programs. Now I don't know what to do. 
  • edited August 2018

now I have 70 points.  Dale, I had to plod along with 2017 until I needed a new computer.  I installed 2018 without any trouble on a vanilla windows 10 machine.  Great solution huh?  Quicken won't help you.
  • Robert ScottRobert Scott Member
    edited October 2018
    i'm wondering on the 4th screenshot above where it asks (in red) "Where Is Windows 10?"  Did the poster type that in there or was that a message of the program?
    edited August 2018

Dale, I use iObit Uninstaller and it always works for me. Don't know if it will help get your old program off there. Just remember to backup your data file.

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

• Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited August 2018

Dale, have you tried downloading and installing qcleanui.exe?

Make sure you clean "all versions".  See what happens with that, then try re-installing Quicken 2018.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

i'm wondering on the 4th screenshot above where it asks (in red) "Where Is Windows 10?"  Did the poster type that in there or was that a message of the program?

When an install fails Windows will ask if the user wants to troubleshoot it, and basically try the compatibility mode for older operating systems.  That is what you are seeing.

For any current (at least the last 5 years) that isn't going to help, and will most likely make things worse.
    edited August 2018

That's interesting. I've been a Windows user from the beginning (literally except for Windows 8.x) and never got that screen. I guess I was lucky.

I have been thinking about this. I haven't bought Quicken 2018 yet so I'm starting with a clean slate. I think what I'm going to do is to run a Windows Reset before I try the installation. I have run Reset several times and like it. It's a lot better than having to reformat your whole disk. I'll install Quicken first (before all the other programs are re-installed.) That's the best chance I can think of to avoid installation errors.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I wouldn't jump the gun.  99.9999% of the people never have a problem installing.
    People having problems come here.  People that installed don't come here to report that.  If they did this forum would be flooded with their posts.

I would install first and if I ran into problems, then look for solutions.

Of course if you just want to reset Windows, then go right ahead.
    edited August 2018

Your right, of course. At least it's an idea if someone hasn't thought of it. I used to love to tinker around but now "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'll probably just wait on that reset. :)
    edited August 2018

QPW, I just ran the installation and it worked! I'm one of the .00000001% that reports this here on the forum. I just went to the welcome screen because I wasn't ready to set everything up yet but I did get that far.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I'm glad worked fine for you, and you let people know.  :-)
  • edited September 2018

I have installed Quicken almost every year for last 15 years but never ran into issues. Now It uninstalled my previous version and I keep on getting Error 1603. Wondering whether to go back to previous version and stay there.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

How about a little more detail....  hard to tell why "my car wont start" -
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Looking up Error 1603, here is what Microsoft has to say on the subject:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation-e
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Note the last one about security could might mean you should try running the install by right clicking on it and selecting to run as administrator.
  • edited September 2018

I thought 1603 was pretty clear since when I googled "Quicken 2018 install 1603"
     there are thousands of references. I also tried this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-dur...

Never had so many issues. Renamed all Quicken references, etc. I did buy a CD version this time though other times I had been buying online download versions. Not sure this is specific to CD version but as per error pages it seems to affect all users.
  • edited September 2018

This one worked for me ...

Note the last one about security could might mean you should try running the install by right clicking on it and selecting to run as administrator.

Thanks Chris (QPW)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Your welcome.  Normally Windows should switch into this mode automatically for an install, but as you can see sometimes that doesn't happen and you have to force it.