Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Q2018 Mac Stock Options

Lakedaisy
Lakedaisy Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
If there is anyone from the support group here, could you please forward this to the developers.

I have used Quicken since around 1987 or so.  Have always had the DOS/Windows versions running over the years.  Moved to a Mac many years ago.  Now I run QWin on my Mac, but prefer to use Mac OS products.  I tried QMac 2015. But it was terrible. This year I decided to try QMac again.  2018 is SO much better.   In fact the only reason I am still running QWin 2018 is Stock Options purchased do not download on QMac 2018.

I am referring to Stock Options that trade on the Exchanges, not Employee Stock Options.  I trade a lot of Options.  As far as I know QMac has never downloaded purchased Options as it does purchased Stocks. QWin does.  Why not?  If the developers would only enhance QMac to download Options I could finally stop using QWin.  

I must manually enter the purchased Options Symbols into QMac before before downloading todays closing prices, otherwise the Symbol is downloaded (but it doesn't appear in the account.) If I then try to enter the price/quantity QMac makes the purchase in the $millions when is should be in the $thousands and the only way to correct (that I have found) this is to remove the Symbol and start over. However, once I manually enter the Option Symbol, then manually enter the actual purchase in the account, the Option price correctly downloads.  So, come on developers... Correct the error in the program (that's been there since at least QMac2015).  I reported this error back in 2015, but there were never any results.  And I recently tried to report this on the Support Chat, but don't think the person I was chatting with was knowledgeable concerning  QMac 2018 or financial matters.

By the Way... I also been running Banktivity (it does download Options purchased) for a few yeaers.  However, since I have purchased and began running QMac 2018 I seldom update Banktivity as for me QMac 2018 is a better program.  Thanks. 
Quicken user since 1986

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Yes QM has serious difficulties dealing with options; When I deal with an option (call or put) that downloads from my Fi, it does not download into the transaction register as a transaction but as a placeholder, I then edit the placeholder and convert it into a transaction. The data in the PV is erroneous as QM can’t deal the contract lots. The positive is that when the option is closed it does show the transaction correctly in the Tax Schedule under Schedule D .
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I can't edit the placeholder.  Well, I can edit it to turn it into a transaction, but it's not useable.  It turns my purchase price into $millions numbers (and my account value is in the $millions.)  There's no way to adjust the values.  If I change any value, QM offsets the change by changing another value to keep the total the same (incorrect) amount.

The only work around is to delete the placeholder, then delete the Option Symbol from Securities.  Then start over and manually enter everything. But I've found that if I first enter (before updating the account) the Symbol of the Option I just purchased into Securities, then go to the account and manually enter the purchase, my account $ value is correct. 

Would be very nice if the developers would correct the error in their downloaded Placeholder.
    Quicken user since 1986
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Lakedaisy said:

I can't edit the placeholder.  Well, I can edit it to turn it into a transaction, but it's not useable.  It turns my purchase price into $millions numbers (and my account value is in the $millions.)  There's no way to adjust the values.  If I change any value, QM offsets the change by changing another value to keep the total the same (incorrect) amount.

The only work around is to delete the placeholder, then delete the Option Symbol from Securities.  Then start over and manually enter everything. But I've found that if I first enter (before updating the account) the Symbol of the Option I just purchased into Securities, then go to the account and manually enter the purchase, my account $ value is correct. 

Would be very nice if the developers would correct the error in their downloaded Placeholder.

Agree the data in the PV is not accurate (to say the least) but you can get the transaction correct in the registers with a few modifications, for ex if you have 1 contract you will need to edit the share qty to show 100 shares then share value should be correct after doing so. As longs as the transactions are shown correctly in the register the end result after closing the option will be correct. 

The options  transactions  need  major work , just offering a work around until the folks at Quicken get around to fixing this
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Lakedaisy said:

Have ever looked into the quicken investing product while you were using the windows product. It is web based and sync with quicken program but has better tools than quicken. Might be worth looking into. I do not think this investing program works with the quicken mac program.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Lakedaisy said:

Correct. Quicken Investing does not work with QMac. The Quicken Mac team has decided to not integrate this product as they claim it is old...  :-\

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Lakedaisy said:

Do we know if they are planing a not so old product for QM?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I have also noticed that it does not download the transaction and show it in the register either.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    shivero said:

I have also noticed that it does not download the transaction and show it in the register either.

Notice major difference in the way QM17 & QM 18 handle options; QM 17 while not downloading option transactions, it did download a placeholder which one could edit to set up the transaction in the register correctly, the data was not correct in the PV., but after closing the option out the data was correct in the Tax schedule , schedule D.

In QM18 the placeholder does not show up in the register after downloading the options transaction. , so now transaction & no placeholder. So how to set up the option transaction? I note the option shows up in the PV, so I simply set up the transaction from scratch, the actual option is showing up under securities so it’s straight forward to enter the transaction in the register, as in previous versions of QM the option is not correct in the PV , but when the option is closed it is correct in the Tax schedule . Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.