Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Backups and File Conversion (Windows)

QWIN: Choose Automatic Backup Location [edited]

Quicken Mac will allow you to set where the automatic backups are stored.
Quicken Windows should allow this too.

I should be pretty easy to let the user set this path, with the default being how it is now where they get stored in the BACKUP folder with the data file.
8 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Excellent idea!
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    @Quicken_Natalie The reason this should be implemented is because the current implementation of the automatic backup is next to useless.

It is the reason why SuperUsers constantly tell people to do manual backups.
    The default location for automatic backups is on the same drive as the Quicken file.
    If the drive fails you lose both the original file and all the backups.

So people are forced to do manual backups just so that they can have backups on a different storage media.  If Quicken Windows would allow the user to specify where the automatic backups are done they wouldn't have to also do manual backups.

P.S. This is almost a trivial feature to implement.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Excellent idea!

I second that!
  • GraduateMomGraduateMom Member
    I would love to be able to change the location of automatic backups. I currently use manual backup to Dropbox so I will have an offsite backup.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone involved for implementing this feature!  :)

Starting in R29.9 you can now specify a different disk/folder for where the automatic backups should be stored, including in a "cloud folder".

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    <nitpick>
    Except the directory shown when you Change is one level too high. Open opens the correct directory. Change shows the default as Quicken, not Quicken\Backup.
    Oh, and while "directory" has been the correct word from the beginning of time, Microsoft has decided "folder" is what a directory is called. When you click Change, the resulting dialog says "folder", so the backup preferences dialog should, too.
    </nitpick>
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.