QW2018 Bills - Due Soon vs. Upcoming

I just upgraded from 2017 Quicken Deluxe for Windows to the subscription model 2018 Quicken Deluxe for Windows. In BILLS & INCOME, sorted by Due Date, Upcoming, 30 Days, All Bills, my bills are sorted into two sections: "Due Soon" and "Upcoming." Both sections show bills due within 30 days. Having them separated seems like a recipe for me to miss a payment! Is there any way to blend these sections? All of my bills are set for manual payment, not online through Quicken.
(BTW, I sure wish they would go back to the stacked display, with bills and income in the same view.)
Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Comments

• ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi, You might want to have a look and vote on this thread.   Lots of users want a change back re: bills.  Scott

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-windows-2018-bill-view
  • Donnie ODonnie O Member
    edited August 2018
    This is kind of convoluted but it worked for me.  Since Quicken sorts alphabetically, I used Biller Name and All Bills to display all my monthly bills.  Then I used an alphabetical prefix on all the payees to get Quicken to display them by their due date.  For example, if Chase Bank payment was the first bill due for the month, I renamed Chase Bank to A Chase Bank so it would be the first payment on my monthly list.  Takes a little time to sdet up if you have several  payees but it resolves the issue of missing a payment
    edited November 2017
    Donnie O said:

This is kind of convoluted but it worked for me.  Since Quicken sorts alphabetically, I used Biller Name and All Bills to display all my monthly bills.  Then I used an alphabetical prefix on all the payees to get Quicken to display them by their due date.  For example, if Chase Bank payment was the first bill due for the month, I renamed Chase Bank to A Chase Bank so it would be the first payment on my monthly list.  Takes a little time to sdet up if you have several  payees but it resolves the issue of missing a payment

Hi.

This view does also allow bills to be sorted by due date. Have a look at the filter boxes at the top. See image below to sort on bill due date.

Odd of Quicken to default to alpha sort rather than date sort. Why would I care about a bill starting with "A" but not due for 6 months, for example. I think a date sort default makes more sense for good percentage of use cases -lIke seeing what bills are upcoming!  

Regards,

• Rick SharonRick Sharon Member
    edited June 2018
    Donnie O said:

I AM sorting by due date and it still splits them into upcoming, followed by due soon (at the bottom of the list) with ALL of the billes due within 30 days.  It is NOT sorting by due date, it is sorting by their due categories then due date, with the soonest bills at the bottom of the list where they will be most likely overlooked and missed.  When I want due soon, I want the soonest due to be at the TOP of the list, not the BOTTOM, especially when the list IS sorting by ascending due date albiet within the non-sensical due categories.  What is the difference between "upcoming" and "due soon"?  Does upcoming happen latter than due soon?  If so, then upcoming should be AFTER due soon.  I'm not going to sarcastically ask if Quicken could make things even more screwed up because they seem to take that as  challenge.   EVERY day brings a new defect or newly discovered de-hancement.
  • Keith GarrettKeith Garrett Member
    edited December 2017
    Donnie O said:

I agree with Rick, and for me, this strange occurrence just randomly starting happening, not immediately after R4.7.  Even more odd, I have 2 bills due on the 30th of December and one remains under Upcoming and the other is listed at the bottom under Due Soon.

* * * Edited next morning (12-30-2018) * * *
    This morning, I opened Quicken 2018 Premier R 4.7 and now at the top, I have Due Today, one entry.  Last night this was at the bottom of the page under Due Soon.  Due Soon has now moved to the top of the list, under Due Today, and it is showing one entry.  Then following are Upcoming.  No rhyme or reason as to why it mysteriously went back the way it was.image
  • TurkeyLoverTurkeyLover Member
    edited January 2018
    Donnie O said:

Just upgraded to R10 and this is still an issue.  Even better, it now shows my foreign currency bills in USD, that gets entered into my budget as USD.  Quicken just goes from bad to worse.  image
  • edited April 2018
    Donnie O said:

Agreed.  The soonest due should be at the top of the list.  My "due soon" bills still display at the bottom (Version R4.10, Build 27.1.4.10). 

Bringing back the stacked view would resolve this.  It was a major downgrade to alter the way bills and reminders are displayed.
  • NordinKaNordinKa Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yeah. It's weird that somebody decided that Due Soon should be placed under Upcoming. 
    Should it better that the bills does not have that category at all? I see no point why Quicken splitted them.
    BTW, I just near miss my Due Soon bills. This happen after I entered one bill that due today and automatically Quicken moved the Due Soon to the bottom. 
    Yes, it's weird behaviour by weird decision maker.
    edited January 2018
    NordinKa said:

Yeah. It's weird that somebody decided that Due Soon should be placed under Upcoming. 
    Should it better that the bills does not have that category at all? I see no point why Quicken splitted them.
    BTW, I just near miss my Due Soon bills. This happen after I entered one bill that due today and automatically Quicken moved the Due Soon to the bottom. 
    Yes, it's weird behaviour by weird decision maker.

Just open Bill & Income. And I see that the Due Soon is now placed on top of Upcoming. 
    edited August 2018
    Hi, 

Was playing around with this a bit this morning... So it seems that Quicken is adjusting and categorizing these bills based upon not only on the due date but also on how you've set your "reminder days" for that bill.  See image 1.   I hadn't noticed this in my earlier post since my reminder days are all set to the same figure and the due date sort works as one would expect.

So, you could have your bills and income sorted by due date, but based upon how you have set your "reminder days", you could still see your bill due date appear to be unsorted (as seen in @turkeylover's image).  Based upon these two variables, Quicken then applies the various categories like "done soon" etal.  What I've seen so far....but still confused on the category logic.

To me, I would rather simply see the due dates sorted without regard to the "reminder days" setting. Leave the reminder days logic for alerts and not for this view. For me, this view should just consider the due date and not some hidden logic (and categorization) based upon a reminder day setting.

Additionally, it seems that the Quicken help topic is not consistent with the app's functionality.  See image 2.  Not sure if "status of bills" means "reminder days".

As far as the categories applied,  no need for me for I am capable to assessing the due dates against the calendar date.

Keep it simple, IMO.

Regards,
    Scott
    QW2018 HBR R4.10

• psobilopsobilo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There is a view that seems to provide what everyone is looking for.  View > Customize Toolbar > and add the Manage Income & Bill Reminders.  The icon will show as Sched in the toolbar.

If you don't want/like the bar graph and/or calendar, you can always uncheck the option(s) above the list.  
  • jas00jas00 Member
    edited February 2018
    psobilo said:

There is a view that seems to provide what everyone is looking for.  View > Customize Toolbar > and add the Manage Income & Bill Reminders.  The icon will show as Sched in the toolbar.

If you don't want/like the bar graph and/or calendar, you can always uncheck the option(s) above the list.  

That's another way to get to bills & income.  But in my case, the bills listed here don't match the bills in the BILLS & INCOME tab.  In some cases the bill is missing, and in others the dates don't match.  Only online bills are affected.  Manual bills are OK.
    edited August 2018
    Okay,  I actually see this category sorting oddity today when I opened
    Quicken (Overdue, Due Soon, Due Today et al).  In looking at this feature again, I found some additional oddities and want to append my prior comments and summarize with some additional suggestions:

1.   Use reminder bill due dates only to
    assign categories - Do not factor in the reminder days.   Make it
    simple and understandable at a glance as illustrated in my above post. 
    What are you trying to achieve with an overly complex rule base and
    display?

2.  If you need categories, then limit the number of  them (overdue, due
    today, et al ) to only 2 or 3:  Past Due, Due Today, everything else out
    to the limit of the number of days you specify in the filter.  That is,
    use the "Due in XX days" to show everything else, presumably less
    urgent reminders.  Let the individual assess and determine what is urgent and important beyond the 2 obvious categories!

3 Ensure the layout and use of categories are consistently presented between the Date Due and Stack views! See images 1 and 2.  As it stands today, they are not.

4.  Bring back the more compact stack view.  I
    would prefer to "see then scroll". Yes, some scrolling might/will be
    necessary....I felt the previous organization of the stack view was good
    - Not necessary to rearrange the deck chairs. See image 3.

5.  Address the bugs in the Bill Reminder "estimate amount for me" feature.  See this post:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/edit-bill-reminder-estimate-amount-for-me-bugs

Please click like if you agree or make suggestions to improve!

Scott
    QW 2018 HBR R5.20

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

• jas00jas00 Member
    edited August 2018
    For item 1:  Some bills still have to be paid with snail mail.  The reminders days allows you to pay it in advance to allow for mail delivery time.  Are you suggesting to not use this feature?

For item 2 & 3:  The priority for presenting bills should be overdue, due today, due soon, and upcoming.  This should be consistent for both the stack and due date views.  The # of days filter should only be used to limit how far in advance you want to see in the display.  The inconsistencies here are bugs and should be fixed.

For item 4:  My guess is that the stack view was implemented 'quick & dirty' just top get something out there.  Hopefully they'll revise it in a future release to work like the original stack view.
    edited February 2018
    jas00 said:

For item 1:  Some bills still have to be paid with snail mail.  The reminders days allows you to pay it in advance to allow for mail delivery time.  Are you suggesting to not use this feature?

For item 2 & 3:  The priority for presenting bills should be overdue, due today, due soon, and upcoming.  This should be consistent for both the stack and due date views.  The # of days filter should only be used to limit how far in advance you want to see in the display.  The inconsistencies here are bugs and should be fixed.

For item 4:  My guess is that the stack view was implemented 'quick & dirty' just top get something out there.  Hopefully they'll revise it in a future release to work like the original stack view.

Hi Jas00, 

I think reminder days would still be useful for some.  Most of my bills paid out of quicken are a 1 day lead time, but some are 4 day.  For years, I have set reminder days but now I just look at the due date, either stack or due date view, based upon a 4 day delivery lead-time. So, not so useful to me these days.

I suggested that Quicken pare the categories to past due and due today and just use symbols and colors, as they try to do today (image 1), I assume that Coming Due category has some reminder days logic built in.

But, once again, in the Due Date and Stack view the visual indicators are not consistently applied..  Here's a crack at what this might look like in both views with just 2 categories. See image 2 and 3.   Please view this as conceptual!!!

I do remember (QSangeetha perhaps) there was to be more work done on this feature.  I agree, seems hastily put together.   My 2C anyway!

Scott

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

• Barry SchnellBarry Schnell Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I've read through this entire post and do not see one comment from a Quicken rep. 

Could someone from Quicken provide an official response to this and what is going to be done to improve/resolve these issues?

While I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and ideas for how to overcome the issue with sorting, at the end of the day, it should not be this difficult and users shouldn't have to jump through hoops to have our bills sorted in an order that makes sense for us.  At the very least, proper documentation should be provided that explains how this all works and how to configure it.

As it stands, sorting by "Due Date" does NOT sort by due date.  Instead, Quicken decided to categorize bills in to "Upcoming", "Overdue" and "Due Soon".  While that's all well and good and could be helpful in certain situations, when a user wants to sort by "Due Date", then bills should be sorted by "Due Date" and they clearly are not.

As you'll see below, I have "Due Date" selected as my sort and "Upcoming" is listed first, then "Overdue" then "Due Soon" and hence, my bills are NOT sorted by Due Date.  I am running 2018 Version R5.20 Build 27.1.5.20.

If Quicken wants to offer a feature for "Categories" of bills based on due date, reminder dates, etc. all well and good but make it an option and provide proper control over the categories.  In the meantime, make the simple things work - if a user indicates sort by due date, the list should be sorted by that in a flat list, or if categorized, still be listed in the proper order.

Look forward to hearing from Quicken regarding this, thank you!
    edited February 2018
    More sorting madness - After paying some bills (which took way longer than it should have given the issues with 2018), I'm now down to a single "Upcoming Category".  However, as you'll see below, despite being sorted by "Due Date", the bills are still not sorted by due date

All I want is for my bills to sort by due date - look forward to hearing from someone at Quicken on how to accomplish this successfully.

Thank you!

• jas00jas00 Member
    edited February 2018

I've read through this entire post and do not see one comment from a Quicken rep. 

Could someone from Quicken provide an official response to this and what is going to be done to improve/resolve these issues?

While I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and ideas for how to overcome the issue with sorting, at the end of the day, it should not be this difficult and users shouldn't have to jump through hoops to have our bills sorted in an order that makes sense for us.  At the very least, proper documentation should be provided that explains how this all works and how to configure it.

As it stands, sorting by "Due Date" does NOT sort by due date.  Instead, Quicken decided to categorize bills in to "Upcoming", "Overdue" and "Due Soon".  While that's all well and good and could be helpful in certain situations, when a user wants to sort by "Due Date", then bills should be sorted by "Due Date" and they clearly are not.

As you'll see below, I have "Due Date" selected as my sort and "Upcoming" is listed first, then "Overdue" then "Due Soon" and hence, my bills are NOT sorted by Due Date.  I am running 2018 Version R5.20 Build 27.1.5.20.

If Quicken wants to offer a feature for "Categories" of bills based on due date, reminder dates, etc. all well and good but make it an option and provide proper control over the categories.  In the meantime, make the simple things work - if a user indicates sort by due date, the list should be sorted by that in a flat list, or if categorized, still be listed in the proper order.

Look forward to hearing from Quicken regarding this, thank you!

If I remember correctly, Q2017 stack view kept everything in due date order, but changed the color of the clock icon when a bill reminder (i.e. 3 days in advance of due date) was due.  All overdue bills were on the top of the stack.  This made more sense to me.
    edited March 2018
    More fun times with sort order.  Note that "DUE TODAY" is the third-category in the list despite being ordered by "Due Date."

Does Quicken have an official response on this issue?

edited March 2018
    It's misleading. By Due Date means, the oldest date should be on top. 

Q18R6.2.

But it was sorted by :
    1. Due Soon,
    2. Overdue,
    3. Due Today,
    4. Upcoming.

While it should be:
    1. Overdue,
    2. Due Today,
    3. Due Soon,
    4. Upcoming.

This should be a simple change, yet nobody want to fix this.
    edited May 2018
    NordinKa said:

It's misleading. By Due Date means, the oldest date should be on top. 

Q18R6.2.

But it was sorted by :
    1. Due Soon,
    2. Overdue,
    3. Due Today,
    4. Upcoming.

While it should be:
    1. Overdue,
    2. Due Today,
    3. Due Soon,
    4. Upcoming.

This should be a simple change, yet nobody want to fix this.

It's more than misleading - it's incorrect and clearly a bug in the product. 

Still no official response from Quicken which is incredibly disappointing given how apparent this issue is. 

There's no reason this should not have been caught in product testing which begs the question how much (if any) was even done with the product prior to release.
  • bachastainbachastain Member
    edited April 2018
    I just discovered this.  I thought Bills was completely busted because bills were disappearing.  Turns out there is a Due Soon group I didn't know was there.  I normally display the next 90 days so having Due Soon at the bottom is completely wrong.  The Upcoming sorts with the next due date at the top so Due Soon should be ABOVE that.  I can't believe someone thought Due Soon should be several scrolls away at the bottom.  Please change that immediately!  Either put Due Soon at the top, or perhaps better get rid of the grouping completely.  Just sort by date (next Bill at the top).
  • HarryHarry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    In my version,Qwin 2018, R 7.5, Build 27.1.7.5. they are in the right order:
    - Overdue
    - Due soon
    - Due Today
    - Upcoming

The sort order is by Due date, Due in 90 days.
  • jas00jas00 Member
    edited April 2018
    Harry said:

In my version,Qwin 2018, R 7.5, Build 27.1.7.5. they are in the right order:
    - Overdue
    - Due soon
    - Due Today
    - Upcoming

The sort order is by Due date, Due in 90 days.

Shouldn't due today precede due soon?  I would think that if you had to choose what order to pay bills it would be first those that are overdue, then those that are due today, then those that are due soon.  I assume that due soon means I want advance notice the bills are coming due, but they're not due today.
    edited April 2018

I just discovered this.  I thought Bills was completely busted because bills were disappearing.  Turns out there is a Due Soon group I didn't know was there.  I normally display the next 90 days so having Due Soon at the bottom is completely wrong.  The Upcoming sorts with the next due date at the top so Due Soon should be ABOVE that.  I can't believe someone thought Due Soon should be several scrolls away at the bottom.  Please change that immediately!  Either put Due Soon at the top, or perhaps better get rid of the grouping completely.  Just sort by date (next Bill at the top).

And today, 1 day later, Due Soon is back at the top.  Since no one fixed anything, I assume it'll be back.
  • AeleusAeleus Member
    edited April 2018
    This had been fixed for me in a recent update. Updated to 2018 R8.8 Build 27.1.8.8 and now it's broken again. 

Due Soon is back to the bottom of the list.
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm using R7.5 (EDIT: Now using R8.8 with same result). UPCOMING is listed first, then DUE SOON. This is reversed from what it should be.  DUE SOON should be at the top of the list.
    edited May 2018
    Also using R8.8 Build 27.1.8.8 and today (4/30/2018) Due Soon is back at the bottom.  Please fix.
    edited May 2018

Also using R8.8 Build 27.1.8.8 and today (4/30/2018) Due Soon is back at the bottom.  Please fix.

Due Soon continues to switch positions with no pattern I can see.  Once I had 2 bills Due Today, and things were lined up correctly, Due Today, Due Soon, and Upcoming.  After I paid the 2 Due Today bills, Due Soon immediately flipped to the bottom of the list.  Please fix.
  • GeoDoschGeoDosch Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm also seeing this issue, which appears to have come back with the R8.8 update (Build 27.1.8.8)

I had a bill due today, which I saw on the Stack View yesterday.  Today when I went to pay it, it seemed to have disappeared.  I switched the "Bills & Income" view to from "Stack" to "Due Date", and it was missing there as well.  It did show under "Calendar" and "Biller" views. I eventually found it, and the bottom of the "Due Date" list.  So I rechecked Stack view, and there it was, after scrolling to the right, past a month's worth of upcoming bills.

In "Due Date" view, here's what I see:
    When the sections are not collapsed, the bill that's due today does not appear unless you go looking for it. 

And Stack view is even worse:

I'm hoping someone from Quicken will acknowledge this problem and let us know they plan to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.