I have enough issues with 2017, now you want me to pay for a subscription?

It has been less than a year since I purchased Quicken Deluxe 2017. Every couple of weeks, I have to deactivate my bank, and all it's related accounts, and reactivate it. I have been using Quicken software since the early 90's, and this is the worst version. Now you want me to upgrade to a subscription service, but I'm not sure I have faith in your product anymore. Am I going to continue to have issues with 2017, as now all your effort and focus is in the subscription service?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ignore the ads.

Use your Quicken 2017 until 4/30/2020 when it is no longer supported for online banking.  Make the decision to (or not) purchase into the subscription version in Jan or Feb of 2020.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DeDe JohnsonDeDe Johnson Member
    edited November 2017
    Careful what you say about their failing product. They'll just block your post. I just want to get rid of their annoying emails but can't get even get an answer to that
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Bill: It is most likely that the problems you are experiencing are not a consequence on the year-version of Q that you are using. It is also probable that the issues you are experiencing can be resolved without upgrading to the new (2018) version.

What method of connection (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect or combination thereof) are you using and which financial institutions are involved?
  • Bill AllenBill Allen Member
    edited November 2017

@Bill: It is most likely that the problems you are experiencing are not a consequence on the year-version of Q that you are using. It is also probable that the issues you are experiencing can be resolved without upgrading to the new (2018) version.

What method of connection (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect or combination thereof) are you using and which financial institutions are involved?

@ Artic Hare: I am using Web Connect to access my USAA accounts.  There are other glitches in the program.  Often, after a successful download, the program will try and match the new transactions with already cleared transactions.  I have never had this issue with my 2014 version.
    edited November 2017

@Bill: The issue you are describing sounds like a bank issue, not a Quicken issue. You are assuming that because it is not working, the problem is in Quicken's control and it is a software/program glitch. This is not necessarily true. Have you read the Announcement posted on the home page of this forum about USAA? That may be part of the issue.

There is a way to troubleshoot the fact that newly downloaded transactions are matching to already cleared transactions. Go to one of the registers when and where this happens. Click on the Gear icon, then click Register Columns. Put a check mark in the Downloaded ID box. Then, when the problem occurs, check to see whether both the cleared transaction and the newly downloaded transaction both have the downloaded ID populated (you may need to refresh the view). They should both be populated and be different. If one or both aren't populated OR they are both populated, but contain different IDs (and you are using Web Connect) then this is a bank problem that Quicken can't fix. Try this diagnostic test and let us know what you find.

There are various bugs in each version of Quicken, but the problems you are describing don't sound like they are related to bugs; they are likely bank issues or data corruption issues (which can often be fixed). If you want to work with the superusers on this site, we can probably help you overcome the issues, unless they are bank created problems.
  • Bill AllenBill Allen Member
    edited November 2017

Thank you for the reply and the information. I will look into it, this weekend. I would not be surprised that the issue is coming from the bank's end, but since I manually download all my other financial institutions, I have not had issues with those accounts. I may have to set up those to download and see if there are problems. Thank you.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Since you are talking about USAA the main problem is that you have not setup your accounts using Direct Connect.  Mine are and I never have any problems with them.
    Express Web Connect with USAA is known to be flaky, and Direct Connect is free:

And even though the announcement that Artic Hare referenced doesn't mention it the problem is only with Express Web Connect, not Direct Connect.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/in-reference-to-this-announcement-new-issue-updating-or-adding-usaa-accounts
    edited December 2017

@Bill: Unlike QPW, I have no direct experience with USAA or Direct Connect (I am Canadian); regardless, I understand that Direct Connect is a superior connection method. If you have the option of switching to Direct Connect, I would recommend doing so. There are some things we could do to address Express Web Connect issues, but the fix/improvement could be temporary. Switching to Direct Connect is typically a permanent fix. Let us know how you make out.
This discussion has been closed.