Security Transactions

Mark Androw
Mark Androw Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
How do I find the security transaction history in Quicken 2018 Premier?   In 2017 Windows you could look up all your securities and click to see the transactions.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    First, select a single investment account register in the sidebar, or a group register such as Investing, Brokerage or Retirement. Transactions will be limited to that account or group.

Click the Transactions tab button next to Portfolio at the top. Then in the search box, top right, enter the name of the security.

As a shortcut, you can right click on any transaction for that security, then choose "Find SECURITY NAME" from the contextual menu. However, there's a bug in this feature... it will initially show no results. You need to click the magnifying glass in the search box and change it from "Payee" to "Security/Payee" and then the results will show.

You can then print the filtered register or export it to CSV for use in Excel/Numbers (menu File > Export).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the prompt reply but are you looking at 2018 Macintosh Premier?   I don't have some of the menus you referenced.   I also don't have any investment reports or tabs.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Thanks for the prompt reply but are you looking at 2018 Macintosh Premier?   I don't have some of the menus you referenced.   I also don't have any investment reports or tabs.

@Mark

Yes, RickO is referring to QMac - any version.

The transaction history 'report' is generated directly within the account transaction register - not from the menu item 'Reports'.
    You are effectively filtering the transaction register to show only activity for a given security.

Suggest that you add the Shares and Share Balance columns to the register display to provide additional useful information (if you haven't already).
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

First, select a single investment account register in the sidebar, or a group register such as Investing, Brokerage or Retirement. Transactions will be limited to that account or group.

Click the Transactions tab button next to Portfolio at the top. Then in the search box, top right, enter the name of the security.

As a shortcut, you can right click on any transaction for that security, then choose "Find SECURITY NAME" from the contextual menu. However, there's a bug in this feature... it will initially show no results. You need to click the magnifying glass in the search box and change it from "Payee" to "Security/Payee" and then the results will show.

You can then print the filtered register or export it to CSV for use in Excel/Numbers (menu File > Export).

Also make sure All Visible Columns is checked
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Mark, Yes... I'm using QM2018 Premier. I will repeat the instructions with screenshots to make it more clear:

In the sidebar, click the Investing group register if you want to include all investment transactions. Click Brokerage, Retirement or a specific account if you want to limit the results to that subset:

In the main window section, click on the word Transactions. Make sure the Date/Accounts/Type/Status filters are set to All or Any:

• On the right side of the window, click in the search box:

Enter the name of security in the box. Click the magnifying glass icon and make sure that All Visible Columns or Security/Payee are selected:

You will now be displaying all the transactions for that security. You can sort by any column by clicking the column header. Click it again to reverse the sort. You can add additional columns to be displayed (or hide columns) by clicking menu View > Columns in the top menu bar.
  • Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to do screen shots and walk me through the process.   That is great.   Quicken Premier is terrific and the fact that Bill Pay is now included makes it less expensive to have a subscription that just the monthly cost of Bill Pay @ $9.95/month.

My only feature request is that you could search for Security Symbol instead of just the name but that is just a quibble over an otherwise very robust product.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017

Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to do screen shots and walk me through the process.   That is great.   Quicken Premier is terrific and the fact that Bill Pay is now included makes it less expensive to have a subscription that just the monthly cost of Bill Pay @ $9.95/month.

My only feature request is that you could search for Security Symbol instead of just the name but that is just a quibble over an otherwise very robust product.

Mark, I also have found the lack of a Symbol column frustrating at times. So, I created and IDEA post to request it:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qmac-add-security-symbol-column-to-investment-ac...

Please jump over to this post and VOTE for it (upper right corner). 
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Just for the record, both Deluxe and Premier version provide the same services for securities. The only differences in the two versions is Bill Pay using Quicken connect (Direct connect bill pay is included in Deluxe), higher priority to the help desk and, of course, higher cost for the software are provided by the Premier version.
This discussion has been closed.