Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Government Bond Prices - quicken for Mac 2018

Fred Dittmaier
Fred Dittmaier Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I had been using Quicken Premier for Windows 2017 and now am using Quicken DeLuxe for MAC 2018. I have many US Government Bonds which I track and update the prices monthly manually. With QWindows it was no problem, but with QMAC it does not allow it. There is also a download button, but it has no effect with the Bond prices. After converting from my QWindows program it now shows the prices from my latest QWindows manual update, but there seems to be no way to update the monthly new price in Quicken for MAC!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    I have no idea if there's a difference in bond prices that can be downloaded automatically in QW vs QM. But in QM, open the Securities window (menu Window > Securities), find the bond, and make sure the correct symbol is shown there. If worst comes to worst, you can edit the security from this window and enter prices manually.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

I have no idea if there's a difference in bond prices that can be downloaded automatically in QW vs QM. But in QM, open the Securities window (menu Window > Securities), find the bond, and make sure the correct symbol is shown there. If worst comes to worst, you can edit the security from this window and enter prices manually.

I seem to recall while operating QM16 in 2016 Quicken modified the way bonds were being handled ie face value, par, etc to show correctly in QM, the downside was the impact on handling Treasuries, CD’s, etc.. However I am not recalling the intricate issues.
  • Fred Dittmaier
    Fred Dittmaier Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

Unfortunately US Savings Bonds do NOT have a Ticker Symbol and also the security current price cannot be edited there.
  • Fred Dittmaier
    Fred Dittmaier Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Unfortunately US Savings Bonds do NOT have a Ticker Symbol and also the security current price cannot be edited there.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

You might want to contact support and ask them if govt bonds are not supported with in QM, see my post above .
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bonds have CUSIP identifiers. I get downloads to my bond holdings as they are tagged with CUSIP identifiers. I have US Treasury bonds, Fannie Maes and Freddie Macs. Quicken however doesn't accurately track mortgage backed securities market values because it doesn't reflect the principal payments on these types of securities. Don't know about savings bonds. 
  • Fred Dittmaier
    Fred Dittmaier Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You are right, however, there is no download capability for Savings bonds. The US Gov't website offers a Savings Bond Wizard (MS based) where the current Value for each bond is calculated monthly which then must be manually entered into the QW program for each bond to reflect the current holding value. Unfortunately QMAC does not provide that manual update capability.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

You are right, however, there is no download capability for Savings bonds. The US Gov't website offers a Savings Bond Wizard (MS based) where the current Value for each bond is calculated monthly which then must be manually entered into the QW program for each bond to reflect the current holding value. Unfortunately QMAC does not provide that manual update capability.

On the contrary, I regularly update my US Savings Bond price data. 

Here's what the security setup screen looks like (menu Window > Securities):

Click on the Price History tab and you will get this view:

Enter a date and closing price and click Add.

The Options menu at the bottom will let you import the price data from a CSV (Excel/Numbers) file if you have it in that form.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Fred Dittmaier
    Fred Dittmaier Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Outstanding and thank you. It works perfectly. I have now updated all of my bonds. Thank you again for the instructions.