PayPal OL-221-A errors

Lately I’ve been getting an OL-221-A error when downloadingfrom paypal.

I know the problem is reported as a financial institutionproblem, but its not.  It’s a problem in the way Quicken interprets data.

Paypal has two divisions: PAYPAL and PAYPAL Credit (AKA BillMe Later)

When I make a purchase using  PAYPAL Credit It chargesthrou PAYPAL, and then funds the purchase thru PAYPAL Credit.  After theTxns are finalized I begin to get the OL-221-A error on the PAYPAL side. Quicken for what ever reason cannot interpret the PAYPAL Credit/ PAYPALtransaction properly.  Please fix ASAP

The error goes away after a couple of months, once the aforementioned transaction is no longer part of the download stream

I’ve also already spent hours on chat with support, thisneeds to be elevated for resolution

I’m using Quicken 2018 R3.4 H&B&R

Thanx

Comments

• z statmanz statman Member
    edited December 2017
    Agree, this is affecting various financial accounts, at least for me, so needs resolution ASAP
  • Greg BrownGreg Brown Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I also have same issue with Quicken H&B windows 2017
  • z statmanz statman Member
    edited December 2017
    Should have mentioned, also running Quicken H&B 2017 under Win 10 current version + all updates
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I don't have PayPal Credit, just a couple of regular PayPal accounts. Neither of them has updated since 11/25/17 (today is 12/6/17). Both get OL-221-A.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I don't have PayPal Credit, just a couple of regular PayPal accounts. Neither of them has updated since 11/25/17 (today is 12/6/17). Both get OL-221-A.

Hi @ All,

Add my name to the list. I am getting that error as well for PayPal.

I also do have PayPal Credit.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.55 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Don't forget to "me too" this post in the top right corner of the page.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • QUserQUser Member
    edited December 2017

I created an alias email for each of the paypal accounts and then setup quicken to link to each paypal account individually using the alias emails, by ignoring all but one at a time.  This way I was able to isolate which account was problematic.  With paypal at least,  if one account is causing problems, Quicken will report all of them as having the same problem.image
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Hi Everyone,

I'm also receiving the OL-221-A error with PayPal using the Express Web Connection method and have escalated my error information and log files to our service provider to investigate this issue and resolve.

@QUser - I took the liberty of searching our system and found the previous contact with Customer Support.  I'd like to escalate your case to the service provider as well but to do so I do need some log files.  I will be reaching out to you through an email on your case to request those logs, if you are still willing to provide them.

For everyone else who is currently experiencing this error with PayPal and PayPal Credit accounts, please contact Customer Support (https://www.quicken.com/support) to add your information to the open investigation.

Thanks so much,

Sarah
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm also receiving the OL-221-A error with PayPal using the Express Web Connection method and have escalated my error information and log files to our service provider to investigate this issue and resolve.

@QUser - I took the liberty of searching our system and found the previous contact with Customer Support.  I'd like to escalate your case to the service provider as well but to do so I do need some log files.  I will be reaching out to you through an email on your case to request those logs, if you are still willing to provide them.

For everyone else who is currently experiencing this error with PayPal and PayPal Credit accounts, please contact Customer Support (https://www.quicken.com/support) to add your information to the open investigation.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

I just uploaded my log files to support and was informed by the tech that this issue was only recognized by Quicken on Dec 7; at least with respect to a directive to collect log files. Since the issue has been ongoing and reported in this forum since late November and PayPal is a high use FI in the Community, this points to a defect in Quicken's s systems to detect FI connection issues.

ONE log file should be sufficient to highlight the error and point to a path to resolve it. The error is plainly described in the log files. This should have been posted as an Announcement more than a week ago after it was first reported. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paypal-recently-stopped-downloading-transactions
  • Alan StiversAlan Stivers Member
    edited December 2017
    I also cannot sync with PayPal, for about a week now.  I am running Quicken 2017 H&B Ver. R15, Build 26.1.15.5 on an updated version of Windows 10 64-bit.
  • wspotmeyerwspotmeyer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Please add me to the list of people having the same problem. I'm using QFW '18 R3.4.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Sarah - I have 3 different QFW files (Premier 2016), each with a different
    PayPal account set up in them.  Each Quicken file is set up for
    different family members so all the accounts in each are unique.

In one of the Quicken files I am not seeing this
    OL-221-A issue and PayPal is updating properly during OSU each and every
    time. 

With the other 2 Quicken files, this issue is present. 

7:35 a.m. but the OSU summary shows the on-line balance is as of
    5/13/2013.  In the other file the Accounts List shows the last download
    occurred on 11/29/2017 @ 6:57 p.m. but the OSU summary shows the on-line
    balance is as of 4/6/2013.

I also set up a test file on 12/8/2017 and set up an account for one of the PayPal accounts that I'm seeing this issue with.  The account set up OK with both the last download date (Accounts List) and the on-line balance date (OSU Summary) correctly showing 12/8 but there were no transactions data downloaded.  Subsequent OSUs performed return the OL-221-A error.

So, 4 different Quicken files (with 3 different PayPal accounts) and I get 4 different OSU results, 

I would be happy to upload the log files for each of these Quicken files but I haven't been able to find the upload link at the Quicken Support link that you provided.
  • Jim TJim T Member
    edited December 2017
    Same here.  Have one Paypal account that has both business and credit account.  The other has just business account and both are failing with the OL-221-A errors.  If I get frustrated enough I do a reset and sometimes that helps...but then I have a bunch of duplicate transactions to deal with
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi RJS and Quser - would either of you be willing to share your log files with our team?  Let us know and we'll reach out to you directly--

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Hi Boatnmaniac,

The link to upload the log files is actually created when a case is opened with Customer Support, I searched our system and wasn't able to find a prior contact for this issue on your account, so took the liberty of creating a case and have sent you an email with the link and instructions to upload those files.  This email was sent to the email address on file for your Quicken ID.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • CJCJ Member
    edited December 2017
    I too am getting the Ol-221-A error since about 11/27/17.  Worked fine previous to that.
    edited December 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much,

Sarah

Sarah - Thanks for opening the case.  I uploaded the files and replied to your email with some additional information you might find helpful.
  • mm3223mm3223 Member
    edited December 2017
    I haven't been able to update my Paypal account for about a month.  I'm getting the Ol-221A error also.
  • mm3223mm3223 Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Paypal OL-221A error.

For the last month I receive an OL-221A error when I try to update my PayPal account.  This issue happened with Paypal about 2 years ago.  Issue was resolved but it is back.  Any solution yet?
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ All,

Suggestion: Since I am in the same boat as are all of you, why not simply add the PayPal Transactions or PayPal Credit Transactions to Quicken's PayPal or PayPal Credit's Registers, manually? I have been doing this and it has not hurt me. When Quicken fixes the problem, you can match the Downloaded Transactions to the existing Transactions., you entered and they won't be duplicates, because you will be clearing the Transactions.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.55 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4
  • CJCJ Member
    edited December 2017
    I only use PayPal and not PayPal Credit but yes that is what I have been doing since the interface broke - manual entries. I think it is more of an issue with it working as advertised and is anyone within Quicken working to fix the problem.
  • deliusfandeliusfan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled PayPal recently stopped downloading transactions.

11/27 was my last correct download with PayPal; since then, I am getting a OL-221-A error when I attempt to update my accounts. All other accounts (about 20) are working fine. I have tried various tricks, such as adding a new account, then clicking link to the existing; resetting (which, personally, has never done a thing for me, for any accounts); and also removing web services manually and reconnecting. The reconnecting part works, but it still fails to download transactions, and then this error pops up on subsequent attempts to update. 

Quicken Deluxe 2017 R15 Build 26.1.15.5 on Windows 10
  • Sandi SpiresSandi Spires Member
    edited December 2017

I would be happy to share logs
    edited December 2017

Hi @ All,

Suggestion: Since I am in the same boat as are all of you, why not simply add the PayPal Transactions or PayPal Credit Transactions to Quicken's PayPal or PayPal Credit's Registers, manually? I have been doing this and it has not hurt me. When Quicken fixes the problem, you can match the Downloaded Transactions to the existing Transactions., you entered and they won't be duplicates, because you will be clearing the Transactions.

For most people, the manual entry option is a frustrating nuisance but a workable temporary solution.  It is what I am doing now.

Unfortunately for many people (such as, eBay and Internet store sellers) that is not a practical option because of the high volume of transactions they have.  Hence, the need to get this OL-221-A issue fixed as quickly as possible.

Another option for those who need or want to get data downloaded now instead of waiting for this OL-221-A issue to be fixed is to manually download the transaction history from PayPal.  Unfortunately, PayPal does not have an option to manually download in QFX file format but they do provide an option to download in QIF file format.  QIF file imports will need to be manually modified (inserting 4 short lines at the top of the data) before Quicken will accept them.  For those who are interested in doing this, here are the instructions:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accoun...

I've used this QIF file modification process before and it works well. Once you've got the modification lines set up correctly, save them into Notepad (or other text format file).  Then, whenever you download a QIF file for that FI and Quicken account, you can simply copy those saved modification lines, then paste (insert) them into the downloaded QIF file and then import them into Quicken.  Works like a charm.

• guadaguizguadaguiz Member
    edited December 2017

Hi @ All,

Heads-up: Links to page not supported by Safari.
    edited December 2017

Hi @ All,

guadaguiz - I have never heard of webpage links only working with some browsers but not with others. I posted that link via Firefox and just now confirmed that it works.  I also tested out the link in Edge and IE and they worked fine, too.  The fact that you are posting in this string means that your Safari browser works with this site and the link is also for this site. 

I'm guessing that one of your Safari browser settings might be blocking it.  I don't know much about Safari but there should be a place where you can view and adjust your Safari settings/preferences to allow for pop-ups or to open links in a new tab or new window.  Or if you have a pop-up blocker installed you might want to turn it off or whitelist this site.  Or, if Safari works like Windows browsers you can try right clicking on the link and select the option to open it in a new tab or in a new window (or whatever they are called in Safari).  Or you can copy the link and paste it into the URL of a new tab or window.
  • Bill TaylorBill Taylor Member
    edited December 2017
    I am still having the PayPal failure to download transactions issue.
    The reason I feel it is a Quicken issue is that I also use Personal Capital and I have no problem downloading the transactions and the current balance into that program.
    I just need a way to get the transactions into Quicken.
    I only use a cash account and do not use credit card transactions.

Very frustrating.....
  • RichardRichard Member
    edited December 2017
    I am using the new Quicken - Deluxe V3.4 Build 27.1.3.4 with USAA Federal Banking. Since updating to 2018 I have been getting Error OL-221-A every time I try to update my accounts. Evidently this is a Quicken server side problem. When is Quicken going to fix it??????
  • guadaguizguadaguiz Member
    edited December 2017

Hi @ All,

Safari handled it after all. I took your text, pasted per instruction and it worked. Thanks.
  • edited December 2017
    We have got some log files last week and we are looking into this. Will get back on this thread asap. 
This discussion has been closed.