Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

14567810»

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I am noticing a 'beach ball' cursor on Mac more with this most recent release.  If I change just about any view, I get a beachball.  Running latest Version on a MacBook Pro running latest OS with 16gb of memory.

Not sure where performance is in the priorities, but it seems like the program should not have as many lags as it appears to have on Mac, particularly having come from the Windows world last fall where the program was definitely more responsive to screen changes or other selections.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I am running the latest update for Mac.

I did a tax schedule report and noticed that on-screen long-term capital gains don't show the totals at the top of the report for the 'Proceeds' column, only for the Cost Basis and Gain/Loss columns.  I have to export as a CSV and then import into Excel or Numbers to get the Proceeds total.  

Seems odd as the Short-term totals for all columns show.

Moving to merge with v5.5 thread for latest Mac release.

Please reference the new conversation here: Merging
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I am noticing a 'beach ball' cursor on Mac more with this most recent release.  If I change just about any view, I get a beachball.  Running latest Version on a MacBook Pro running latest OS with 16gb of memory.

Not sure where performance is in the priorities, but it seems like the program should not have as many lags as it appears to have on Mac, particularly having come from the Windows world last fall where the program was definitely more responsive to screen changes or other selections.

Merging to v5.5

Please reference the new conversation here: Merging to v5.5
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018

I did a tax schedule report and noticed that on-screen long-term capital gains don't show the totals at the top of the report for the 'Proceeds' column, only for the Cost Basis and Gain/Loss columns.  I have to export as a CSV and then import into Excel or Numbers to get the Proceeds total.  

Neil, I suggest you use the Report a Problem command in Quicken (on the Help menu) to describe this problem. It's more likely to get seen by the developers there than here.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

ok - thanks
  • Rachel York
    Rachel York Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Same here, drives me a bit nuts. I only have 8gb memory, but one if my databases is pretty small.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Slow load and response of Quicken 2018 has been reported numerous times.  I am hopeful Quicken team will respond to this problem and fix it.  Let's hope the problem is fixed in the impending release of version 5.6.  While the "beach ball" is pretty to watch it does get a little boring.  Maybe until Quicken fixes the problem we could ask Apple to provide other "busy" cursors to give us a change of view (tongue buried deeply in cheek).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

this thread is for v5.4.x....please post on the correct thread....

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Interesting times with the release of the Canadian version...Thx.

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    Hi Marcus, as a Canadian, I have been using the Mac US version for a couple of years already. I have no idea if I should continue to subscribe the Mac US version or the Mac Canadian version. May you please advise? Thanks
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    The Canadian specific features primarily consist of  
    • support for Canadian categories and tax line items (v5.5.x).
    • a new Canadian Tax Schedule report
    • can see Canadian investment accounts such as TFSA, RRSP and RESP instead of US account types (AFAIK, there is no specific functionality, just name changes).
    Beyond that, the rest is about default currency, categories, etc. and turning off US specific features that cannot be used in Canada anyway. Read the full details in the Release Notes.

So if you want any of the above, you would need to switch. But is the US version works for you, there is no significantly compelling reason to do so at this time.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

and it seems like Canadian version is more expensive
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

One note here. I am not allowed to purchase/renew the US version anyway as I live in Canada. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Does your Quicken.com account prevent you from doing so? If so, how?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

BTW, as of v5.5, regardless of your starting point, you can switch versions:
    • NEW Added a new preference to turn on US or Canadian features regardless of membership. This means that if you're a US member but are actually Canadian, you can turn on Canadian features. This also means if you're a Canadian member but have US bank accounts, you can turn on US features like Bill Pay.
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Y mi número de cuenta y número de Depocito

Quiero cuenta de cheques , de si me dan una tarjeta de crédito Dónde puedo tener archivos o númerosimage

Adjunto mi identificación
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I have noticed a change in the way that QM2018 handles reinvestment of dividends.

With QM2017 security dividends transactions were listed as Type="Dividend Income" with a "Cash In" amount.  Then if reinvested there was a second transaction Type="Buy" with a "Cash Out" amount.

With QM2018 the Type for that is now a single "Reinvest Dividend" with "Cash In" and "Cash Out" being zero.

There seems to be no easy way to actually see the dollar amount of the dividends received without editing the reinvest transaction which then displays the dividend amount and total cost.

It would be nice to be able to see that information directly in the transaction window with a user option column like the other columns.

In the investment transaction view how about adding a column for dividends?

It would also be nice to have a Symbol column to display the security symbol in the transaction window.

You can add your VOTE to Show Reinvested Dividends cash in Cash In and Cash Out columns and Add Security Symbol column to investment accounts' transactions view.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

This discussion has been closed.