Quicken Bill Pay $5 charge

Quicken 2018 Premier user here.

Just a heads up to any new users of Quicken Bill Pay, like me.

QBP charged my account the $5 fee for going over the allowed 15 transactions per month. I just got off the phone with QBP support and learned that it's really 15 transactions per billing cycle, not per calendar month. My billing cycle is 6th through the 5th of the following month. I don't know if all billing cycles are the same, but most likely they are not.

Just something to keep in mind if you're trying to keep "free" service free.

I counted 14 transactions for the billing cycle but I've already wasted so much time on QBP and Quicken 2018 that I'm not going to bother trying to get a credit from them.

Comments

• David ShumanDavid Shuman Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm so frustrated with Bill Pay! I purchased Premium 2018 just for bill pay, but after a terrible experience with their Metavante customer service I finally got it set up. I routinely have more than 15 bills per month. I didn't expect to be charged for more.

Also, for every scheduled bill I convert to their Quicken Bill Pay, I lose the ability to put in the register in advance, as a reminder. I typically track my scheduled expenses 30 days out. 

In the Bill and Income Reminders box, when I Edit a Reminder and check the box that says "Use Online Bill Pay", then check the box that says "Make this a Repeating Online Payment", the Auto Enter 30 days in advance changes to 0 days. It seems that I won't know that the money is gone until I download transactions from my bank. There must be a better way...
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited December 2017

I'm so frustrated with Bill Pay! I purchased Premium 2018 just for bill pay, but after a terrible experience with their Metavante customer service I finally got it set up. I routinely have more than 15 bills per month. I didn't expect to be charged for more.

Also, for every scheduled bill I convert to their Quicken Bill Pay, I lose the ability to put in the register in advance, as a reminder. I typically track my scheduled expenses 30 days out. 

In the Bill and Income Reminders box, when I Edit a Reminder and check the box that says "Use Online Bill Pay", then check the box that says "Make this a Repeating Online Payment", the Auto Enter 30 days in advance changes to 0 days. It seems that I won't know that the money is gone until I download transactions from my bank. There must be a better way...

I also bought Quicken 2018 Premier for Quicken Bill Pay. I thought it would be a time saver. "Upgrading" from Quicken 2017 Premier to 2018 Premier then implementing Quicken Bill Pay has been such a huge waste of time that any time savings I hoped to see are long gone.

After this two year Quicken subscription is up I'm moving my checking and savings accounts to Quickbooks and I'll track my investments in Excel. I'm done with Quicken after many, many years of being a loyal user. I'm not going to pay a subscription fee to Quicken only to be nickle and dimed by QBP to top it off.
  • GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited October 2018
    Regarding Quicken Bill Pay service (actually provided by Metavante corp), if your bank or financial institution (FI) has a bill pay service which works with Quicken desktop software, you can use it as an alternative to the Quicken-branded bill pay service through Metavante.  You don't only have to use Quicken Bill Pay service to pay bills from Quicken.  

For one of my accounts, I use Quicken Bill Pay (the "free" service with Quicken 2018 Premier membership).  I also have two other accounts, each using a bill pay service from a different FI.   Both of these FIs offer bill pay at no cost which works with Quicken.  (For the account which I use with Quicken Bill Pay, the FI offers bill pay but it does not work with Quicken.)

On the point of Quicken Bill Pay charges, if you are transitioning from the paid Quicken Bill Pay service (2017 version and earlier) to the new "free" Quicken Bill Pay service, you have to cancel your old service.  The old Quicken Bill Pay account remains open for 30 days after you close the account. Depending on your billing cycle, you will likely be charged for one additional month.  I closed my old Quicken Bill Pay account, and my last bill pay fee was charged $19.90 ($9.95 *2), because the 30 days period spilled over into the next billing cycle.
    edited December 2017
    Yes, but it is a shame to make bill paying so complex. It would be nice to have it in one place. But the 15/month limit won't allow it for me. So yes, the best solution would be to keep the fixed recurring payments at my existing FI (mortgage, car payments, comfort billing utility bills, etc) then use Quicken Bill Pay for the variable expenses that need to be entered manually. I shouldn't have to be limited. But because I lose the ability to auto enter into the register 14 -30 days in advance if I use Quicken Bill Pay, that is the only safe way to manage this.

There is a whole other thread about the losing the stacked bills. I didn't use that. I like having my recurring bills pre-entered into my register so that I can see the cash flow plan in one place. I see that now I can go to other screens to see the cash flow plan, but for me, it is much cleaner to keep it in my main primary checking register. I can plan/forecast the next 30 days. I've worked that way for years. I wish my "Upgrade" to 2018 wouldn't make me lose features!
  • SueSwiftSueSwift Member
    edited February 2018
    Is there a list of the banks that allow Quicken Bill Pay? 

One of the reasons I bit the bullet and bought 2018 Premier was for the free bill pay, but from what I'm reading, it isn't free.  In this day and age who only sends out 15 checks a month?  What the heck?   

I was hoping to be able to leave Wells Fargo because I dislike their business practices, but as I have free Direct Connect (grandfathered in from Wachovia), I'll just stick with it. 

Is there an actual list of banks that will allow you to use Quicken Bill Pay?  The sign up page is barren of information.  How do you know it will work at your bank?

And honestly damn Intuit for selling Quicken.  They didn't do any of us who have been using Quicken  for 20 years any favors.   GRRRRRR.   I hate having a subscription, and I REALLY HATE finding out afterward that what they said was included is not.
    edited April 2018
    I believe pretty much all banks will accept Q Bill Pay, as it is truly just an electronic authorization to transfer from your account.  I didn't like giving them all the sensitive personal information needed to set it up though. Way more than is needed to setup an electronic transfer. I do find that being able to enter checks directly into the register and have Q Bill Pay pay the biller is nice. But my recurring payments stay at my other financial institution. I also find Q Bill Pay to be kludgy and poorly executed.  i.e. You can't enter recurring payments in the register 14 or 30 days in advance. Only on the day of the transaction. Also, I needed to change the amount of a payment that I had already submitted. I tried to change the amount and it said it can't be done. Quicken said that I needed to cancel that payment and create a new payment. But when I logged on to the Q Bill Pay web site, it allowed me to change the payment amount there. But Quicken told me it can't be done. But if I can do it manually, why don't they update their software to let me do it within Quicken?

Yes, After 20 years of Quicken, I upgraded too for the "free" bill pay, but I certainly don't feel I received an upgraded product. But I will say Quicken is busy sending out new updates and releases. They are reading these posts and trying to make their product better.  Time will tell if they can.  They've been the big dog so long, they may have forgotten how to compete!
  • edited December 2017
    1 You can use your bank's Bill Pay service through their own website, if offered.  My bank offers free bill pay.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Quicken to send ANY of my bills.  If something gets missed or messed up, you're going to call Metavante and expect some recourse?  Probably not.  If something gets mixed up with my bank sending a bill, I know who to complain to.

And I can make as many payments per month as I need, without no charge.  

2 I have almost all my recurring bills, including my utilities and credit cards, set up with automatic payment from my checking account.  When you think about it, it's no different than having Metavante withdrawing money from your checking account and then sending it out.  Why deal with someone in the middle?

3 I then have complete control of having Quicken enter future transactions into my register to see my future balance.  I have both Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac.  In Quicken Windows, this is easy to see what is on Autopay.  In Quicken Mac, I just put "Autopay" in the Memo column.
  • KnnNikeKnnNike Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Count me as another frustrated user that the "free" Bill Pay isn't really free. I'll be the first to defend Quicken on issues where they get a bad rap, but this stinks. You can't advertise free Bill pay without making this disclaimer (especially for such a low transaction limit) loud and obvious.
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited December 2017
    KnnNike said:

Count me as another frustrated user that the "free" Bill Pay isn't really free. I'll be the first to defend Quicken on issues where they get a bad rap, but this stinks. You can't advertise free Bill pay without making this disclaimer (especially for such a low transaction limit) loud and obvious.

I'm in the process of unwinding my Quicken Bill Pay experiment. After a couple of months, a late payment to American Express, the $5 charge and other miscellaneous nagging problems, I've learned that QBP just isn't worth the hassle. And I don't trust them. Lack of trust for the company that's paying your bills is not good

This makes my Quicken 2018 Premier upgrade a complete waste of money for me since I upgraded solely for Quicken Bill Pay. Quicken 2017 Premier was working great.

As soon as my last two payments clear, I'm done with QBP.
  • jtk.googlejtk.google Member
    edited February 2018
    SueSwift said:

Is there a list of the banks that allow Quicken Bill Pay? 

One of the reasons I bit the bullet and bought 2018 Premier was for the free bill pay, but from what I'm reading, it isn't free.  In this day and age who only sends out 15 checks a month?  What the heck?   

I was hoping to be able to leave Wells Fargo because I dislike their business practices, but as I have free Direct Connect (grandfathered in from Wachovia), I'll just stick with it. 

Is there an actual list of banks that will allow you to use Quicken Bill Pay?  The sign up page is barren of information.  How do you know it will work at your bank?

And honestly damn Intuit for selling Quicken.  They didn't do any of us who have been using Quicken  for 20 years any favors.   GRRRRRR.   I hate having a subscription, and I REALLY HATE finding out afterward that what they said was included is not.

What you're asking is, I think, which banks support using Quicken to pay bills (enter the bill payment in Quicken), and have Q connect to the bank's bill pay system and transmit the payment?
    Not using quickenbillpay.com/Metavante.

I used to have that with TD bank several years ago, no extra charge, until they "ugpraded" their bill payment system and removed that Quicken integration.

Anybody have a list of banks that support this integration?  @GoQuicken, which banks do you use that support this?
This discussion has been closed.