Quicken for Mac: Create an Average Cost Per Share column in Portfolio Views

RickO
RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
edited September 2018 in Investments (Mac)
Quicken for Mac 2018 added customizable Portfolio Views. However, there is still no option for Average Cost Per Share. 

Please add a column option for Average Cost Per Share (Average Cost Basis) to all three sub-views of Portfolio View in QM2018. 
Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
3 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

~5.3.0

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Should this be part of this IDEA thread?
    customizable portfolio
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

customizable portfolio

It could be, but I created a new one because a lot (but not all) of that thread has already been implemented and so the dev team might not consider it. That's why I started a new one. Perhaps the part of that thread that has not yet been implemented (export, for example) should be added here or combined into a new Portfolio IDEA thread.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

customizable portfolio

Totally agree Rick, I presently use a screen sticky to keep my cost/share info, when I add or sell qty I update the sticky. Not very elegant but it works
  • deanesfield
    deanesfield Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

customizable portfolio

I agree with Rick, and I would also say that the Quicken for Mac 2018 is now available in a Canadian version where the CRA tax office requires "average cost basis" and AFAIK it is not the Quicken for Mac method of calculating for cost basis. 
  • Brian Gibb
    Brian Gibb Member
    edited December 2017
    Quicken should also allow capital gains on sale of securities to be calculated based on average cost, in addition to FIFO and LIFO.. Average cost is the way things are done in Canadian taxes.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This is an issue for many US users of Quicken Mac, not just Canadian users. Many people in the US who have mutual funds and ETFs in our portfolio handle our securities on an average cost basis; it's the default basis for many large financial institutions like Vanguard, where I have a large part of my investments. As a result, I can never use Quicken for calculating my cost basis or gains, and must rely on the values provided by Vanguard. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993