Capital One 12/15/17

Comments

• edited December 2017

Advanced setup shows the Capital One-New, but doesn't go anywhere other than a message that tells me they're sorry and it's not my fault.  So whose fault is it?  I'm following the instructions by the letter.  I don't see any setting choice for Express Web either, no choice

Be nice for Quicken to relay that so folks know its an issue on the other end and it has no current ETA to resolve itself.
  • David SniderDavid Snider Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken-Capital One connection errors.

Have been getting errors when connecting to Capital One for several days; I read "Capital One accounts not working", which claims the Cap One website is down, but I'm able to log onto it fine. (Or does Kathryn from Quicken mean their web service is down?) 

Tried following instructions in "Cap One Bank connectivity updates", but get "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Capital One Bank - New".  Both the above posts have inexplicably been closed for comments (Why?? Because Quicken doesn't want to know how many irate customers there are, or just doesn't want to have to help them?) 

So I have no choice but to open this new thread. Quicken, please get this fixed! If it's really a Cap One problem then contact them and harass them until they fix it! (I suspect they'll tell you it's actually a Quicken problem, so you'll need to go back & forth with them until one of you fixes it.) But please, for the sake of your customers, somebody take the ball and work this to a resolution!

- David
  • AlanAlan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Advanced setup shows the Capital One-New, but doesn't go anywhere other than a message that tells me they're sorry and it's not my fault.  So whose fault is it?  I'm following the instructions by the letter.  I don't see any setting choice for Express Web either, no choice

Got an error doing One Step Update for the past several days.  It's always Capital One.  No problem with Capital One.  It's a Quicken problem but Quicken is not responding with a time to resolve or accepting responsibility for the problem.  Hopefully. someone will get a hold of a Quicken person that has an answer.
  • dlcphotodlcphoto Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One: Won't Connect or Download, No Error Messages.

Starting yesterday, I am unable to download Transactions from my Capital One Credit Card Account into Q2017/R15 (Windows 10 Pro, USA).  All my other accounts work fine.

There is no error message.  It shows the exchange occurring, requesting, receiving, etc., but then it closes, and nothing has happened.

I saw the message posted yesterday that Capital One's website was down, and at that time, that was true.  But that is no longer true today, and Quicken still fails to connect and download.

I saw the announcement that Direct Connect was no longer supported after 12/15/2017, but I have never used that, and my configuration shows it as "Express Web Connect" for the Connection method.

This is quite frustrating.  Even before this, I would periodically have to do a "one time" exchange via text or email to maintain the connection - perhaps once or twice/week, but at least it connected.  Now it won't connect at all.

I'm sure Quicken will blame Capital One, and Capital One will blame Quicken, if I contact either of them, and as usual, the end-user is caught in the middle, with no recourse.
  • Steve LangSteve Lang Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Matt said:

Yup.. Quicken says the capital one website is down. But the Capital One website is NOT down. Works just fine except in Quicken. Come on, get your stuff together!

This is one major screw up with Quicken. I'm tired of their run around and blaming Capital One. It is a Quicken Issue.  Lets stop the BS and resolve the issue at hand!!!
  • MattMatt Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One 12/15/2017 broken in Quicken. Website NOT down as Quicken claims..

Quicken can not add the "Capital One Bank - New" accounts as instructed on 12/15/2017 (from here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-capital-one-bank-connectivity-updates-coming...

In Quicken when following these instructions, I get an error message that says the Capital One Website is down. This is not accurate as the Capital One website works just fine in my browsers.  It is only Quicken that cannot connect to Capital One anymore after 12/15.

Please fix ASAP!!
  • Kim RossmanKim Rossman Member
    edited December 2017
    Ann Hopta said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One double layer of security has caused problems since its inception.

I have Quicken 2017 on Windows 10, version R15, Build 26.1.15.5.  I realize I am not the only one with this problem but when is Quicken going to fix it??? Capital One is not the only company with a double layer of security.  No problems with any of the others.
    When I update I first get "Login info incorrect" (it is correct). Then I get fix your password.  I do this and then I get one of 2 screens - One says "Success your password has been updated" or the screen updating the password freezes. If screen does not freeze then it continues to update and wants to send me a code.  I enter email - nothing comes - sometimes it updates and other times it fails.
    REALLY!!!  I updated to 2017 as I was advised it would work.  Well guess what, it hasn't.  This has been going on for months.  I am not a new user to Quicken.  I have been using it for years and have been through many versions.
    And I just read that the Capital One site is offline - please don't reply that is the problem.  It doesn't work when online.

This most likely is not a Quicken problem. Specifically, Capital One most likely changed a network protocol, IP address or firewall setting. It will be up to Capital One to relay the correct information to Quicken. Now let’s see if Quicken relays an accurate solution to its customers.
  • David SniderDavid Snider Member
    edited December 2017
    Matt said:

Yup.. Quicken says the capital one website is down. But the Capital One website is NOT down. Works just fine except in Quicken. Come on, get your stuff together!

How do you know that it's a Quicken issue?  Yes, the Capital One website is up, but their web service/APIs (which I assume is what Quicken uses to connect) could be down or malfunctioning. Quicken & Cap One need to work together to fix this. 

I have about 15 other accounts in Quicken and Cap One is the only one that has these consistent problems, so I'm hesitant to lay all the blame on Quicken. 
  • Mike AuberMike Auber Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled NEW 12/15/17: Capital One accounts not working; their website is offline.

Your statement "Capital One's websites are currently offline" is inaccurate.  I can login to my Capital One account normally.  It's a compatability problem between Cap One & Quicken.  I expect a quick fix or I'll be changing my bank as it was the banks call to reject Direct Connect which worked just fine!
  • WindowViperWindowViper Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

I finally received an answer!!!!!!!!   I contacted capital one tech support again!  They know of the problem, it's their security interfacing with quicken security, no estimated time on the resolution.  HOWEVER.. the gentleman on the capital one tech support was extremely helpful.  If anyone wants to download the transactions from capital one to keep up to date with finances, he showed me an alternative way until the problem is fixed.  I'm not much of a procedure writer but here goes:

View your transactions.  

click on  More Account Services

then click Download Transactions.   a pop up will appear.

Export to Financial Software

from the dropdown:   QFX (Quicken)

(I used a date range for I only needed a few days - if you do statement, it may duplicate some of your transactions but you can delete them from quicken.)

Begin EXPORT 

then if you get a pop up that says open,  open it.    then quicken will give you a pop up asking you to create a new   or link to existing.     I chose link to existing and chose my capital one card   BAM  the transactions I had for the past week showed up.   only one was a duplicate and I just deleted it. 

I hope this helps in the meantime while they figure this out.

For someone who's "not much of a procedure writer," S P, that is one well written procedure -- and quite helpful. I agree with everyone else that Quicken and Capital One need to clean up their act, but it's good to know there is a workaround that works. I just tried it and it worked well for me too.

I do worry that when Express Web Connect is up and running again, it may duplicate what has been downloaded through this manual procedure. In fact, I have noticed over the past several weeks, even when Express Web Connect is working consistently, duplication often occurs. So I think it's important to be cautious about selecting the date range when using the manual procedure in order at least to minimize the workload needed to eliminate duplicates.
  • edited December 2017
    S P said:

I finally received an answer!!!!!!!!   I contacted capital one tech support again!  They know of the problem, it's their security interfacing with quicken security, no estimated time on the resolution.  HOWEVER.. the gentleman on the capital one tech support was extremely helpful.  If anyone wants to download the transactions from capital one to keep up to date with finances, he showed me an alternative way until the problem is fixed.  I'm not much of a procedure writer but here goes:

View your transactions.  

(I used a date range for I only needed a few days - if you do statement, it may duplicate some of your transactions but you can delete them from quicken.)

Begin EXPORT 

then if you get a pop up that says open,  open it.    then quicken will give you a pop up asking you to create a new   or link to existing.     I chose link to existing and chose my capital one card   BAM  the transactions I had for the past week showed up.   only one was a duplicate and I just deleted it. 

My online account does not give me the option to "Export to financial software"  it will only download to a csv file.  When I contacted Capital One text support, they told me that I have to download a CSV converter in order to allow the transactions to be imported into Quicken.
  • Ernie OndriasErnie Ondrias Member
    edited December 2017
    Matt said:

Ever since quicken was spun off, it has gone seriously downhill....... 
  • PAULPAUL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

does upgrading to quicken 2018 fix this issue, i have 2015, and i  know they are going to make me upgrade next year..
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    This is a known issue: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-15-17-capital-one-accounts-not-working

Please monitor this thread for further details.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

where did you find the option to specify a date range to download... never shows up on my screen..... last 100 transactions, like it or not..... quicken has sure gone downhill...
  • S PS P Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

it is from the capital one site, when you download the transactions it allows to pick a date range.  not from quicken..

edited December 2017
    Ann Hopta said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One double layer of security has caused problems since its inception.

I have Quicken 2017 on Windows 10, version R15, Build 26.1.15.5.  I realize I am not the only one with this problem but when is Quicken going to fix it??? Capital One is not the only company with a double layer of security.  No problems with any of the others.
    When I update I first get "Login info incorrect" (it is correct). Then I get fix your password.  I do this and then I get one of 2 screens - One says "Success your password has been updated" or the screen updating the password freezes. If screen does not freeze then it continues to update and wants to send me a code.  I enter email - nothing comes - sometimes it updates and other times it fails.
    REALLY!!!  I updated to 2017 as I was advised it would work.  Well guess what, it hasn't.  This has been going on for months.  I am not a new user to Quicken.  I have been using it for years and have been through many versions.
    And I just read that the Capital One site is offline - please don't reply that is the problem.  It doesn't work when online.

no.... it's a quicken problem..... no trouble at all logging on to Capital One website... quicken should have made sure their system worked BEFORE forcing this change..not using paying customers as beta testers.....
  • S PS P Member
    edited December 2017

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Breaking news: Hello All,

I've received confirmation that Capital One is still working on their system and because of this are currently blocking all aggregation traffic from their site. The Quicken team is aware of this and working with Capital One so that when the back end work is done on their site Quicken can make the proper changes to re-establish communication. 

I suggest following this announcement to be notified when communication between Quicken and Capital One are back up:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-15-17-capital-one-accounts-not-working

*Disregard the Capital One site being offline part of the announcement, as the site came back up around 9pm EST o n 12/15, though the Capital One site is currently up, work on their end is still being performed. 

Hope this information helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • JackWilsonJackWilson Member
    edited December 2017
    Ann Hopta said:

Ernie- Capial One admits it is a problem that Capital One has caused and needs to fix. I verified that this morning with Capital One.
  • edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One Bank Connectivity.

Keep getting unexpected error when I try to connect to Capital One Bank update services  for the new connection method "Express Web Connect".  Capital One Bank says it is a Quicken error and Quicken support cannot be contacted. Is this any way to run a business?
  • JackWilsonJackWilson Member
    edited December 2017
    Harry-It's not a Quicken problem.  Verified Capital One bank problem.
  • Kyle DaleyKyle Daley Member
    edited December 2017

I've received confirmation that Capital One is still working on their system and because of this are currently blocking all aggregation traffic from their site. The Quicken team is aware of this and working with Capital One so that when the back end work is done on their site Quicken can make the proper changes to re-establish communication. 

I suggest following this announcement to be notified when communication between Quicken and Capital One are back up:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-15-17-capital-one-accounts-not-working

*Disregard the Capital One site being offline part of the announcement, as the site came back up around 9pm EST o n 12/15, though the Capital One site is currently up, work on their end is still being performed. 

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Would you consider posting this in the official thread?  No updates on an "official" thread don't alert the followers and cause us to scour the internet to find this one post.

Thank you.
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

not a good option....frankly, it sux... downloads last 100 transactions...
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

again... no... the popup on the CO site just has an option of download type....csv, qfx.....unless it's a browser issue....
    edited December 2017

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

doubt that they would do that..... it's no waste of time for THEM if we have to hunt and peck to try and find solutions for problems with their software that should be readily available if they had any REAL customer service, and it keeps us from bothering them....
  • EjMartinezEjMartinez Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

This works and I used it. You just got to put the date of your last transaction and it will download anything after that..Don't like it,but it works
  • S PS P Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

Ernie,  mine says QFX (Quicken)  
  • chas0803chas0803 Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

Not me. I only get CSV download option; using Chrome
  • GregGreg Member
    edited December 2017
    S P said:

View your transactions.  

Begin EXPORT 

I'm using Chrome and it gives me the option of CSV, QFX (Quicken), or QBO (Quickbooks). 

Chrome Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit)
This discussion has been closed.