Capital One - Check # Issues

When I’m downloading my transactions from Capital One Bank, my check number is not being populated in the check number field in Quicken 2018.

Comments

• Kathy GinevanKathy Ginevan Member
    edited July 2018
    Switch to "Personal Capital" before Quicken deketes this!

It works and is free
  • Pete BelknapPete Belknap Member
    edited August 2018
    Neither is mine.  I called Capital One and was also told that their online bill pay is no longer working in Quicken when using the Express Connect.  This whole fiasco with Quicken 2018 and Capital One lately has not been fun.  Makes me want to find a new bank.
    edited July 2018
    It is not the bank. It is Quicken. The banks will cont to make changers for security. Quicken must learn to keep up.
  • edited December 2017

It is not the bank. It is Quicken. The banks will cont to make changers for security. Quicken must learn to keep up.

As per Capital One and all other financial institutions that connect with Quicken, they are CONTRACTUALLY required to contact Quicken whenever they change any protocol in their download process.  This includes making any changes to their website.  In almost all cases, they fail to hold up their end of their contract with Quicken.  

This is not the first issue with Capital One.  It's a long standing issue with them, where eventually they get it fixed, but then break it again.

Capital One's IT department has zero clue what they are doing with Quicken.  They make changes willy-nilly with no regard to how it will effect downloading their transactions into Quicken.

Personally, I would just move my banking and credit cards from Capital One to a more reliable bank.

People complain about leaving Quicken...when in reality they should be leaving Capital One in droves.  
    edited January 2018

I have accts with other banks. We had no problem making the transition when owned by Inuit.

Quicken IT people fix the problem by telling us to leave Capital One. Hire a better IT crew. You are essentially saying your IT dept can't handle the problem even after12 days!!
  • Pete BelknapPete Belknap Member
    edited August 2018
    I just spoke to Capital One again and they tell me that as long as Quicken connects to the Cap 1 servers, that there is nothing else to be done.  He suggested there might be a setting in Quicken to set what comes down or not.  I am not aware of any such setting.  I have not seen any response from Quicken on this yet either - only that a couple of other posts to this subject were removed.  Ugh.  
  • EdEd Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm using Quicken 2018 and noticed the same thing since the switch to Express Web Connect. I have a feeling that's the way it's going to be. Fortunately, for me at least, most everything these days is Electronic Funds Transfer - I write precious few checks.
  • Steve LangSteve Lang Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One Bank.

Check number missing when you download transactions to your checking account register. Anyone els having this problem? This looks like a Capital One issue as the new website does not have the check number displayed
  • edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled capital one downloading check numbers.

I am using quicken 2017 for windows and downloading from capital one checking.  It no longer sends check numbers down under express connect.  Anybody have any thoughts? 
  • Lane ChiassonLane Chiasson Member
    edited August 2018
    I am about to change banks and stop using Quicken!
  • feobrienfeobrien Member
    edited January 2018
    Seems I am not alone.  Since the Capital One "upgrade",  check numbers are no longer downloaded. Upgrade takes us one step backwards.  My little Credit Union does so much better, maybe it's time to move everything there.
  • edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Check Numbers Missing from Capital One.

In 2018 and 2016 with check numbers not appearing at all only with CapOne

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Capital One Express Connect.
  • William TWilliam T Member
    edited July 2018
    Capital One and Quicken transaction download is such a problem, I am looking at new banks and new software even though I have been a quicken user for 15+ year.  I will forego my history because of the huge problem with downloading.  

I also had a problem with QuickBooks that downloaded the incorrect Routing number and caused the data verification and consequently data back to fail.  The simple fix by Intuit's part of either not checking the Routing number or not placing the imported wrong routing number in the cusip number data field in QB was fixed in 24 hours after contacting Investor relations.  

Why can't Inuit get it right?  I would rather not change, but there does not seem to be any progress towards correcting this problem.  
  • edited July 2018
    I have the same problem but noticed Quicken will still let you use the "arrange by check numbers" function and does seem to arrange by it meaning Quicken has the numbers but doesn't display them if it does this. This function is under the gear on the right under sorting options when you open the register for the account. And in reply to a previous comment the check numbers on Capital One Bank are listed. You normally get PAID CHECK # and the number so Quicken should be able to recover check numbers and list them. I for one am disappointed in Quicken. I understand Capital One Bank may be listing their check numbers different than other banks but that should be taken care of by the Quicken software.
  • edited August 2018
    Having the same issue with no check number and hoping that Quicken can come up with a solution.
  • edited August 2018
    What is even worse is when I update my accounts in Quicken it not only doesn't get the check numbers, it wipes out the ones I recorded. Also now I notice not all the transactions are being downloaded. Soon I will be able to use the Quicken disk for a paper weight.

• William TWilliam T Member
    edited August 2018
    What is even better now is that the direct download from the Capital One website is downloading transactions for the last several months and there is no good way to delete them before they are accepted into the check register.  This is an improvement?  It took me almost half an hour to delete the 40 to 50 duplicate checks making sure I wasn't deleting the original.  
  • edited August 2018
    I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Quicken and Capital One today regarding the non-downloading of transactions and failure to include check numbers.  Quicken advised that if I am able to connect to Capital One, which I am doing with the + connection, then what is downloaded is dependant on Capital One.  Capital One advised that they now have a 24 hour waiting period after your transactions are posted before they can be downloaded. Now to make sure you understand, they don't download "pending" transactions and as an example, transactions with a cleared date of 8/6/2018 will not be able to be downloaded into Quicken until 8/8/2018.  Now that is what I was told and of course I will not know until tomorrow (8/8/2018) if that is really true!

As for the check numbers, the Capital One rep said they were not aware of this and I was referred to a manager who was helpful and said that he would escalate this issue.

I did advise Capital One that the failure to include the check numbers in the download would be a deal breaker for my continuing to do business with them.  I have four business accounts and three personal accounts and don't have time to be manually entering, looking up, check numbers, etc.

If they can't fix this within a week I will have to take my business elsewhere and make sure I can download all transaction info in a timely manner before I turn over my money!

I will say that the Quicken Support person I spoke to was able to completely understand my problem of failure of Cap One transactions to timely download and walked me through several steps using the Screen Share part of the Quicken help menu.  I set up a new test file and was able to connect and download about 45 days of transactions but the last downloaded date was Friday 8/3/2018.  I didn't pick up the transactions from Monday 8/9/2018. 
  • edited August 2018

Neither is mine.  I called Capital One and was also told that their online bill pay is no longer working in Quicken when using the Express Connect.  This whole fiasco with Quicken 2018 and Capital One lately has not been fun.  Makes me want to find a new bank.

First Quicken 2018 is not good at all. Second Capital One has new system, and not listing check # in a separate column. Quicken is not intelligent enough to realize that.  Both Quicken and Capital one are bad organizations. Downloaded transactions unnecessarily need more work. The Quicken and Capital one together screwed the downloaded transactions.
  • edited August 2018

I just spoke to Capital One again and they tell me that as long as Quicken connects to the Cap 1 servers, that there is nothing else to be done.  He suggested there might be a setting in Quicken to set what comes down or not.  I am not aware of any such setting.  I have not seen any response from Quicken on this yet either - only that a couple of other posts to this subject were removed.  Ugh.  

How I Fixed:
    1. I saved quicken file under different name
    2. Re-added the accounts again
    3. deactivated the old registered accounts.
    4. Ran one step update with quicken (using Id, password at capital one).
    5. I was successful downloading the transactions to new account
    6.. I went back to account listing, selected the old registered account, copied all the transaction of previous months or years.
    7. Added these copied transactions into the re-added account(s) from step 2.

I solved this connectivity issue. However capital one has screwed the system, it is not listing the check# in a separate column, and quicken is not smart enough to extract check# to list.

I hope my points above help you.  If you need further help, please post your question.

Regards
  • edited August 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Check Numbers Missing from Capital One.

In 2018 and 2016 with check numbers not appearing at all only with CapOne

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Capital One Express Connect.

Linda,

Capital One has screwed the system, not listing the check# in a separate column. Therefore Quicken can not download the check#.

Also, Quicken is a bad product