Tax Planner does not work after update to 2018 Premier for Windows

I just updated to Quicken 2018 Premier for Windows from Quicken 2016. The tax planner does not work. It brought one of my scenarios - including and error where it brings in 2016 miscellaneous itemized deductions even though I am doing a 2017 projection (all other figures are 2017), but won't allow me to create new scenarios (new scenarios have no data in them.

Is there a fix for these issues?

Comments

• edited January 11
    Nearly the same problem for me. Tax Planner advertises capability to estimate 2017 and 2018 tax years, but the drop-down menu offers 2016 and 2017. And when I choose 2017, data from 2016 is populated. Useless so far. My updates are current, so this gross error remains unfixed.
  • edited December 2017

Nearly the same problem for me. Tax Planner advertises capability to estimate 2017 and 2018 tax years, but the drop-down menu offers 2016 and 2017. And when I choose 2017, data from 2016 is populated. Useless so far. My updates are current, so this gross error remains unfixed.

Check the individual settings under each tax line item in the Tax Planner.

In some cases, you might have the "Quicken Data (from 2017)" and "No projected amount" selected for each individual tax line item topic.  

In some cases, if there are no transactions for the year, the Tax Planner will enter the previous year's amount.  I had this with my Charitable Contributions.  Until I actually had a contribution for the year, the Tax Planner took my amount as the year before (2016) amount.  
  • edited January 2018
    Thanks. I understand that Tax Planner erroneously takes information from the wrong tax year if there are no transactions in the Correct year. That needs to be fixed. And the dropdown box shows functionality for tax years 2016 and 2017 only. That needs to be fixed. And the responsible person at Quicken should be embarassed- or fired.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Tax Planner works as expected in my version of QW18 Premier. I even updated the tax table in Scenarios with 2018 rates and produced a reliable projection for 2018; incorporating a few tweaks to account for standard deduction nuances. If you have issues beyond the normal operations described by @B Hawks, the Mondo Patch, data file validation and the QCleanUI process would be remedies to try in the order presented.
  • edited February 2018

Thanks. I understand that Tax Planner erroneously takes information from the wrong tax year if there are no transactions in the Correct year. That needs to be fixed. And the dropdown box shows functionality for tax years 2016 and 2017 only. That needs to be fixed. And the responsible person at Quicken should be embarassed- or fired.

Quicken has ALWAYS had the tax planner for two years in every version.

For example, Quicken 2016 has the tax planner for the tax years 2015 and 2016.

Quicken year versions were typically released in October of the previous year version.  So Quicken 2016 was released October 2015...thus the need for tax year 2015.  And of course 2016, since that tax year should be included in the current version.

However, Quicken has never gone beyond the two year tax planner.  One issue is they have no clue what the tax laws will be for the next year.  Imagine the mess of the 2018 tax laws being implemented and needing to be coded, which will take some time.  Second, Quicken would like you to buy a more current version to keep up with the tax law changes.

So, you should never think that Quicken will go beyond that two year scope.

Now, having a subscription with the "latest and greatest" Quicken version already installed, I would guess that you will continue to get rolling updates of tax years and tax changes as they are prepared by the Quicken programming team.  That is one of the advantages of going to a subscription plan...without having to update to a completely new version.

And obviously, the longer the term of your subscription the more current your tax planner will be.  

Now, finally...as to your outrage that Quicken only has a tax planner for 2016 and 2017...how do you realistically expect Quicken to have a tax planner for 2018 when the ink is barely dry on the 2018 tax bill.  Do you know what's in that plan?  Have you read the bill?  Have you done the calculations?

How in the world would you think Quicken will have this available so soon?  And if it was available, you know that there would be a myriad of complaints about how inaccurate the calculations are.  It's a no win situation for Quicken.
  • robert Wrobert W Member
    edited January 11
    Thanks all. I've tried a few things and still have the same issues. Even though I have 2017 data in some categories, and I have set 2017 as the tax year, the planner uses 2016 data in at least one field and there is no option to change that on a field by field basis. Also, and something I just found, I can't get the detail view in any scenario other than the projected scenario (the option to review the detailed list of included payments/credits is not available for scenarios 1, 2, and 3). Finally, although I am not looking for the 2018 projection tool yet, since markus1957 is seeing it, there is clearly something wrong with my installation and Harry Hartford's installation. 
    edited December 2017
    robert W said:

Thanks all. I've tried a few things and still have the same issues. Even though I have 2017 data in some categories, and I have set 2017 as the tax year, the planner uses 2016 data in at least one field and there is no option to change that on a field by field basis. Also, and something I just found, I can't get the detail view in any scenario other than the projected scenario (the option to review the detailed list of included payments/credits is not available for scenarios 1, 2, and 3). Finally, although I am not looking for the 2018 projection tool yet, since markus1957 is seeing it, there is clearly something wrong with my installation and Harry Hartford's installation. 

User Entered is always an option. Go to the Quicken support page and find the tools suggested to troubleshoot your issues. 

Also keep in mind, Quicken has always shown current year in the details section regardless of the latest year shown in the pull-down. So in effect it has always been a current year/previous version year planner that always causes problems on New Years Day when it is no longer possible to view the previous year in the planner without re-setting your computer clock. So tomorrow 2017 will evaporate from the planner and you will only see 2018 and 2016 transactions.
  • swedtexswedtex Member
    edited April 2018
    After I updated Q deluxe 2017 to 2018, I lost all the user entered data for the 2017 tax year.  Now for my 2017 tax scenario I get a mish mash of 2017 data from quicken and 2018 projected data which is totally useless.  Any way to recover tax planner scenario/data I had before the  update?  Is Q planning on a fix/update soon?
  • JoeBJoeB Member
    edited January 2018
    I have a similar problem as swedtex while trying to display tax planner for year 2017 using Quicken Premier 2018. This problem started today, 1/1/2018.The Tax Planner year is stuck on 2016, and all of the data fields are empty, though the scheduled expenses show for 2018 (as expected). Fortunately, all of the reports are working correctly, including those in the tax group, and I can select tax year 2016, 2017, or 2018. (I wanted to show my 2017 data through Tax Planner, as it quickly shows the data in a summary form.)
  • edited January 11
    You may want to refer back to the note from markus1957, SuperUser. He seems to have a good understanding of the flawed system, and seems sufficiently familiar that he accepts it without criticism. He may be willing to share his work-around methodology with other users.
  • edited January 2018
    robert W said:

Unbelievable.

Yet another poorly conceived "module" in Quicken.

And yet, so many willing to just gloss over the problem and accept it as it is.

Ridiculous.  If I select the 2017 tax planner...I want it to show 2017 transactions.  Not the current year or 2016.

And to me "User Entered" is not a sufficient option.  If that's the case, why should I even use Quicken to estimate my tax situation???
  • edited January 2018

You may want to refer back to the note from markus1957, SuperUser. He seems to have a good understanding of the flawed system, and seems sufficiently familiar that he accepts it without criticism. He may be willing to share his work-around methodology with other users.

His workaround is to manually enter the totals in the appropriate boxes.

That's a lousy workaround, in my opinion.  Why should I have Quicken, which already has all my 2017 transactions...but won't pull those dates into it's own Tax Planner for the correct year.

A horrific design.  
    edited January 2018

Manual entries are only required when you want to override Quicken's various methods of projecting annual values. Very few of my entries are manual. Most are based on scheduled transactions. The rollover into a New Year is always frustrating because most users are trying to estimate the previous year's tax owed and Quicken doesn't make it available without re-setting your computer clock to 12/31. I hope the developers will be changing it to calculate on a current year/last year basis rather than current year/previous version year; that makes more sense for a subscription product and will minimize updating.

I also noticed evidence of corruption in the details tables with the roll-over to 2018. It took some effort but they are back to my preferred settings. The other day I did some data file validations and a Copy routine that also perturbed the settings in Tax Planner.

I might in a few days put together a workaround instruction set to use the Scenarios feature to estimate 2018 tax owed with the new rates. I've done that already and it's providing a good projection (A big thank-you from this retiree to Paul and Mitch for a "tax break" that is raising my taxes; the planner clearly exposes the shell game of doubling the standard deduction, then taking away personal exemptions and many itemized deductions for what it is, a tax increase for most people who used to itemize deductions). It's probably going to be a while before Quicken updates the tables and calculations. For those stuck on how to get 2017 data to show in the Planner, the simplest means is to set your computer clock to 12/31 temporarily while you work in Quicken.
  • edited January 2018

Here's a better one.  I've downloaded Intuit's Tax Caster app on my smartphone a few months back.  It's manual entry, but that's OK as I've updated the entries there to coincide with my entries in Quicken's Tax Planner completely up to date through December 31, 2017.

Of course, now that it's January 1, 2018, I had to go back to Quicken's Tax Planner and use User Entered for the amounts that were completely messed up.

I have an exact side by side comparison of the data entered...per line item.  Everything matches up just fine...income, check...deductions, check...adjusted gross income, check...tax withheld, check.  Exact numbers in both software. 

So...Quicken's Tax Planner estimates that I have a refund of $3531...and Tax Caster says I have a refund of $4064.

Literally, the same exact data entered into both...correctly (I triple checked each entry) and there's over a $500 difference.

What does that tell you about Quicken's Tax Planner?  And I have basically a very simple tax return now.  Yet, the wide gap in the difference between the two. 
    edited January 2018

Assuming AMT is not involved, my guess would be either the medical deduction or QDI. Quicken is using 10% AGI for medical (the law until a few weeks ago). Also if you don't enter the amount of QDI, Quicken treats divs as regular income. I can pretty much nail my tax obligation in Planner, as long as I compensate for the current errors; those are vastly smaller in number than a few versions back.
  • edited January 2018

So, as usual...the Quicken Tax Planner is wrong...which is a very warm feeling for a financial software package.  

Compensating for ANYTHING in a software that contains "Tax Planner" modules is just plain wrong.  Why should I have to compensate?  Why doesn't Quicken just do the math correctly?
    edited January 2018

Tax Planner has come a long way since 2014 when it was horrible; 2015 on has resulted in steady improvement. If QDI is the source of the difference, Quicken will do the math if you give it the number to work with. FI's don't specify whether a div is QDI or not, often they call interest divs (bond mutual funds). You can complain or find the source of the discrepancy and advise Quicken how to fix it. I've found that to be pretty effective over the last few years.
  • edited January 2018

I have them specified as a regular dividend in BOTH products.

So, no...there should not be a discrepancy.

After all, I had to MANUALLY enter the dividend amount in Quicken's Tax Planner...because of course it erased my 2017 entries as of Jan 1 2018. 
    edited January 2018

In that case a $500 difference when you're not concerned about the effects of QDI should be considered "close enough for government work". Are you looking for accuracy or an inaccurate match between 2 products? You ought to be able to track down what value(s) are causing the difference.
  • edited January 2018

I'm looking for a figure, with the SAME EXACT amounts entered in the SAME exact entry fields, to at least be close.

I've checked all the entries.  Three times.  The are all in the exact same fields on both software.  One of them is calculating the tax incorrectly. 

Over $500 is not close.  Period.  Stop making excuses for Quickens inaccuracies. 
    edited January 2018

They both are incorrect if you are not accounting for QDI & LTCG, probably by more than $500. 

I can only say in my situation as a retiree, Quicken provides an accurate projection of my tax owed and highlights areas to minimize the tax burden. I save more money in taxes each year utilizing tax planner than the cost of the software. It's worth it to me to understand what is going on under the hood to the point that I use a test file to make sure I understand how Quicken is calculating certain sections and making adjustments if need be to compensate for any inconsistencies with current tax law. This past year no adjustments were required until they changed the medical deduction a few weeks ago.
  • edited January 2018

Quicken 2018 premier tax planner showing 2016 and 2017 years instead of 2017 and 2018.
  • Tony4Tony4 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Me too.  I go to Planner and select 2017.  It uses projected data from 2018.  I have no control over where it gets the date beyond selecting the tax year.  Is Quicken going to fix this?
  • rrh1072rrh1072 Member
    edited January 2018

My 2017 data was screwed up by 2018 information. Spent 2 hours with support and all they did was send me links to inaccurate info. finally talked to a supervisor after 15 requests. The result was they have no idea when this issue will be fixed. The only positive was the reports for each year are accurate. so when they get the display fixed maybe it will be useful again. Right now it's a mess. 
  • rrh1072rrh1072 Member
    edited January 2018

I'm not worried about correct calculation of estimated tax, I'm worried about the integrity of the data being collected. my estimates for 2017 now include 2018 data. That's the problem! Lame excuse.....

• MarkMark Member
    edited January 2018
    robert W said:

Very good point. It is useless as it is. but, i am going to try to reset my computer clock back to 12.31.2017 and see what that does.
  • MarkMark Member
    edited January 2018
    swedtex said:

After I updated Q deluxe 2017 to 2018, I lost all the user entered data for the 2017 tax year.  Now for my 2017 tax scenario I get a mish mash of 2017 data from quicken and 2018 projected data which is totally useless.  Any way to recover tax planner scenario/data I had before the  update?  Is Q planning on a fix/update soon?

Same [problem. Tax planner is useless. When i contacted support via chat, they ended the support session without notice when i fully explained the issue.
  • DesertOasisDesertOasis Member
    edited January 2018
    robert W said:

What I find difficult to understand, is that Quicken can't filter and accept only 2017 dated transactions to use in the 2017 year of their Tax Planner.

How difficult is this in the development of the Tax Planner module? Doesn't this ONLY make sense that the Tax Planner for 2017 should ONLY be using transactions that occur in 2017?

I find it absolutely incredulous that the developers of this software have so poorly thought this out.  
  • MarkMark Member
    edited January 2018
    robert W said:

i reset my computer clock back to 12.31.2017 and the correct data showed up for most of the fields except for estimated taxes paid. but all the other fields showed the correct figures for income, other income, cap gains, div, int, deductions, etc. A horrible work around that went haywire when i went to correct the estimated taxes paid to see what i need to pay Jan 14. they the figures all reverted to zero ($0).

• KPirbhaiKPirbhai Member
    edited February 2018

I upgrade Quicken each year for this feature.....today I installed 2018 and guess and the tax planner is showing 2017 rates!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure how @Marcus1957 got the Mondo patch to give him 2018 rates ( I did go and install the Mondo Patch which can be found by searching for "gen00555 quicken" from any browser), just spent an hr with Quicken customer support and they have confirmed that they are still working on developing the Module. I am more upset that they charging a subscription for a half baked product. Their Q2018 marketing material says that it helps you on top of your taxes but that is not true!