Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Bill Reminders don't always update correctly - skipping months (updated topic)

Daytona_KnightDaytona_Knight Member ✭✭
In December, I updated from Q2017 to Q2018 deluxe for Windows. I had several scheduled transactions set up to be paid on a given day of the month and they worked fine in Q2017. Pay the bill and it shows as due again same time next month.

After upgrading to Q2018, when I paid a scheduled transaction for December, it shows up as due again in February, two months away. The manage manual bills and income function shows the transactions as due monthly.

End of December, I edited all the transaction due dates (this instance and all future instances) to set the due date to January again. Now, in January, when I pay a scheduled transaction, it shows as due again in March - two months after it is paid.

Why are my scheduled transactions skipping a month.

Best Answer

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the various issues with scheduled transactions (reminders) and we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

Our Product Teams have been hard at work creating multiple solutions targeted at resolving the reported issues with scheduled transactions, e.g skipping months, duplicating entered transactions, reappearing as due/overdue after entry, etc.

There are several fixes for the Bills & Income scheduled reminders included with the upcoming R22.12 release for Quicken for Windows 2019 (subscription) version.

The R22.12 release is estimated to be released tonight (9/23/19) to all subscribed Quicken members.

**Please be aware, this is an estimate and may be delayed if any issues/concerns are found**

Due to the large size of this thread and number of comments; we are closing this post and ask that if Users experience an issue with scheduled transactions (reminders) after updating to the R22.12 version to please create a new post detailing the issue.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are the transactions scheduled on these fixed dates: the 29th, 30th or 31st?
    That seems to indicate that they are now being skipped since there are no such days in February.

Schedule these transactions to occur on the "last day" of the month. That makes them adjust to the varying length of each month.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited September 2018
    No, they are all through the month. The same thing happened for December. Just last night, I paid a scheduled transaction which was due on Jan 25 (25'th of every month). It scheduled the next payment on March 25.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

No, they are all through the month. The same thing happened for December. Just last night, I paid a scheduled transaction which was due on Jan 25 (25'th of every month). It scheduled the next payment on March 25.

Barry,
    are you using Quicken for Mac or for Windows? What year (version)? Are you updated to the latest available patch release level?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018

Q2018 deluxe for Windows V R4.10 Build 27.1.4.10
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I am seeing the same behavior: Quicken 2018 for Windows V R4,10 Build 27.1.4.10
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I don't know what could be causing your issues. In my Q 2018 R4.10, all my manual bill reminders that are or were due in January schedule correctly for their next occurrence in February.

Everybody,
    please provide more details about the problem reminders.
    Are they manual bill reminders, online bill pay reminders or linked to biller transactions?
    What is their scheduling frequency? E.g., Monthly, every 1 month on the 1st day.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and the required Intuit ID to Quicken ID
    conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2015 ... Release R15  *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2016 ... Release R14.1 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R15  *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 ... Release R 4.10*, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2015 ... Release R 6 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 ... Release R 2 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada users: Do not download the first set of patch or Mondo Patch
    files in the above links. They apply to Quicken US users only. Instead, scroll
    down the webpage to the Quicken Canada section and download that file. For 2015
    and 2016 it may be hiding behind a clickable word "here".

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the Mondo Patch file (US)
    or Canada Mondo Patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links
    above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step:

- Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

2) Validate

Validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate
    File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the
    copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your
    Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem
    first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file
    that does not exhibit these symptoms.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Help about quicken shows version R4.10 and I am using windows 10. I used the quicken file copy function to make a copy of the data file, renamed the data file so quicken would use the new copy, reloaded the quicken mondo/patch file, ran the quicken updates file just to make sure, did a validate and a super validate. The validates only mentioned a transfer to an investment dated in the future (expected as I had entered a paycheck early which contained transfers to an investment).

After that, I paid a reminder for an online transaction due Feb 1 (1st of every month) to put an amount from the checking account in my bank into the share account in my credit union. The reminder is not linked. It has been working for over a year. Immediately after submitting the payment and doing a one step update to send the request to the bank, there was no future transaction showing as scheduled for the reminder. After exiting and restarting quicken, the reminder was present again, scheduled for April 1st.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Not sure it helps - but I have the same exact problem and have also tried all the recommended solutions with no progress. Quicken 2018 R4.10 27.1.4.10
    Very frustrating cant rely on Quicken anymore to determine when bills are due.  
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    The bill reminders that are giving me trouble are manual, monthly (various days of the month), for online bill pay (not linked).  But it does not happen with every reminder.  I have not yet noticed a pattern for those that are not incrementing properly to the next month.
    I have not yet had the occasion to use any of the quarterly or annual reminders, so I can't report on them.
    Quicken 2018 Premier for Windows V R4,10 Build 27.1.4.10
    These reminders have been reliable for years and this problem only popped up when I upgraded to 2018.
    I have run the Mondo Patch, as advised, and validated and Supervalidated (no errors with either) according to instructions.
    I will keep this thread posted as to whether the problem has now been fixed.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I just did an 'enter' on a monthly reminder for a a bill paid by automatic draft - no online bill pay involved.  This one re-scheduled properly.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Following up on my comments from 1 week ago (above):
    After running the Mondo Patch, validating, and supervalidating, with no errors, I have continued to experience the same behavior with the bill payment reminders.  I paid two monthly bills due February 8th (online bill pay) and the program rescheduled the next payments for April 8th on both of them.
    Like Barry Berry, I have noticed that entries that do not involve online bill pay are rescheduling properly.

This advice from UKR - "If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms." - is not going to be helpful.  I could go back to a backup done before the problem started, but that would be a database created with Quicken 2017.  As soon as I upgrade that old database to 2018, I believe the problem would start again.
    Because this problem started when I upgraded to 2018.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging to main topic thread.

I have the same issue. Today I tried deleting the bill and the payee and recreated all from scratch but the end result was the same. I did notice that when I selected pay and the payment was in the queue to send to bill pay the next due date was correct (March 1st) but after transmitting to the bank (Wells Fargo) the next due date was incorrect (April 1st) 

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Scheduled Transactions for Bill Pay Items Are Skipping A Month.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled merging to main thread.

I also noticed that the next bill date was correct when the payment was in the queue to be sent, but once it was transmitted to the bank, the next due date changed to the next month. Since it looks like this problem can be re-created, Quicken should be able to fix it.  It is very annoying if you forget to change the pay date back a month because the cash flow is off and you might miss the scheduled payment. This should be a top priority of Quicken to fix!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Scheduled Transactions for Bill Pay Items Are Skipping A Month.
  • Paul26Paul26 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Scheduled Transactions for Bill Pay Items Are Skipping A Month.

Every time I submit a Bill Pay transactions that is scheduled monthly, the next scheduled transaction for that bill skips a month and I have to modify it so that it shows as becoming due the following month.  It throws the entire budget off. This has been happening ever since I created my new Quicken ID as required by Quicken to continue using the product. I am using Quicken 2018 for Windows, Version R5.15
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Same problem here.  They took a perfectly good product and made a mess of it by trying to get too fancy.
    edited July 2018
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience.  I'd like to get this in front of the Development teams but need some additional data for them to be able to research this.  If you are experiencing this issue, please open Quicken and go to the Bills tab, then open the Help menu at the top of Quicken and "Report a Problem."  Please include the screenshot and all log files listed, please also list the specific steps you are taking to enter/pay the bill and what type of transaction it is, i.e - linked bill reminder, online bill payment or manual entry.

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience.  I'd like to get this in front of the Development teams but need some additional data for them to be able to research this.  If you are experiencing this issue, please open Quicken and go to the Bills tab, then open the Help menu at the top of Quicken and "Report a Problem."  Please include the screenshot and all log files listed, please also list the specific steps you are taking to enter/pay the bill and what type of transaction it is, i.e - linked bill reminder, online bill payment or manual entry.

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah

Thank you Sarah.  I have tried to report this problem as instructed but keep getting the error message "Unable to send report to Quicken, please try again."  I am anxious to help as I would like the Quicken reminders to be as reliable as they used to be.
  • Paul26Paul26 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have documented as requested and sent a response.
    edited February 2018

Hello Everyone,

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for trying and I'm sorry that you're getting an error message when trying to send the info.  I'll send you an email through our internal support system with a link to upload that information, please keep an eye out for it.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited February 2018
    Paul said:

I have documented as requested and sent a response.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for submitting the information.  I have located the submission and provided the data in my ticket with Development.  As soon as an update or additional information is available, I'll be back to update this thread.

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I just entered a scheduled transaction with a 3 month reschedule interval. It scheduled the next transaction in august - 6 months.

By the way, I tried to report thru the Quicken program as requested but every time I selected report a problem, Quicken generated an error and an entry to tell what I was doing when the error occurred, then exited.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I entered another reminder with 1 month reschedule interval. Orignal due date was 16 Feb so the new due date should be 16 Mar. The new due date came up 16 Apr. This time I cant edit it to correct the due date. I tried to edit the due date to 16 Mar. The edit does not indicate anything wrong but the result was still 16 Apr. I even tried changing the due date to 17 Mar. The due date came out as 17 Apr.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm having the same exact problem. I've missed several payments and I have incurred late fees with may negatively impact my credit rating. I have an open support case with Quicken support. I hope they find a fix soon as the product is unusable.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Online bill pay reminders increment by 2 months after entering and sending..

Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2018 R4.10 Issue with online bill payments. I have bill reminders for online bill payments. When I enter the payment in the register, the due date of the next payment reminder increments by one month. When I use online update to send the payment., the bill payment reminder due date increments again, so that it is two months in the future. I have to go in and edit to reset the bill reminder to one month in the future. For example, I processed a payment tonight that is due on 2/18. After I entered the bill reminder in my account register, the next bill due date was 3/18. My next step was to run Update to send the payment to Wells Fargo for payment. After Update, the next bill due date was 4/18. My next step was to edit the bill reminder so that the next payment due date is 3/18. The bill reminder is not linked to the biller. This issue was not present in Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2017.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Scheduled Transactions.

Today, I found out that I cannot set the bill reminder due date back to March 22, 2018 (the next bill due date). I can enter the date in edit mode, but when I click "Done", the date reverts to April 22, 2018, which is two months out. (I have not tried deleting the payment and setting up new, but will if Quicken or the Quicken community does not come up with a remedy.)

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Online bill pay reminders increment by 2 months after entering and sending..
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with Quicken support this morning. Here is the email response I got from them:

Thank you for contacting Quicken Customer Support. After going through all the steps of recreating the issue your case has been escalated Product Development. Once a fix is available it will be pushed out into a patch. Please go in quicken go to help report a problem, and report this so they have an example of the issue, in the subject please place "Scheduled Transactions skip a month". This will help our Development Product team further investigate and apporach accordingly.

For now we can only advise you to check with us periodically if a new patch has come out for and update of your 2018.

Sincerely,
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018

Hello Everyone,

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
    I have not yet seen that email, in case you sent it already.
    Thank you
    edited February 2018

Hello Everyone,

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Eddie,

I'm so sorry you have not received the email yet.  I just re-sent it again, please let me know if it still doesn't come through this time.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2018

Hello Everyone,

image  image

Thank you,

Sarah

Got it, thank you
This discussion has been closed.