Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Bill Reminders don't always update correctly - skipping months (updated topic)

Answers

• ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay,  I had another bill reminder skip a month, after paying it from bills and income tab.  It seems that the bill reminder is "skipped" between the time of entering the transaction and sending it to the payee.  Read on for the details of when....I am using QW 2019 HBR R21.16

Manual bill is due on 09.06.  I paid and sent the bill on 08.31.

1.  I select this monthly, recurring, manual bill from bills and income tab.

2.  Press "enter" to open the "enter expense transaction" dialog.

3.  Completed the fields in this dialog and press "enter transaction" button.

4.  Payment now shows as ready to send in bills and income tab.

5.  I then click on "manage manual bills and income" button to check (in the table) if the bill reminder from the payment I just made skips a month.  At this stage, the table shows that the bill reminder has moved ahead one month....

6.   In bills and income, clicked on the "pay now" button to transmit the payment via my BofA direct connection.

7.  After the bill is sent in step 6, I again click on "manage manual bills and income" button and check the table to see if the bill reminder of the payment I just made skips another month.  At this stage, the table shows that the bill reminder has AGAIN moved ahead one month AND removed the entry observed in Step 5!  See image 1.

8.  In bills and income tab, I clicked on gear icon and view history table. 

At step 8....much to my surprise I see the bill (that was just paid) has 2 entries. See image 2.   One entry has the "status" of Ignored on the date I sent it and one has the "status" of Paid on the date I requested it to arrive at the payee.   Note, I most certainly did not "ignore" this bill.

So...in step 8, it seems that the erroneous ignore entry advances the bill reminder's next due date to the next month.  Then, when the bill is sent, Quicken AGAIN advances that same bill reminder an additional month.  Hense, the bill reminder in the "manage manual bills and income" table appears to have "skipped a month" in context of the e2e bill pay process.  

Is the bill considered paid (and reminder advanced) at the time I enter it into a register or when it is transmitted to the payee? Again, both actions advance the bill reminder one month, which is wrong.

In images 1 and 2, you can also see the same Ignore/paid behavior from my post on August 27.

@Quicken, I have data files, before/after, for each of the two occurrences I posted about in this thread.   How can I help you address this bug?

Image 1

Image 2

• Running Quicken 2019 but for some time now, I've experienced the following issue: I have both options selected to show bill reminders and recorded transactions on the calendar. I click a Bill Reminder on the calendar and make the online payment. Rather than disappearing, the scheduled reminder is still displayed, in addition to the recorded instance. This makes it confusing to tell if I've paid a bill or not. I've been having to manually select the scheduled bill reminder and select Ignore.
  • I have updated to the latest Version:
    Version R21.16
    Build 27.1.21.16
    Windows 8.1
    I printed 4 checks yesterday and all 4 reminders advanced to March, as opposed to October as they should have. I replied to Technical Support, reporting that the issue has not been resolved.
    Apparently, Quicken sees no need to comment on this string...
  • No Cloud Backup

My highest # of transactions is 6961
    My next highest is 1039

C:\USERS\CHARLIE\DOCUMENTS\QUICKEN\WALKER 2019

WINDOWS 8.0

It will not let me add the images to this comment...
  • KleinDanielKleinDaniel Member ✭✭
    Just to add fuel to the fire, this problem is continuing. I just paid a manual bill by launching it from the Bills and Reminder that was showing as due. Immediately after posting the payment, the same reminder showed up again for the same date. This time I edited the payment and advanced the next due date one month. It will be interesting to see if it stays there or somehow skips a month or two.
  • JRP68JRP68 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same frustrating problem as others in this thread. When I enter bills scheduled monthly -- either online payments or manual -- via the Bills & Income screen, the next scheduled bill skips a month. Obviously, this makes Quicken totally unreliable to keep on top of recurring payments. Using 2019 Quicken Premier for Windows, R21.16 Build 27.1.21.16 on a Windows 10 machine. Any input from Quicken on this problem, which has existed at least since early 2018?
  • QuickmanQuickman Member ✭✭
    Quicken/Admin, why no response to this thread???
  • I have the same problem. Mortgage payment, credit card bills, disappear out until March 2020. I have to go find them and "Edit this and all future instances "Due next on" date to bring back scheduled bills to current month.

This is a BIG problem and makes Quicken Billpay complete unreliable.
  • BSniggetyBSniggety Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've been having this issue for months. I've had a few late payments as well because Quicken was pushing the "next time due" date out into 2020 for a large handful of my monthly bills. I've tried everything short of deleting the bill and re-adding it. I've been manually re-setting the reminders for the next month. I've noticed that the bill schedule looks correct and doesn't start skipping payments until after I've scheduled that bill to be paid. (Rant Redacted)
  • vsmith30vsmith30 Member ✭✭
    Why does Quicken now as a routine skip scheduled bill payments causing me to miss a payment (they don't show on the calendar). The payments are scheduled monthly with no end date, but Quicken will omit a payment for one month and begin again the next month. This changes different bills and different accounts on a monthly basis. I have used Quicken for years and never had this problem. It is now happening every month.
  • rjohn10rjohn10 Member ✭✭
    So disappointed, just installed Quickens latest update R21.17. No fix offered for my issue with reappearing, paid transactions in the Calendar. I have attached a
    screen shot of the problem. Maybe this will help them to understand the problem. As you can see in the image, the VISA payment was made and grayed out as expected. After sending the payment , from the ledger, I returned to the calendar to find the original payment due entry had returned, so now there are two entries for this payment, one paid and the other waiting to be paid. Unfortunately the returned payment due also deducts that returned payment from my balance AGAIN. Wow, can't believe this.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Okay, lets call this a trend now...Another skipped reminder....4 of the last 5 manual bill reminders that I paid in the last week, skipped a month ahead after it's payment.  What was once an odd, rare and "did that just happen?" kind of thing, is now happening rather consistently.  I did have a 4th skipped bill (not documented here), at the end of August, but caught it well after the fact and did not document it as it happened.

See my prior posts on Aug 27 and Sept 1 for more examples and detail.

I'm using 2019 QW HBR R21.16 and I am following the exact same bill paying process detailed in my Aug 27 and Sept 1 threads - for that matter, a process I've always used and I believe well in line with what the product is designed to do.  Also using the same "direct connection" checking account.   The only difference with the 1 bill that I did not have an issue with was a direct debit from the same checking account - although I still used the same process to enter it into the register.

There are a few distinctions on this particular bill, which I call out. Nonetheless, the end result is a skipped bill reminder.  But, perhaps as a set of clues, it could give the product team something to go on.

File validation results in no errors.  Its starting to smell like R21.16 (or recent update) is involved, but that's just me.... :/  In particular, R20.15 update in July, where a lot of "reminder" issues were addressed.  Perhaps some unintended consequence cropped up?

Here is the latest step-by-step for today's "skipped bill reminder" issue:

STEP 1 - Check "Bills and Income Reminders" table to ensure that the reminder (highlighted) is correct before paying the bill....It is....NOTE I noticed that "show in list" shows this bills lead time is 0 days.   This should be 5 days, as it is always the case. Can't explain the change in lead time.

STEP 2 - In "Bills and Income" tab, select the bill, press "enter"...

STEP 3 - In the "Enter Expense Transaction" dialog, enter missing details (highlighted fields) and press "enter transaction"....

STEP 4 -  Check "Bills and Income Reminders" table to view status field.  Status is now "to send".  NOTE!  Change in behavior from my Sept 1 post.  On Sept 1, Step 5, that bill reminder automatically advanced to the next month, at this stage.  I believe that bill reminder was statused as "ignored" at that time.  I also noted in the table below, the "How Often" and "Show in List" fields for this bill reminder is NOW blank (ref step 1 image).

STEP 5 -  In the Bills and Income tab, pay the bill entered in step 3 by pressing "Send Now"....

STEP 6 - Check "Bill History" to ensure that the bill is statused as "paid"....it is....

STEP 7 - In "Bills and Income Reminders" table, check to see if the bill that was just paid advances to the next month, as expected.  IT DOESN'T....It SKIPS a month...I noted as well that the "How Often" and "Show in List" fields ARE NOW populated v. Step 4 image...

STEP 8 - Go back to Step 6 and check "Bill History" table.  NOTE!  Bill History table NOW SHOWS ANOTHER ENTRY with status as "Ignored".  Between Step 6 and Step 8, Quicken has inserted an additional record for this specific bill and has marked it as "Ignored".  The highlight in the image below, now show all three recent bill reminders that have this same "duel status" AND have been improperly advanced an additional month after/during their payment (skipped a month).

STEP 9 - Go back to "Bills and Income Reminders" table and edit "skipped" bill reminder to include October's skipped payment date.   After this edit (and a repeated edit), I see this bill reminder status is shown "skipped".  Why not "upcoming" at this stage?  This seems to be a change in behavior from my Aug 27 and Sept 1 posts, as those previous two bill reminders were edited in the same way and have the "Upcoming" status.  NOTE:  Edited this a third time, correcting the incorrect Lead Time to 5 days and the Status returned to "Upcoming".   0 or 5 days, why should it matter (ref. STEP 1)?

• BSniggetyBSniggety Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    > @vsmith30 said:
    > Why does Quicken now as a routine skip scheduled bill payments causing me to miss a payment (they don't show on the calendar). The payments are scheduled monthly with no end date, but Quicken will omit a payment for one month and begin again the next month. This changes different bills and different accounts on a monthly basis. I have used Quicken for years and never had this problem. It is now happening every month.

[rant removed]
  • ericweinerericweiner Member ✭✭
    I cannot believe that after all of the waiting, and all of the aggravation this issue has returned. I also cannot believe that there is no immediate response from Quicken.

Most of my saved bills jumped forward to March 2020. Did not notice this before re-adding them again only to have to delete that work.

I have wasted a lot of time dealing with an issue that should not exist in a mature piece of software.

What will be done to resolve this immediately?

BTW, I ran Quicken today as of this date 09/06/2019 and upgraded to the current version as of this date. If reports predate the released version as of 09/06/2019 then the previous release is the issue. Early August, I also updated my quicken and ran stuff. All worked. So that version is likely the one that skipped the dates forward. I run Quicken Premier for Windows.
  • Quicken 2019 V R21.17 has recently started deleting the current months scheduled bills. This happened a couple of years ago and was corrected.
  • ckjcksnckjcksn Member
    I am also having this same issue... even after updating to 2019 Version R21.17 Build 21.1.21.17. Very disappointed that this has been going on for such a long time and no resolution has been found. As someone stated earlier, it is causing me to have missed/late payments.... which I NEVER have.
  • Lou GargiuloLou Gargiulo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have been a Quicken user since the early 90's and never had an issue. I have approximately 40 scheduled Income & Bill reminders per month, over the past three years there have been problem after problem. I have an expectation that the checks will print and I place them in an envelope and send them. Forget that! This month at least 10 transactions were not entered. Items now scheduled for October 1st had a November 1st next payment date which I had to correct. I would like to know if Quicken is either prepared to fix the issue, or pay my late fees when I fail to make a payments on time? Quicken users use the program in an effort to automate the process of paying bills and tracking transactions. If we need to verify each transaction which I am now forced to do its all for naught! I need a lasting solution not lip service or a temporary fix! THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS ISSUE! I would love someone from Quicken to contact me at [email removed]
  • I'm having bill and income reminders missing in Quicken Home Business and rental property for Windows, 2019 R21.17. Very annoying! first late fee I've ever had to pay on this mortgage! it regularly hides my electric and VISA payments in the upcoming month but they are still visible in the 10 months after that (showing 12 months). it also only shows ever other mortgage payment. I already had "combine bills, income and transfers" set. The ? file check and repair didn't fix any of this.
    I don't know what to do. I used to be able to trust Quicken. Now I'm doubting it and spending extra time looking for ways to fix it like the purveyors should have done in beta.
  • Craig SmithCraig Smith Member ✭✭
    Some do and some don't. I just paid a late fee because a reminder didn't. This has happened more than once, not always on the same account. I just went thru the list and corrected several reminders that have skipped a month. Again!
    Please fix this.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they on the 31st which every month does not have?
    If so, try making them on the 1st and set them to happen 1 day before.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim BaileyJim Bailey Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem, except that my bill reminders tend to skip ahead by 3 to 4 months, not just skipping the next month. But I had one that skipped ahead by 9 months.
  • Craig SmithCraig Smith Member ✭✭
    None are on the 31st.
  • CC2-IFCC2-IF Member
    edited September 2019
    I am having the same issue with my new mortgage. The first 2 payments for June and July were in the Bill Reminders, but August and September were not. When I went to the mortgage loan details and payments, it said the next payment was due March 2020. I tried to change the next due date and it seems to update, but then when I go to the reminders, the next reminder for September is not there. Sometimes it gives reminders for October and later, but often it reverts back to March as the next payment. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I also cannot find a way to enter the mortgage payment into my register without the reminder.

I created a new mortgage account (without deleting the other one yet) to see if it would schedule correctly. The payment schedule on the loan page showed the payments for each month. But when I went to the reminders, they were only there for every other month. Now when I return to the loan page and payment schedule, the next payment is in May 2020, when it should be November 2019. But when I go back to the reminders it has reminders every other month starting in December 2019. However, after I closed Quicken and restarted it. Both the payment schedule and the reminders have the next payment in May 2020 (over 6 months away).

I have checked for updates and it says it is up-to-date. I'm using Version R21.17 Build 27.1.21.17.

(edited)
  • C JC J Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Same problem. The 'repeat period' seems to be doubled. A monthly reminder, when paid in Sept, shows up in Nov and not Oct. Been happening for a while (prior to current release). I am on Win 7 using Quicken 2019 Version R21.17 Build 27.1.21.17
  • Michael GrafMichael Graf Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Same issue. Quicken Premier - 2019 - R21.17 - 27.1.21.17. I have multiple scheduled payments setup the 22nd of the month and 7th of the month. Upon entering them in register to pay, I originally see next payment on correct day of following month. After closing and reopening and/or synchronizing, 7 of my 22nd payment reminders and one of my 7th payment reminders shift to the following month (two months away). I have Edited payment data for last two months, changing next payment date to correct month, but this does not solve the issue. In addition, I have changed the date on a couple with same result. Meaning if payment was to be paid on 22nd, I change to 23rd of each month. I thought this may retain the payment cycle (each month) but it did not.
    This is killing me! I am paying monthly bills today and already have found two bills that have skipped October and exist in the November list to pay. That is two bills that I would again have to pay late charges on if I hadn't put together a manual process to catch these Quicken errors. I am on the current release of Windows Quicken Deluxe, have followed all of the recommendations above without success, and have been a Quicken customer for over 20 years. PLEASE address this issue urgently.
    Addendum to my recent note above:
    I have subsequently found 4 additional monthly bills that "decided" to skip a month in Bills and Income reminder.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    for others....
    As you report this kind of problem - please add what version you are running -
    I'm on QWin R21.17 - and not sure if I've seen this problem as yet...
    though I have to re-enter a couple of Reminders as they appeared to have "skipped".

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    As you report this kind of problem - please add what version you are running -
    I'm on QWin R21.17 - and not sure if I've seen this problem as yet...
    though I have to re-enter a couple of Reminders as they appeared to have "skipped".
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • harris48154harris48154 Member
    edited September 2019
    I use Quicken 2019 Premier (R21.17) to pay my bills. This problem has existed for many months, ever since I upgraded from 2016 Premier.

I have scheduled bill reminders. In the register, when it passes the "Show in List" threshold, Quicken creates an entry with a Status of "Due".

When I then enter the payment amount, the status changes to "To Send".

Next, I Update the account. The "To Send" then changes to "Sent".

The problem is, as soon as it changes to "Sent", it creates a new reminder entry with status of "Due". So, both the "Sent" payment and the "Due" payment show in the register with the same Date. It's doing this for all scheduled bills.

Trying to correct this behavior, I tried deleting all scheduled bill reminders, then recreating them. That did not help. Did it again, still no help. I created an entirely new Quicken .QDF file. (days of work transferring everything from the old file.) Nothing has helped.

Someone PLEASE give me an idea how to deal with this problem.
This discussion has been closed.