Quicken 2018 Premier - setting up "included" Quicken BillPay - What you should know!!

I've been using Quicken for 25 years. From the DOS version on forward, I've also been using bill-pay integrated into Quicken, first CheckFree, then Quicken BillPay.

Last month, I signed up for Quicken 2018 Premier, which now includes Quicken BillPay, with the anticipation of saving that $9.95/month. The process requires registering for a new Quicken BillPay account, and then deactivating your old account.

There are a couple issues with this process so far:

The setup instructions indicate that two micro-deposits will be made in 2-3 days, after which time you'll confirm them on the Quicken BillPay site, and then activate your new account in Quicken.  It's been 14 days so far, and I've not received the deposits.  I've called Quicken BillPay support, and was told they are backed up.

Today, I received an email requesting ALL of all the following:
  • Copy of your most recent home
    utility bill, we will only accept water, electric or gas bills
  • Copy of your social security
    card or other proof of your SSN
  • Copy of a voided check or a
    letter from the financial institution you enrolled, showing proof of bank
    account numbers and account ownership
  • Copy of your Driver’s
    License/Identification Card or other proof of your date of birth
The options are to send all of this via fax or mail to an office in South Dakota.

I don't know how this passed any sort of internal review at Quicken. There is absolutely no way any sane person would send all this off to Quicken's 3rd part provider of billing services. This information is NOT necessary for the service provided, and is only going to end up in a future data breach, putting customers at risk.

It's time to move on.  I'll try my banks bill payment for a while (free, but not integrated into Quicken). Perhaps look at other options for tracking my finances as well. Either way, my relationship with Quicken BillPay is over.

And I'l be getting a refund on Quicken 2018 Premier subscription as well.

Comments

• Mark FertigMark Fertig Member
    edited January 2018
    I called to cancel my original Quicken BillPay account, and the customer service representative acknowledged that these new requirements were an internal policy, and not required by any governmental regulation.

The rep also noted that my account had been open since 2002 and suggested that I should trust them because of this!  What a joke! Quicken BillPay - Why don't you maintain existing relationships, and decline to put your customers at additional risk of data breaches and identity theft.
  • BobBob Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for this heads-up, Mark. I, too, have been waiting for the microdeposits (it's been over 2 weeks). If I'm asked for all that additional information, I will close my Quicken BillPay account and also ask for a refund of my Quicken 2018 Premier subscription.
  • George RaneyGeorge Raney Member
    edited January 2018
    I did all that when I signed up for Quicken 2018. The whole process took about a month and multiple worries about privacy and completion. Yes, it sucked...badly. I only missed one payment.  Q18 billpay is now fully set up and, in that month, I have transferred most of my bills over to my bank, which offers a free billpay service  I imagine that Quicken lost more than one customer to that way.
  • Mike WilsonMike Wilson Member
    edited June 2018

I started down the trek to 2018 Billpay yesterday. I added the new Billpay account and added payees (had to retype payees from previous account). According to the upgrade instructions I would hear from Quicken after two small deposits had been accepted by my bank. The instructions also said "don't delete your old Billpay account until the new one is approved.

I opened Quicken 2018 and lo and behold, Quicken Billpay was not active - old or new version. I called Quicken and they gave me a number at the new company handling Billpay. I talked to a nice woman who said that the decision to deactivate Quicken Billpay when you create a new account was made by Quicken. She said it would be a minimum of 12 days before the mini-deposits were entered and the account was approved. Nothing was said about requiring utility bill, soc-sec no., etc.

I've been a Quicken user since 1992 beginning with acquired company Check-Free. I have paid them combined $12.95 per month for 300 months - almost $4,000 to keep my bills paid and retain financial records.

If they ask me for all of that ID that others are talking about, I will stop using Quicken Billpay and use my bank's billpay system, exporting transaction info into Quicken so I can continue keeping records for budget and taxes.

• John NastasiJohn Nastasi Member
    edited January 2018
    Metavante BillPay is a total waste of time requiring copies of:
    • Copy of your most recent home
      utility bill, we will only accept a full water, electric or gas bills
    • Copy of your social security
      card or other proof of your SSN
    • Copy of a voided check or a
      letter from the financial institution you enrolled, showing proof of bank
      account numbers and account ownership
      for accounts ending in 3424, 3657
    • Copy of your Driver's
      License/Identification Card or other proof of your date of birth
    All the paper documents that could easily lead to identity theft. 

I too have been a Quicken user since I converted in 1992 and converted from CheckFree. I have provided Metavante all the information they  requested on their web site and have followed the instructions from the Quicken 2018 software. To this date I have been in a circular "form" email loop for over a month. I complain, they tell me its going to take longer because of the huge demand, I complain, they send me a form letter telling me the problem has been escalated, I wait, I complain via telephone and email communicating with persons that cannot solve problem and send me another form email that they have escalated the problem, on, and on, and on... 

The Metavante Customer Service number (877-486-8844) is totally useless, The CSR can't do anything other that to escalate your request to a unreachable escalation group that all they can do is to send out form letters. 

What a waste of time! I have never seen such an inept organization (Metavante) ever. Quicken should get their act together and before they lose their customer base for the Quicken 2018 upgrade, Quicken should get involved and tell this incompetent Metavante BillPay organization to get their act together. 

My plan is to get a refund for Quicken 2018, Use 2017 with the old version of Quicken BillPay and at the same time research alternative financial/tax software that uses an alternative bill payment platform. 

Just a note... At what point of time will we stop receiving support for Quicken 2017 and when will Quicken kill the Quicken BillPay that works with 2017???? ... 
  • BobBob Member
    edited January 2018
    I've been waiting now over three weeks for the microdeposits. Meanwhile, I find an email in my junk mail folder allegedly from [email protected], with an attachment that I'm supposed to open. Gotta be a phishing attempt, right? Well I called Quicken Bill Pay support, miraculously reached a person, and they say that it's their email and that I should open it, as it contains a request for all that personal identification data that folks have talked about. Sorry folks, I'm not taking that risk. So I phoned Quicken Premier support, and I've been on hold already for 20 minutes waiting for someone. 

So the two reasons to buy Quicken Premier--Quicken Bill Pay and "priority access to customer support"--are a sham.

Question: if I return Quicken Premier and purchase Quicken Deluxe instead, will it read the Quicken Premier data file?
  • John NastasiJohn Nastasi Member
    edited January 2018
    Bob, I was able to re-install my Quicken 2017 and read the converted 2018 data. Do a backup in a different backup location on your computer. Not the Quicken BACKUP folder.
  • BobBob Member
    edited January 2018

Bob, I was able to re-install my Quicken 2017 and read the converted 2018 data. Do a backup in a different backup location on your computer. Not the Quicken BACKUP folder.

Thanks.