Copy and paste portfolio into excel (2 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
Quicken Community Employee mod
edited February 2020 in Investments (Mac)
In Quicken 2016 for Mac, I used to be able to select the details of my portfolio holdings (the table under the investing graph), copy it and paste it into excel.  In Quicken 2018, I can no longer "select" anything in the table.  How can I export my current holdings?
2 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

5.8 Added the ability to print, export, and copy the portfolio

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    This has been answered many times. The simple is you can't do that with Quicken 2018 for Mac. We all hope this will be in a future update and hopefully soon.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Unfortunately, you can't. About the only thing you can do is take a screenshot. But that, of course, doesn't help you get the data info Excel.

They broke the ability to copy and paste when they redesigned the portfolio views in QM18. The developers are aware of it, and have promised to return the ability to export portfolio data. I can't tell you when that might happen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the prompt replies.  I too hope this gets fixed
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, should bring this back.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken_Natalie @smayer97  Wait, this feature should be marked IMPLEMENTED, shouldn't it? 

In the current Quicken Mac, in Portfolio views, there is an Export button, and it can either export as a CSV file or export to the clipboard so you can open a blank Excel or Numbers spreadhseet and just press Paste to create a spreadsheet.

Doesn't this provide the exact functionality this Idea request was looking for?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    Different mechanism but it sure would seem like it would provide same result.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    I don't see how this is a "different mechanism": it's copy and paste of a portfolio screen, exactly.

The only thing that's different is that you select "Copy to Clipboard" from the Export menu, instead of the hack of manually highlighting the data table with a mouse and selecting Copy from the Edit menu. (It's actually cleaner and faster than having to highlight the text.) 

In any case, I believe this feature should be labeled as implemented -- unless anyone who has used it can identify some way this doesn't deliver the same, desired result of pasting the screen into a spreadsheet.

(And really, copying the screen and pasting into the spreadsheet was requested only because there was no way to export to a spreadsheet. But now you can export to a CSV, so I'm not even sure the copy-to-clipboard-and-paste-into-spreadsheet needs to exist as a separate option. The resulting spreadsheet is nearly identical. So really, this request was implemented two ways!)
  • smayer97
    edited February 2020
    Are you trying to make an argument where there is none?

Then you contradict yourself....
    I don't see how this is a "different mechanism"...The only thing that's different is...
    Exactly.

And I certainly did not argue it is better or worse. Not sure what issue you are taking up.

Anyway, I have no issue with this being marked implemented, noting the export to clipboard or to CSV.

• jacobs
    Sheesh. All I was saying is I didn't see it as a "different mechanism" (your words); I thought it was the same mechanism -- copy and paste -- merely invoked from a different menu location.

I wasn't arguing; I didn't say you were arguing; I didn't say you argued it was better or worse.

As for the rest, it wasn't about you. I was merely explaining it to those who might not have known this feature existed, and asking people who have used it whether this implementation missed anything or did, in fact, complete the OP's request.

So we're on the same page, okay? Can we just let it go at that.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2020
    It just seemed like you were saying something else. (maybe it's just stuff lost in text translation...  :/  )  I guess we vehemently agree... LOL. ;)

This discussion has been closed.