How do I Sync Asset accounts between 2 Macs. Version 4.6.8

LynnLynn Member
How do I Sync Asset accounts between 2 Macs. Version 4.6.8 One of the New features in this upgrade is to be able to sync two mac computers I would like to know how. When I search the topic all I get is how to sync to a mobil ie. iPad, iPhone. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Lynn

Comments

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Lynn. Appreciate your question.

Unfortunately, Quicken cannot access the same file on different machines. 

The reason why is because if you were to edit data on one machine and you save the file on that machine, the other machine will not be able to see those changes / updates.

I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Lynn,

You could store your data file on Dropbox and access it on both computer. This would not be syncing... it would accessing the same file.

HOWEVER, this is risky and not recommended. If you access the same data file from two computers, it tends to eventually get corrupted and unusable. This is why Quicken strongly recommends against it.

So why did I bring it up? The link below gives a method to safely store your file on Dropbox and use it on two machines. The setup is somewhat involved and the care is required during its use, but at least it is safe:

FAQ: How to safely share your Quicken Mac file on Dropbox
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Lynn unfortunately neither of these responders actually read your question. The release notes for Mac 2017 4.6.8 clearly state a new ability to sync Asset accounts between 2 Macs. Therefore there should be a procedure for this and one would think that a Quicken "Official Rep' would know how to do this. Unfortunately I am unaware of what this procedure would be either. Maybe someone in the know will respond.
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Dennis. Yes, I read Lynn's question wrong. (I had not yet seen the release notes for 4.6.8.)

If true, syncing between Macs would be the first implementation of between-Mac syncing of anything in QM2015+. It would be a huge development step. I don't think it would be first released in an older version. 

Therefore, I think this is probably a mis-statement in the release notes and it probably meant to say "Sync asset accounts to Mobile". That's my guess. I'm in the process of trying to get an answer on this from the Q team.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello all.

Here's some information about the new Sync Asset tool within Quicken 2017 4.6.8:
    • The accounts of the type "Asset" can now be synced to the Quicken Cloud, however those accounts cannot be displayed on the mobile app.
    • This is only observable by customers who are syncing 2 different Macs with the same Quicken Cloud data set.
    Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Thanks Dennis. Yes, I read Lynn's question wrong. (I had not yet seen the release notes for 4.6.8.)

If true, syncing between Macs would be the first implementation of between-Mac syncing of anything in QM2015+. It would be a huge development step. I don't think it would be first released in an older version. 

Therefore, I think this is probably a mis-statement in the release notes and it probably meant to say "Sync asset accounts to Mobile". That's my guess. I'm in the process of trying to get an answer on this from the Q team.

UPDATE: I reverted to 4.6.7 and verified that Asset accounts are not available to sync to Mobile. Then I updated again to 4.6.8 and verified that Asset accounts now are available to sync to Mobile.

So... I am completely convinced now that the change is to allow Asset accounts to sync to Mobile and that the line in the release notes about syncing between 2 Macs was a mis-statement. It should have said "NEW - Sync asset accounts to Mobile".
    edited January 2018
    Lynn, I can now answer your question about how to sync between two computers. This whole concept is a new one on me, but it does work based on some testing I did.

Essentially, you are syncing the account data to Mobile from one computer, then syncing the 2nd computer to Mobile too. Therefore all three (computer 1, computer 2 and mobile) are kept in sync. But, in fact, you don't need to actually be using the Mobile app at all.

Here's how. Make sure Quicken is logged into the same Quicken ID on both computers. Then make sure both data files have the same Cloud Account Nickname in Preferences > Connected Services. In Preferences > Mobile & Alerts, turn on the Sync master switch. In the Account pane there, select the accounts you want to sync. Repeat on the 2nd computer. 

In the limited testing I did, transactions synced between not only Asset accounts, but also Checking accounts. Investment accounts themselves synced (their names), but not the transactions within them. 

There's really not much documentation on this, so I would use with a grain of salt. If both files are open on both computers at the same time, there might be some unexpected results.
  • LynnLynn Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this question.
     I believe Ricko has explained it best. Not sure how useful this feature will be in the future I guess time will tell.
    edited January 2018
    Lynn said:

Thanks to everyone who replied to this question.
     I believe Ricko has explained it best. Not sure how useful this feature will be in the future I guess time will tell.

Given all the problems that have existed with Mobile Sync in the past, I'd use extreme caution before relying on this to sync accounts between computers.

Also, users should be aware that if they are maintaining the same file on two computers using Dropbox (or any other file sharing service) using the method I linked to above or any other method... then... if you have Mobile Sync enabled in the file, that is going to try to sync some accounts between files and results could be problematic.
  • LynnLynn Member
    edited January 2018
    It sounds like the best way to use the same file on two computers is a flash drive, I agree with Ricko using Dropbox or similar apps should be done with caution.
    edited January 2018
    Lynn said:

It sounds like the best way to use the same file on two computers is a flash drive, I agree with Ricko using Dropbox or similar apps should be done with caution.

One benefit of the flash drive is that it pretty much guarantees that you won't have the file open on both computers at the same time. Still, I would make sure you have frequent plentiful backups and are using a high quality flash drive.

If your file is big, you may also find that performance suffers with a flash drive.

Also, you should make sure that the user account under which you are logging in on both computers is identical (long name and short name). Otherwise, there is a small chance of permissions errors creeping in which can make the file unusable. Again....backup.