New to Quicken Mac Deluxe 2018, Vanguard acct Market Value is wrong

I have a Vanguard account. One security, no cash balance. In Quicken, it is connected and it downloaded some stuff, but the Market Value is wrong -- like almost 3x too high. I reconciled it to the last statement (dec 31, 2017) which balanced fine, but the Market Value is still showing the wrong number. I'm not even sure where to look to fix this.l

Thanks.

Comments

• DesertOasisDesertOasis Member
    edited January 2018
    Incorrect number of shares of the mutual fund...or incorrect price per share associated with the fund.

It is also possible you have the incorrect Ticker Symbol and are using Admiral Share prices and tickers instead of regular share prices and tickers.
  • Seth300Seth300 Member
    edited January 2018

Incorrect number of shares of the mutual fund...or incorrect price per share associated with the fund.

It is also possible you have the incorrect Ticker Symbol and are using Admiral Share prices and tickers instead of regular share prices and tickers.

Well, since I didn't enter any of that information -- Quicken just downloaded it straight from Vanguard, that would seem odd (to me at least). Mint doesn't have any trouble having the correct information.
  • Seth300Seth300 Member
    edited January 2018
    Well, I found where the "extra" money is -- it is showing up as "cash". But there is no cash in the account. On the Portfolio page, the account itself has the correct value and then beneath that, there is a "cash" line with all this other money in it. But I don't know how that got there, how I can edit it, or anything. There's no way to click on it and open up whatever that is.
  • TrixieMTrixieM Member
    edited January 2018
    Seth said:

Well, I found where the "extra" money is -- it is showing up as "cash". But there is no cash in the account. On the Portfolio page, the account itself has the correct value and then beneath that, there is a "cash" line with all this other money in it. But I don't know how that got there, how I can edit it, or anything. There's no way to click on it and open up whatever that is.

Go to the investment register and see if you have any placeholders in the register.
  • Seth300Seth300 Member
    edited January 2018
    Seth said:

Well, there are transactions in the register. What do you mean by "placeholder"? What would that look like? All the transactions in there were where I sold shares and transferred the cash to my bank account, except for the two adjustments that were entered when I reconciled the account to the latest statement. But the difference  between those two adjustments is not the same as the "Cash" amount showing in the Portfolio view.
  • TrixieMTrixieM Member
    edited January 2018
    Seth said:

In Quicken Mac, placeholders will be marked with a gray background and usually are at the beginning of the register.

To resolve the placeholders, you'll need to enter valid cash amounts and create purchases of the security to get you to zero.  
  • Seth300Seth300 Member
    edited January 2018
    Seth said:

Got it thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any placeholders. All the transactions are sales that were transferred.
This discussion has been closed.