Refinement in viewing the list of Financial Instiutions in the Text File of "fidir.txt"

Jerry_
Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
It would be a "Icing on the Cake" if in the Quicken Program's Help Menu, to have an entry that when chosen, would convert the "fidir.txt" file to a readable format and show in a dialog window in the Program. Therefore, one could view it without having to mess with selecting individual accounts to update in order to see possible FI's available for selection.

I am particularly thinking about, at least, the Window Versions of Quicken. 

Doable?
Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
Retired - former Computer System Analyst
1 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

This request is already available at https://www.quicken.com/support/fi-list-support-quicken-versions

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)
    Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Jerry: Can you elaborate on your idea a bit; i.e. explain the what and why of your idea a bit better. I am quite familiar with the FIDIR.TXT, but I don't understand your suggestion.
  • Jerry_
    Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Artic Hare,
    As more novice users are obtaining Quicken, I want to provide for them a Graphical User Interface Front End to viewing the FIDIR.TXT file. Also to  provide a quick easy way to view the financial institutions recognized by Quicken while in Quicken. One should not have to go through creating an account setup to view the choices of FI's available. That routine does utilized a great GUI, however. Also one should not have to use Excel or other outside programs to view the File. Such a method seems archaic to me. I cannot particularly imagine single-parent women (as an example) trying to utilized exterior programs in accessing the File.

Now to do this:

Add an Entry to the Help Menu; something like Help>Financial Institutions.

When selected, open a window/screen with a Search Box at the top.
    The Window would initially show the top entries in the File with the information of:
    1.  The name of the financial institution on the left side.
    2.  The means of connecting on the right side - (Direct, Express, Web Express, etc.).

Information provided by user in the Search Box (which should be blank when the Window/Screen is first entered):
    1. Maybe enter the word "top" to show the institutions listed first in the File.
    2. Maybe enter the word "bottom" to show the last entries in the File. 
    3. As the user keys characters in the Search Box, have the Routine narrow the entries in the Window/Screen to reflect the user's choices.

When the user is satisfied with the results:
    If the user clicks or right-clicks on a Financial Institutions entry, have a Bubble Window appear (yellow background (LOL)) showing the telephone number and Web Site address.
    Then, even better, if the user clicks on the Web Site address, actually go to that Web Site.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Other financial software providers are starting or have the ability for the user to reference FI's within their software.

Watch! If implemented, Quicken will probably always open the Window/Screen FULL SCREEN. (LOL)
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)
    Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Other than your obscure reference to single parent women (really?), I concur with the improvement opportunity. There is a a functionality gap here. I am a bit weary of telling other users how to search for and read the FIDIR.TXT. I’m afraid an otherwise good suggestion is going to be overlooked by your obscure example.
  • Jerry_
    Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Other than your obscure reference to single parent women (really?), I concur with the improvement opportunity. There is a a functionality gap here. I am a bit weary of telling other users how to search for and read the FIDIR.TXT. I’m afraid an otherwise good suggestion is going to be overlooked by your obscure example.

In commenting on single-parent women, I was actually thinking of a neighbor of mine who has lost her husband and 3 children in a fire. She is now a single-parent woman caring for two little ones

She has come to me for help in understanding the World of Computers. I am helping her connect smart devices and recommending software (including financial programs like Quicken). She knows nothing about computers. Maybe I should have clarified that in my last post.

By the way, she is hesitant in trying  Quicken due to all the problems that she has seen reported via my computer. The first question she had in viewing my Quicken was "Where do you see the financial institutions supported by Quicken". What could I say - use Excel to view a text file hidden in the Quicken Directories? I mentioned that and she replied "What is Excel"? 

So if you think that all this is an obscure example, so let be it recorded in the annuals of time..
This discussion has been closed.