Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Adjust a Share Balance -- Quicken 2018 for the Mac

Richard Kennedy
Richard Kennedy Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken 2018 Deluxe for the Mac lacks the ability to adjust an investment account register's share balance. This function exists in the Windows version (see  https://www.quicken.com/support/adjust-share-balance). 

This is needed to fix the following situation. An investment account started in 1993 was imported from Quicken 2007 for the Mac to Quicken 2018 Deluxe for the Mac. The importation introduced hundreds of errors to the register. However, I can't get all of the transaction information from that many years ago. I need the ability to set the share balance on a given date so at least I can get the past few years of register data correct.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Share balance in QM2007 is set via Buy, Sell or Move Shares. Same is true of QM2018. Not sure what else you are looking for.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    You should be able to get a holdings report from your Investment Institution. That way you can correct any errors in shares held and cost basis. Make sure you get the lots details from you brokerage house if possible. If it is just a cash imbalance, you can add an Adjust Balance entry when you reconcile or adjust the opening balance to offset the difference.
  • Richard Kennedy
    edited August 2018

Share balance in QM2007 is set via Buy, Sell or Move Shares. Same is true of QM2018. Not sure what else you are looking for.

I'm looking for the following Windows functionality to be implemented on the Mac:

"To adjust the number of shares:
    1. With the Investment Account register open, from the Quicken Investingmenu, choose Investing Activities.
    2. Click Update my share balance.
    3. Select the security, and then enter the date and the final number of shares into their corresponding fields.
    4. Click OK. "
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    If you don't want to correct or enter details for many past years, pick a date and delete all transactions before that date. Then enter an Add Shares transaction with the proper number of shares on that date, and the cost basis if you know it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Richard Kennedy
    edited October 2018

From 1993 from a firm no longer in existence? I don't think so. I
    also don't want to re-enter and correct several thousand transactions. I just
    want the same ability to adjust share balances on a certain date that currently
    exists in the Windows version.

• RickO
    edited January 2018

You can also just enter an Add or Remove Shares transactions on whatever date to adjust the share balance to be correct. Helpful in doing this is to turn on the Shares and Share Balance columns, sort the register by Date, and enter the name of the security in the search box so you are only looking at the one security at a time.
  • Richard Kennedy
    edited January 2018

My brokerage firm track the share balance to six decimal places. Quicken doesn't display this many decimal places. How am I to know how many shares to add or remove?

Why does Quicken force Mac users to use work-arounds when Windows users have the needed functionality?
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

I would submit that the 4th thru 6th decimal digits don't really matter. You will never know if the end total is off by .0005 shares. But even with a $200 share price, that amounts to only $0.10. So I would just call it close enough.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

The Shares and the Share Balance columns in QMac display share holdings to 6 decimals.

As was suggested by RickO earlier, add these columns to your Transactions register - see for yourself.

You can then enter Add/Remove Shares transaction(s) at any given date to adjust the share balance figures.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    edited January 2018

Hey JM... thanks for reminding me of that (6 decimal places). I looked at my file and saw only three, but that's because my brokerages only transmit three. I had forgotten it will hold six if it is entered that way. Good catch.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

RickO - I have a retirement account that reports holdings and unit prices to 6 decimals. QMac will match the account value to the penney.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

The Update Share Balance in QWin just enters an Add Shares transaction.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

I just went from Win to Mac and I need this too.  If you update the way you are suggesting, cash goes wacky.  My investment accounts don't match and I need this feature as I had it in Windows.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

All the Windows version does is add an Add Shares or Remove Shares transaction. It does do the math for you, but you can easily do that yourself. If the correct share balance is more than Quicken shows, enter an Add Shares transaction using the difference between those values. If the correct share balance is less, use a Remove Shares transaction. Neither of these transaction types will affect the cash balance in the account.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

@JM, I have an  annuity account; looking at the transactions, for some reason ( gonna call the folks as I am monitoring this account QM differently then in the past) I note transfer activity moving X dollars out of some funds & moving that same X dollars into the funds..I am assuming the only way to handle this in Qm is treat the XFER out as a sell & the XFR in as a buy. Is this correct or is there another approach . Note that this activity is going on in the same account among several securities. i recall that doing XFERs was straight forward in QW but we are not using QW  so i am asking the question.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Concordman that is exactly what I do with my Annuity. The Sells give you the cash to make the Buys. This is usually done once or twice a year to keep your Annuity balanced. Meaning A is 30%, B is 40%, C is 20% and D is 10% for your different holdings.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

That’s what I was thinking just wanted to make sure there is not some magic button I know nothing about
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

Entered the transactions, market values are correct to the penny but I note the G/L is off a bit..While entering the transactions I could not help noticing that QM would round off the unit  quantities. I am deducing this is what is causing the G/L difference from what The institution shows vs QM