Quicken Research: Tell us about your check writing habits!

Quicken Kathryn
Quicken Kathryn Administrator admin
Our development team is doing research on how Quicken members write checks.  If you have a moment, please fill out this brief survey so we can continue to improve our product offerings.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N5TNKLW

Thanks!
Quicken Kathryn
Community Administrator

Comments

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Nice question, one question was a single answer allowed, but I use a combination of 2 methods -- I hand write checks and deliver or possibly mail and also use my bank's web site which sends eChecks or paper checks -- this does not cost anything from my bank!
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I couldn't really tell if "write checks" referred to paper checks issued or if they really meant "payments" recorded in Quicken irrespective of how that payment got processed.  So I got confused and gave up.
  • Clayton200
    Clayton200 Member
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

I couldn't really tell if "write checks" referred to paper checks issued or if they really meant "payments" recorded in Quicken irrespective of how that payment got processed.  So I got confused and gave up.

I'm sorry, but that's kind of a lame idea about the eCheck and it's fees. Asking how much I'm willing to pay for a service I'm doing for FREE via OSU!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm kind of flabbergasted that this is something Quicken is thinking about?  Really???

So I guess I should really only think of Quicken as a desktop computer check book?  All the other stuff is sort of kind of working gimmicky crap that's never updated.

You have all our financial data.  Why not improve the tax planner?  Why not improve the Lifetime planner?  What about support for HSA accounts?  And if you think those are good enough, did you ever look at what else is out there on the internet for free?  Your tools are dated.

Other FinTechs would kill to have all this financial info you have and this is your next idea?

I'm sure this post will get removed as a rant but this needs to be said over and over again.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I'm kind of flabbergasted that this is something Quicken is thinking about?  Really???

So I guess I should really only think of Quicken as a desktop computer check book?  All the other stuff is sort of kind of working gimmicky crap that's never updated.

You have all our financial data.  Why not improve the tax planner?  Why not improve the Lifetime planner?  What about support for HSA accounts?  And if you think those are good enough, did you ever look at what else is out there on the internet for free?  Your tools are dated.

Other FinTechs would kill to have all this financial info you have and this is your next idea?

I'm sure this post will get removed as a rant but this needs to be said over and over again.

Well Quicken doesn't really have "all our financial data", certainly not in the sense of financial institutions that actually have the accounts on their books.  I'm sure Schwab has a better understanding of my net worth than anybody at Quicken does.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I use it to track my net worth. I don’t know why you wouldn’t. There’s no way any of my financial institutions has any idea of what I have at other institutions. Isn’t that one of the reasons we use quicken so we don’t have all our data aggregated by some business in the cloud? Isn’t that why we download quotes and transactions so we can track everything in a database on our hard drive?

So it boggles my mind that Quicken doesn’t work on leveraging that. Instead they seem to be focused on the idea of quicken as an electronic check book.
  • jl747
    jl747 SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My finacial institutions will send electronically or mail checks for free.
    Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

The word "write" was poorly used in the survey. By the time I reached the survey's end I concluded survey designer meant "write out paper checks."  Of course most of us using computers and Quicken no longer use many, if ANY paper checks, so the more valuable way the survey could have been designed would have been to entitle it "payments and checks from checking accounts" Several of the questions should have been regarding           
     a: paper checks: How many monthly; how delivered (hand or mail);
    b: other payments from checking b1 debit card at point of sale;  b2 debit pmt on web;  b3 bill pay from checking through bank or credit union web site;  b4 auto pay authorized on biller's site;
    c: Fee level if any charged by bank or credit union for access or per-check, to use an on line bill pay service;
    d: Dollar Amount survey respondent would be willing to pay Quicken to have quicken issue instant electronic payments from Checking? (was revealed as purpose near end of Survey.) ( I said $ 1 / pmt with no minimimum monthly access fee, and no charge if none used, and no maximum # issued monthly. This is based on the fact that I get free bill pay from credit unions, and from several banks.
    Comment: by the way it has become clear to me Quicken tries to get banks and credit unions to pay Quicken to link depositors through Quicken to the financial institution.
    I would like to find out what these fees are, but suspect learning that would be a long project.
    Apparently Wells and M&TB and possibly B of A also try to collect from their depositors for bank access to account information through Quicken, but I won't be paying such fees as there are a number of free options.
    Simple answer,"Follow the Money :)" Regards
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Agree with you, @chicagodan. Not the direction I was hoping Quicken would be going.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I'm amazed!  Simply amazed!   With all of the outright BUGS in Quicken they should be focused on FIXING those instead of adding new features nobody needs or wants.  I'm still running the 2015 version because I'm scared to death to install the BROKEN 2018 version sitting on my desk.

FIX THE BUGS IN QUICKEN!   THAT'S ALL I WANT FOR NOW!

heh, I'm in the same boat. 2018 has been sitting in a box on my desk for 2 months now. its 3 months before 2015 goes EOL, and I'm still too paranoid to install it. 

Quicken: fixing the bugs should be JOB 1!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I disagree that written cheques are no longer used...my wife and I write about 100 per year. And we do 99% of our finances electronically.

That said, I agree that this is not a direction that would meet my needs...at least 80% are hand delivered for various services...contractors, doctors that do not do any electronic, other personal services, etc.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile

Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I'm amazed!  Simply amazed!   With all of the outright BUGS in Quicken they should be focused on FIXING those instead of adding new features nobody needs or wants.  I'm still running the 2015 version because I'm scared to death to install the BROKEN 2018 version sitting on my desk.

Some of us could have helped Quicken to beta test Q2018 prior to general release.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018

You can sign up here:
    https://quickenbeta.centercode.com/login.html

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I for one would prefer if Quicken would fix the numerous flaws that currently exist in their software before adding new "features"

Literally hundreds of people are having difficulty downloading transactions as transaction downloads one step update are failing to work properly.  
  • aquickuser
    aquickuser Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I totally agree about fixing the bugs first!
  • Jerry_
    Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I, too, was surprised with Quicken.Inc offering this Survey about Checks. I only write one check per month and actually hand it to the person - (housekeeping work). Otherwise, I do transactions electronically (Websites) or via Debit/Credit cards.

I am with Russell. Fix all the bugs that are currently in all Flavors of Quicken before starting any new projects.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • Jerry_
    Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    By the way, since this Thread is denoted as "Article", I am surprised that Kathryn is allowing posts on this Thread. She usually doesn't. Maybe she actually does want feedback from us. (grin)

Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is another "squirrel" that Quicken is going to chase INSTEAD of focusing on the many remaining usability bugs that exist in the program and FIXING THEM.

I would not trust Quicken to be able to provide a secure method of doing this.  In the past we tried several of these "services" and had our information hacked on two of them. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Why is Quicken focusing on adding features that can be obtained elsewhere?

Credit Score...Zillow...Morningstar...Quicken Bill Pay...and now they are worried about a check writing module?

All this stuff I can do or find the answers (easily) elsewhere. 

What I want Quicken to actually do is focus on:

1 Creating concise accurate customizable reports (Windows AND Mac versions).

2 Figure out my tax liability for the tax year due April 15 of the current year AND the next year...without jumping through hoops or losing my data when January 1 rolls around. 

3 Give me some semblance of a retirement planner that will actually give me true calculations using the investments and assets that I have....not some off the wall calculations that make zero sense.

4 Create an actual reliable mobile app that includes my investment accounts and BUDGET.  Mint can do this.  Why is that the mobile app is always such a disaster?

I would have ZERO interest in using any check writing/check paying module in Quicken.  I send all my checks via my bank's website or phone app.  All at no charge. 

Stop adding garbage no one wants.  Focus on what you have and getting those features to actually work
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Please Quicken...just stop.  Stop.  Focus.  Your core product is not working so well.  Please ignore the bright shiny objects and just spend those efforts fixing the bugs in all the other bright shiny objects you chased over the years.  Big things like mobile.  And little things like drop-downs that go off the screen.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    jl747 said:

My finacial institutions will send electronically or mail checks for free.

Exactly, I don't bother with Quicken's BillPay since I get it free from my bank. In addition, I don't even use that so much as ACH Debit from my credit card companies is even easier.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Feedback to the Quicken team on the way this survey was posted and constructed...

the post on this site says: "Our development team is doing research on how Quicken members write checks." Okay, I decided I was happy to participate -- except that when you start the survey, the first question is "What version of Quicken Windows are you currently using?" Huh? I'm sure it was an unintentional slight, but nonetheless, it's just another place where Quicken refers to its Windows users as "Quicken users" and separately refers to "Quicken Mac users". As a lifelong Quicken Mac user, it's annoying. The post should have said: "Our development team is doing research on how Quicken Windows users write checks." It would have been a simple fix to avoid ticking off your Mac users.

(And that said, why wouldn't you want to gather info on how Quicken Mac users write checks at the same time? Especially if feature parity in the future is the company mantra?)

Although I didn't complete the survey, I saw question 3 at the bottom of the first screen about "how often do you write checks" and immediately felt the survey was flawed. Market research surveys must be clear and unambiguous, and this was an ambiguous question. By "write check," does this mean hand-write checks, enter and print checks through Quicken, generate checks via bill pay? The subsequent questions on the second page dive into these differences, but the first question should have been clearer to get accurate data: "How often do you write checks (via any means, including hand-written checks, checks you print with Quicken, or checks you generate with an online bill-payment service)?"

Adding to the problem, if you get to screen 2 and see the follow-up questions that parse the different ways you might write checks, and realize you misinterpreted question 3, there is no way to navigate back to the first screen to change your answer.

And then question 4 asks "How often do you write checks using Quicken?" Does this mean "enter a payment AND print the check in Quicken" or "enter a payment by check in Quicken"? It's again not clear. My inclination would be to say "I never write checks in Quicken" because I write checks by hand and then enter the data in Quicken -- but it's not clear if this qualifies as "writing a check in Quicken"?

For the future, please try to have someone who is skilled in writing solid, unambiguous, valid questions write future surveys, and make sure they're tested on enough people to detect and fix any lack of clarity before you field the surveys. Otherwise, you're working with flawed and potentially misleading data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    jacobs said:

Feedback to the Quicken team on the way this survey was posted and constructed...

the post on this site says: "Our development team is doing research on how Quicken members write checks." Okay, I decided I was happy to participate -- except that when you start the survey, the first question is "What version of Quicken Windows are you currently using?" Huh? I'm sure it was an unintentional slight, but nonetheless, it's just another place where Quicken refers to its Windows users as "Quicken users" and separately refers to "Quicken Mac users". As a lifelong Quicken Mac user, it's annoying. The post should have said: "Our development team is doing research on how Quicken Windows users write checks." It would have been a simple fix to avoid ticking off your Mac users.

(And that said, why wouldn't you want to gather info on how Quicken Mac users write checks at the same time? Especially if feature parity in the future is the company mantra?)

Although I didn't complete the survey, I saw question 3 at the bottom of the first screen about "how often do you write checks" and immediately felt the survey was flawed. Market research surveys must be clear and unambiguous, and this was an ambiguous question. By "write check," does this mean hand-write checks, enter and print checks through Quicken, generate checks via bill pay? The subsequent questions on the second page dive into these differences, but the first question should have been clearer to get accurate data: "How often do you write checks (via any means, including hand-written checks, checks you print with Quicken, or checks you generate with an online bill-payment service)?"

Adding to the problem, if you get to screen 2 and see the follow-up questions that parse the different ways you might write checks, and realize you misinterpreted question 3, there is no way to navigate back to the first screen to change your answer.

And then question 4 asks "How often do you write checks using Quicken?" Does this mean "enter a payment AND print the check in Quicken" or "enter a payment by check in Quicken"? It's again not clear. My inclination would be to say "I never write checks in Quicken" because I write checks by hand and then enter the data in Quicken -- but it's not clear if this qualifies as "writing a check in Quicken"?

For the future, please try to have someone who is skilled in writing solid, unambiguous, valid questions write future surveys, and make sure they're tested on enough people to detect and fix any lack of clarity before you field the surveys. Otherwise, you're working with flawed and potentially misleading data.

EVERYTHING about Quicken has been WINDOWS centric for YEARS...ALL their website articles, Knowledgebase, etc. etc. etc...

Some effort is made once in a while to change that but STILL PERVASIVE...I think it is just runs deep in the corporate DNA....

And yes, that part is ANNOYING to say the least...

That said, their sales pages are the first time I have seen some good effort to present parity...certainly a step in the right direction.

• smayer97
    edited February 2018
    jacobs said:

And yes, the survey is very flawed...much like the other recent ones too...

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    jacobs said:

Well, in the old days, Quicken Windows sales completely overshadowed Mac sales. I'm sure Windows still beats Mac sales, but I'd guess it's not nearly as lopsided as in the past. In any case, I figure it's worth pointing out places where they forget that "Quicken users" ≠ Quicken Mac users.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

I use wallet checks (3 on a page) and write them on quicken 2007, now upgrading and hope that it remains the same
  • Joshua Katt
    Joshua Katt Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Everyone should take this survey and express in the comments near the end alone the lines of, "fix your existing products first"  I did.  I also suggested they buy the last version of MS-Money, slap a quicken logo on it, get the downloads going again, AND NOT CHANGE A THING.  I would gladly pay $100 per year for that privilege.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Well, I used to "write" my checks using Quicken billpay, but recently I upgraded to Quicken 2018 (for the free billpay, natch), so now I have to pay my bills manually via my bank's website...
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    J. G. said:

Well, I used to "write" my checks using Quicken billpay, but recently I upgraded to Quicken 2018 (for the free billpay, natch), so now I have to pay my bills manually via my bank's website...

If you get the Premier edition, you get Quicken Bill Pay for free for 15 transaction per monthly cycle.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Mojo.Hand
    Mojo.Hand Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I pay most bills through my bank, for free, but I would like to be able to format the paper checks I print and mail, to fit the layout of the custom laser checks that I do have.
This discussion has been closed.