Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken MAC18 transfer securities from one investment account to another

Concordman
Concordman Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Presently contemplating moving certain securities from an investment account , not all securities will be moved. I am assuming QM will not support this action. If there is a way , a work around , would love to hear about it.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Just put in a Remove Shares transaction in the old account with the share amount the total of shares in the account. Then put in an Add Shares transaction in the new account for that many shares. If you want to carry the cost basis over to the new account, calculate it in the old account and fill it in in the Add Shares transaction.

The above is going to give you an average cost basis on a single date for the shares in the new account. If you need the full detail of purchases/costs by date, then you would need to enter Add Shares corresponding to each Buy in the old account. Could be a lot of work, but I don't know any way to automate it.

I think we've discussed before that you rely on the brokerage's site for cost basis and gain calculations. If so, then a single Add Shares transaction with the average cost basis should be fine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Just put in a Remove Shares transaction in the old account with the share amount the total of shares in the account. Then put in an Add Shares transaction in the new account for that many shares. If you want to carry the cost basis over to the new account, calculate it in the old account and fill it in in the Add Shares transaction.

The above is going to give you an average cost basis on a single date for the shares in the new account. If you need the full detail of purchases/costs by date, then you would need to enter Add Shares corresponding to each Buy in the old account. Could be a lot of work, but I don't know any way to automate it.

I think we've discussed before that you rely on the brokerage's site for cost basis and gain calculations. If so, then a single Add Shares transaction with the average cost basis should be fine.

THX Rick, I do use the cost basis & gain in QM which I check against the brokerage . Seems to correlate well. Too bad QM does not allow dragging security transactions between investment accounts. If it did this thing would be a hole lot easier.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Meanwhile, You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Transfer Shares between Investment Accounts.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)