new transactions won't download for BMO credit card

For the last two days, when I try to download new transactions for my BMO credit card, no transactions download but there are at least 15 there to download. I tired to deactivate and then activate the account but when I try to activate it, it wants me to create a new account.

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Wayne: I'm guessing that the card in question is a MasterCard? There are some issues with BMO and BMO Mastercard.

Can you please check the following... Open the Edit Account dialogue box (by right clicking on the account and selecting Edit Details). On the main tab, what does it say for Financial Institution? Does it say BMO Bank of Montreal or BMO Mosaik Mastercard? Is there any reference to Mosaik?
  • Wayne CookWayne Cook Member
    edited December 2018
    BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C. This worked until 2 days ago.
    edited February 2018

That is the problem. Deactivate the account. Manually delete the financial institution name and the card number out of the main tab of the Account Details box. Re-set up the connection, but make certain to choose BMO Bank of Montreal; Do NOT choose Mosaik.

Please report back as to whether this works for you. I previously reported the Mosaik issue to Quicken and it is with the PD team. Another data point (user issue) would help put more attention on this issue.

I expect it will work fine for you once you manage to eliminate all the Mosaik references. It does work fine for me. I believe that BMO abandoned the Mosaik brand quite some time ago and Q never reflected the change into the program and the FIDIR.TXT file.
    edited February 2018

OK but why has it worked for years and just stopped two days ago? I will give it a try.
    edited February 2018

@Wayne: The end-to-end process and system for Express Web Connect is complex. It involves the Q program, a control file called FIDIR.TXT, parameters in your data file, and a profile on Intuit's aggregation servers (yes, this service is still provided by Intuit on an outsource basis). Why did it work until two days ago? I don't know what changed two days ago - I don't have visibility of most of the system. There are a lot of pieces that make up that connection. I can tell you that others, including me, experienced this issue a few weeks ago. From what I've been able to put together, it would continue to work until something got stuck... and then when you try to deactivate and re-activate it won't re-activate on the Mosaik site. But, if you remove all the Mosaik references and realign to BMO proper, it works fine for the rest of us.

I have brought this issue to the attention of the moderators and they have brought the issue to the attention of Q's PD team. I have asserted that the Mosaik entity should be removed from Q. I haven't received an update, so I don't know where that is at. 

The good news is, I believe, if you realign to BMO Bank of Montreal, having cleansed all references to Mosaik, it should work fine.

If the simple fix doesn't work for you, I can provide a more involved one that performs a deeper purge of the EWC connections. Try the simple fix first.

Humour me - just try Googling "BMO Mosaik Mastercard". The (complete lack of) results speak volumes about this issue!
    edited February 2018

It connected to the bank, found my card and came up with add account drop down. I tried to change it to link to existing account but BMO wasn't there so I clicked ignore. Now I can't get the link to account option to come up.
    edited February 2018

Try this...

To start, as a diagnostic test, create a new Quicken file and try to set up your Express Web Connect downloads in the newly created file. If you can successfully download via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts), then deactivate the online connections in the test file and go back to your old/original file and complete the following procedure, being careful to follow it exactly and not skip any steps. If you were able to download into the new file, executing the following procedure will likely resolve your downloading issues. 

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active Express Web Connect (EWC) connections, including Hidden accounts, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate". Before closing each Account Details dialogue box, delete the financial institution name and account number from the General tab. Note: you do not have to deactivate Direct Connect or Web Connect connections; leave those activated.
    5. Once you are done deactivating all EWC connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button or the "UPDATE ACCOUNTS" button (it is labelled differently between versions). [Note: some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. If this applies to you, contact Quicken tech support for a method to deactivate the EWC connected mortgage]
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c" or anything starting with "TEMP", which don't appear in your account list or category list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the LINK account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    19. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running
    20. You may have duplicate transactions, which you can accept into the register (if not accepting automatically) and delete
    edited February 2018

When I get to step 18, link account, my existing BMO account is not listed in the drop down. It wants me to create a new account.
    edited February 2018

I have 10 years of transactions in the original account so I may just create the new account and be done with it. Until the next time.
    edited February 2018

That's odd. For some reason Q still thinks that account is associated with Mosaik, so it isn't allowing you to map it to BMO Bank of Montreal.

What happened when you set up the BMO Mastercard in the test file? Did it download transactions OK (or did you skip the diagnostic test)?

Did you ensure that you deleted the FI name and the account number in Step #4? Failure to delete the reference to Mosaik here could cause the problem you are describing. If you going into the Edit Account Details now, does it contain a reference to Mosaik?

Is your BMO account in Q correctly set up as a Credit Card account? It is not a savings or chequing account by chance?

I should have asked this earlier, but... exactly what version and release of Quicken are you using?

If everything works OK in the test file and you deleted the information in Step #4, your BMO account in Q is a credit card account, then there are only a couple options remaining:
    1. I could contact a moderator and request that they arrange to have a senior support rep from Q assist you. They could do a screen share, whereas I can't. It is difficult to determine, driving blind, why you can't see the proper Q account in the EWC setup (LINK, ADD, IGNORE) dialogue box
    2. You could choose ADD and then, subsequently, MOVE all your transactions from the old Q account to the one you just created with the MOVE command.
    edited February 2018

Set up the test file. Had to do the verify twice but was then clean. Still same problem. I did delete the bank name and number in #4. It is definitely set up as a credit card account. Version is Starter R3.12 build 27.1.3.12. I always had Cash Manager, then went to the new subscription service.
  • MarcMarc Member
    edited February 2018
    Unlinked all my bills, will pay through my Bank of America bill pay. Hate what Quicken did with bill pay. 
  • Joe BedfordJoe Bedford Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Looks like I have the identical problem with BMO credit card transactions.

My wife is on the phone with BMO right now to try to find out if it's a problem on their end.

I gave up on premium phone support after 20 minutes. Have been waiting for a chat agent for over and hour now.
    edited December 2018
    BMO reports that there have been "several" complaints about this problem. They initially thought it was the Quicken end but now they're not sure.

Sigh...
  • Eric ZurfluhEric Zurfluh Member
    edited February 2018
    Experiencing the same issue. Regardless of file format, new transactions are not downloading. Even when selecting CSV format, the Excel file is empty, despite there being several new transactions online
  • Jerry BJerry B Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm having the same problem with my credit union.  Worked great until 2 days ago, and now I only receive an error on the quicken server message.
    edited February 2018
    Jerry B said:

I'm having the same problem with my credit union.  Worked great until 2 days ago, and now I only receive an error on the quicken server message.

@Jerry: This thread is specifically about downloading transactions for MasterCard from BMO Bank of Montreal using the Canadian version of Quicken. If this is not your exact situation, please start a different thread.
    edited December 2018
    For those of you experiencing issues with downloading transactions for a BMO MasterCard, please check the following... Please right click on the name of the respective Quicken register and check which financial institution is indicated under "Financial" on the "General" tab. Is it BMO Bank of Montreal or BMO Mosaik MasterCard? It must say BMO Bank of Montreal NOT BMO Mosaik MasterCard to use Express Web Connect and One Step Update to download transactions from your BMO MasterCard.
    edited February 2018
    I'm not really sure of the sequence of clicks you describe but if I go to Account List, it indicates the account is BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C. If I try to edit that, the format of the window is all screwed up and the text runs off the screen - I don't know what it says in Edit.

It has been set this way since forever (many years).

Are you suggesting I should change this long standing setting and that will fix the problem? I suppose that's easy enough to try.

BTW, because of problems long long ago with One Step Update, we push our downloads from the Bank of Montreal website into Quicken, rather than pull them into Q with One Step Update.
    edited December 2018
    Before I attempt to answer @Joe_Bedford's specific question, first a bit of history to this issue...

Once upon a time (i.e. more than 5 years ago), BMO started offering a new MasterCard product that was branded Mosaik. The Mosaik card was more "customizable" than other cards. For reasons that remain a mystery, BMO and Quicken (then Intuit) only set up the Web Connect connection type for the Mosaik cards, whereas Web Connect and Express Web Connect were both configured for BMO Bank of Montreal accounts. The Mosaik brand didn't work as hoped for BMO and they eventually discontinued it (Google BMO Mosaik if you have any doubts about this). Customers (like me) who had a Mosaik card were sent a replacement BMO Bank of Montreal card. At the time, I didn't catch on to the subtle discontinuation of the Mosaik brand and I didn't change my Quicken settings... I continued using Web Connect to download transactions for my (new BMO Bank of Montreal)... until, one day... I realized that I could simply deactivate Web Connect for BMO Mosaik and then create a Express Web Connect connection to BMO Bank of Montreal.

The BMO Bank of Montreal worked fairly well (some days there were hiccups) until a couple weeks ago when I and other users experienced issues with downloading from BMO using Express Web Connect. I brought this to the attention of the Q moderators and escalated the issue to the PD and scripts team and that issue got resolved fairly quickly.

Now, back to @Joe_Bedford's question. The Mosaik M-C doesn't exist anymore, so you shouldn't be using a connection to Mosaik. It has continued to work (at least until recently) because the Mosaik path is set up the same as BMO Bank of Montreal. My recommendation is that you deactivate the Web Connect connection (Edit/Delete_Account --> Online Services-->Deactivate) to Mosaik, then delete the Financial Institution, Account Number, and Banking Card ID from the General tab. Then close and re-open Quicken. Then proceed with setting up an Express Web Connect connection to BMO Bank of Montreal (not Mosaik). This should work. "Should" in the sense that it is working fine for me. The caveat is that some people see to be having issues with this, which I've reported to Q. I do recommend starting with switching to EWC for BMO Bank of Montreal and then we'll continue to work with Q support to get the whole Mosaik mess cleaned up.
  • Eric ZurfluhEric Zurfluh Member
    edited December 2018
    I feel like this thread is going very much off track. Transactions don't download regardless of format. I had the BMO customer service rep I talked to on the phone download the CSV of his own account and he confirmed he wasn't seeing any transactions either - he doesn't even have Quicken on his work computer. I believe the issue to be with BMO and something that has happened on, or shortly after, Jan 29th. During my ten years with RBC, I never had an single issue with online banking; with BMO it seems to be something monthly. Just saying.
    I've opened several tickets with BMO to get this fixed. They "... will respond to your request by email within approximately 7-10 business days". Great
  • Joanne ShawJoanne Shaw Member
    edited December 2018
    An .qfx file that contains no transactions in it is not a Quicken issue.  If you are having the problem with downloading recent transactions, open the .qfx file in Notepad and see what it contains.  I see a bunch of headers, some balance information and that is about it.  Open an older .qfx file or one from another bank, and see what a .qfx file normally contains.  So - I agree that the thread has gotten off track.  You are liable to break something in Quicken if you do anything with This has nothing to do with Quicken Express Web connections, nor whether the account description in Quicken contains the word Mosaik.  An empty .qfx file is the root of the problem.
    edited February 2018

An .qfx file that contains no transactions in it is not a Quicken issue.  If you are having the problem with downloading recent transactions, open the .qfx file in Notepad and see what it contains.  I see a bunch of headers, some balance information and that is about it.  Open an older .qfx file or one from another bank, and see what a .qfx file normally contains.  So - I agree that the thread has gotten off track.  You are liable to break something in Quicken if you do anything with This has nothing to do with Quicken Express Web connections, nor whether the account description in Quicken contains the word Mosaik.  An empty .qfx file is the root of the problem.

Actually, there is a problem with the QFX files that BMO is generating AND there are a couple problems related to Mosaik. The QFX problem is new as of the last couple/few days. The Mosaik problem has been around much longer... but, still needs to be cleaned up.

I've been investigating this more this evening. I also confirmed there are no transactions in the QFX file downloaded by Web Connect - and that is a BMO issue, but... there are also issues related to Mosaik.

If you set up a brand spanking new Q file (not an account, but a new file) and then download a QFX via Web Connect from the BMO Bank of Montreal website, it sets the FI up as Mosaik. The FIDIR.TXT doesn't support EWC for Mosaik, so if you then try to convert to EWC you can't... unless you clear out all the Mosaik references. Web Connect should never set up the FI as Mosaik because there is no such thing as a Mosaik card or FI.

Adding one more thing... EWC is still sending transactions, but only transactions posted up till about Jan 18th. My transactions posted after Jan 18, of which there are several, aren't coming through on EWC. This is particularly odd because I previously downloaded transactions via EWC up until Jan 31. Bizarre that some of the transactions that were previously in the feed are no longer in the feed.

I've brought the new information to the attention of the moderators.
  • Ottawa066Ottawa066 Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken suddenly only partially connecting to a bank account.

I posted this in an opened thread but got no response. I trying with a new thread. Where can one get user support for Quicken now? I have been using Quicken 2016 since I purchased it in July 2016 with no issue, until now. My Quicken is connected to a chequing account with one banking institution, and a credit card account with another institution. Since February 1, Quicken has stopped registering entries in my the credit card account. The 'online balance' at the bottom of the page gets updated and is correct, but none of the transactions are captured or displayed in Quicken since Feb.1, just the online total gets updated. There is no issue with the chequing account; it continues to update correctly and show transactions in Quicken. There has been no change made to my credit card, nor to my PC, nor to my Quicken software. I saw a reference above to the so-called Mondo patch, which I had download and applied before, but for good measure, I used the link above and did it again this morning. However, the "About Quicken" shows that I have Version R7 (Build 25.1.7.1), not R12, and I understand from that webpage that R7 is the latest version for Canada, so all good there. And the patch should not be relevant, as it's been round for some time, and I had already applied it, and everything worked fine - until January 31, 2018. Advice as to where a user can obtain user support for this product? Thanks in advance.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BMO Downloads.

Hello Ottawa066,

That's a great question and thank you for posting it.  Customer Support is available via phone Monday - Friday 5 am to 5 pm PST at 650-250-1900 or via Chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at https://www.quicken.com/support, just scroll to the very bottom of the page for the link to chat.

Thank you,

Sarah

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken suddenly only partially connecting to a bank account.
    edited December 2018

Is this issue with a BMO Bank of Montreal MasterCard?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken suddenly only partially connecting to a bank account.
    edited February 2018

Yes it is. You are familiar with the problem?

edited December 2018

Yes, I am very familiar with the issue. It wasn’t just a lucky guess. There is a problem on the BMO end. This is (mostly) not a Quicken issue. There is a Quicken component to the issue and I’ve already escalated that issue with Quicken and Intuit (aggregation server). You can work around the Quicken part of the issue, but you won’t be able to get this to work until BMO fixes the issue. I’ve filed a complaint with BMO. I encourage you to do the same. I recommend not telling BMO that you are having problems downloading to Q, because they will immediately blame Q and dismiss the issue. Tell BMO that there Download Account Details feature is generating files that contain no transactions, even if you choose the CSV format, which is not a Quicken format.If this doesn’t get fixed soon, we should file complaints with the ombudsman for BMO. We had to result to that with RBC about a year ago and finally got a RBC issue fixed that way.Please keep posting on this issue ! The more people who raise the same issue, the sooner it will be taken seriously and get addressed!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: BMO Downloads.
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BMO.

Oh, and calling Q support on this issue will be a waste of your time. Q can’t fix the critical issue here; only BMO can do that !

edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BMO.

Thanks. I am on Q tech support phone right now, but will follow up with BMO for sure. Thx for the info.

This discussion has been closed.