Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken for Mac 2018: Buy shares does not increase share balance

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Migrated from  Quicken Deluxe Windows 2015  to Quicken Deluxe for for macOS (High Sierra). Everything seems to be okay except when adding investment transactions. When a share purchase or re-invested dividend is entered, the share balance does not change. The reason is due to an automatic placeholder transaction that effectively cancels out the purchase.

In other support messages I saw the following link being used to describe the behaviour:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-what-are-placeholder-transactions-in-quicken...

But this discusses why placeholders are created from downloaded transactions.

I am manually entering these transactions so I am wondering why these placeholders are being added. Quicken should not be adding placeholders when a user manually adds or removes shares. Is there some setting that will disable this behaviour, or is this just a bug?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Placeholders are also created as the result of import from another version. You should be able to just delete the placeholder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    We corrected all the import issues. The issue now is any time I add an investment transaction it creates a placeholder offsetting the one I just added. Why is it not just adjusting the share balance? I can understand it having this behaviour from downloaded transactions since it gets a share balance from the institution but it makes no sense for manually added transactions.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

We corrected all the import issues. The issue now is any time I add an investment transaction it creates a placeholder offsetting the one I just added. Why is it not just adjusting the share balance? I can understand it having this behaviour from downloaded transactions since it gets a share balance from the institution but it makes no sense for manually added transactions.

Are you adding transactions before the date that you exported/imported the file from Windows?

What happens if you just delete the placeholder?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

These are new transactions after the import date. 

Deleting the placeholder solves the issue, but that means on every transaction we have to go and delete a placeholder transaction which is annoying.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

Sorry, I really don't know why the placeholder would keep re-appearing after you delete it once.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I find that I get placeholders for a new Buy or Sell usually the day before the transaction for that Buy or Sell is downloaded from my Broker. Some how Quicken knows the numbers of shares that are in my account before the transaction for those shares are available for download.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Again this is for manually added transactions that I have this issue. On downloaded transactions I can see Quicken trying to reconcile between what the broker reports. But a manually entered transaction should just update your share balance not add placeholders.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Oh to Rick's last comment, the placeholders do not re-appear for older transactions. A new placeholder gets created for every new manual transaction I add.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Chad I just added a manual Buy to one of my accounts and indeed a placeholder did appears. Just makes keeping track of an investment account manually very cumbersome. I agree that that should not happen.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

It seems that if an investment account is set up for downloading, Quicken is doing whatever it needs to do to make the number of shares equal what is downloaded. So when you add shares manually, it has to change the number of shares in the placeholder.

My recommendation is to not add the shares manually and wait for the download.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Well that works provided your brokerage supports downloaded transactions :)
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Sorry - I thought you meant they were downloading after you manually entered them. One more thought – are you transferring cash to the account so that there is cash available for the buy transaction? If not, Quicken may be adjusting the placeholder to keep the cash balance at zero. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

Chad... When you get a new placeholder each time you add a manual transaction, does that happen of you have already deleted the placeholder for that particular stock or fund? I would expect you to get a placeholder once for each first new manual transaction for each stock or fund. But after you've deleted a placeholder for that stock/fund, I would not expect one to reappear for that stock/fund.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

John M you may be right about transferring cash to the account before you make the Buy assuming you have a Zero Balance. I tried it for an account the currently has a Negative Balance and the stock was added and the Negative Balance got larger.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

RickO I added a stock I never owned to on of my investment accounts that had a Negative Balance and no placeholder was added. I then added that same stock to the account with Zero Balance and lo and behold no placeholder was added. But wait, I had earlier add a stock that I own to that same account and a placeholder was added. So Quicken seems to be inconsistent.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

Bruce, Its because the placeholders are only created to adjust the share balance of a stock that already existed in the account. If it is a new stock, then there's no point of reference to what the shares should have been on a certain date, and hence no placeholder.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

HickO how to explain the fact that sometimes Quicken adds the placeholder and sometimes it does not for a stock that isn't already in an account. I have no idea what Quicken uses to create a placeholder but it must be convoluted an may have a hole (bug) in it.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

It's kind of a mystery, to me at least. It is clearly handled differently for those created by comparison to online downloaded holdings vs those generated by accounts imported from other versions of Quicken. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

If I put in a Buy transaction, why should Quicken second guess whether I bought that stock or not. If I then download data from my Broker and there is a mismatch as to the number of shares I actually own then some sort of red flag should be raised. I am not sure added a placeholder is the right flag to add. Maybe a warning on the Portfolio view would be more apropos. I do believe that the Portfolio view does indicate the existence of a placeholders if you click the expand triangle to view the lots you own. Maybe if the particular stock in question should be highlighted or turned red to indicate a problem. But then what do I know all of my programming was done in Fortran many years ago.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

PS: I put a false Buy of 100 shares for one of the stocks I own and no placeholder was added (Good). I then downloaded transactions from my Broker and as it should Quicken added a placeholder for those 100 shares (Good). However, there is no warning or evidence of that mismatch in the Portfolio view (Very Bad).
  • RickO
    edited February 2018

Perhaps post your thoughts on the 5.5.0 thread so Marcus will see them. In your example, the incorrect buy stays in, and if the placeholder's cost info is not filled in, then while the share balance is correct, the cost basis is wrong. I think it's a great idea that when a placeholder is created, it is flagged prominently so that the user can look at why it's there.
This discussion has been closed.