Unknown account type / issues adding accounts

I'm having issues after I upgraded to Quicken for Windows 2018 (Deluxe). Actually I have always had issues periodically with quicken and my accounts syncing properly. The issue is that after my data was converted over from my quicken 2015 (windows) (actually running a mac with paralles desktop with windows 10 because quicken for mac does not support my bank), I now try to add accounts from my online banking and I get the screen that says the accounts have an un-recognized type and they get ignored. When I try a blank slate quicken file and re-add them they get added just fine. I've tried all the typical deactivate all the accounts and re activate them. But the same thing happens it only recognizes about 7 of 10 of the account types and ignores the rest. I've tried all the steps from the quicken help page to look for temp categories or temp accounts with no luck. I hate to start all over again but it seems to be my only option. My bank and Quicken are very temperamental and it is very frustrating. Maybe it's something corrupt in my quicken file, but I have tried to validate and repair the file with no luck there either.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited January 20
    If you haven't already, after you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with the financial institution, I suggest you verify the financial institution is no longer referenced in the One Step Update Settings window and clear the name of the financial institution name field on the General tab of each account.  Once the financial name has been cleared, you may be able to add the accounts you were having difficulty with.  It is possible you may not be able to link to one or more of the existing registers, if they have an inappropriate type, but you may still be able to move the transactions to a new register (and remove the old register).  Remember, always save a data file backup (Ctrl + B) before making any significant changes.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • ScarletlocsScarletlocs Member
    edited December 2018
    I am having the same issues I am new to quicken my 3 days in with 2018. I have tried to explain to quicken, something us wrong in the updates the account where there and then I went back and they don’t existing. Come on... whose fixing the issue.
    edited February 2018

I am having the same issues I am new to quicken my 3 days in with 2018. I have tried to explain to quicken, something us wrong in the updates the account where there and then I went back and they don’t existing. Come on... whose fixing the issue.

Scarletlocs: I suspect your issue may be different.  If you want to receive help from this community, I suggest you post your own query.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018
    @Lee_Christensen: In most cases, the Unknown Type problem can be fixed by executing the procedure below... you've already completed the diagnostic test, which is the first part of the process.

To start, as a diagnostic test, create a new Quicken file and try to set up your Express Web Connect downloads in the newly created file. If you can successfully download via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts), then deactivate the online connections in the test file and go back to your old/original file and complete the following procedure, being careful to follow it exactly and not skip any steps. If you were able to download into the new file, executing the following procedure will likely resolve your downloading issues. 

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active Express Web Connect (EWC) connections, including Hidden accounts, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate". Before closing each Account Details dialogue box, delete the financial institution name and account number from the General tab. Note: you do not have to deactivate Direct Connect or Web Connect connections; leave those activated.
    5. Once you are done deactivating all EWC connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button or the "UPDATE ACCOUNTS" button (it is labelled differently between versions). [Note: some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. If this applies to you, contact Quicken tech support for a method to deactivate the EWC connected mortgage]. Quicken should offer to perform a CC Reset. Proceed with performing the CC Reset.
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c" or anything starting with "TEMP", which don't appear in your account list or category list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the LINK account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    19. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running
    20. You may have duplicate transactions, which you can accept into the register (if not accepting automatically) and delete
    Please post back with detailed results.
  • Brian BlairBrian Blair Member
    edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

If you haven't already, after you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with the financial institution, I suggest you verify the financial institution is no longer referenced in the One Step Update Settings window and clear the name of the financial institution name field on the General tab of each account.  Once the financial name has been cleared, you may be able to add the accounts you were having difficulty with.  It is possible you may not be able to link to one or more of the existing registers, if they have an inappropriate type, but you may still be able to move the transactions to a new register (and remove the old register).  Remember, always save a data file backup (Ctrl + B) before making any significant changes.

I'm having the same issue with one bank (right now) - and did clear the financial institution after deactivating all the accounts for that bank.   File as been validated.  Re-Added all the accounts, shows it's connecting but no new transactions are added and the account balance is not updated.   
    edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

Brian Blair: I suspect your issue may be different.  If you want to receive help from this community, I suggest you post your own query.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

Which Financial institution is the problem with?
    edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

Local Bank - Prospect Bank (name was changed last year), but it is still looked up as Edgar County Bank & Trust.   Was working just fine until I upgraded to 2018 from 2017, then my primary account stopped working last week, so I reset all of them (Have 5 checking and 10 savings accounts - 7 kids).   Now it acts like its working but nothing downloads.

edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

I'm going to create a new file and see if I can get it to work.   Don't really want to scrap my existing file because I have a LOT of accounts that would take me a day to set back up.

edited February 2018

Where do you suggest I post my own query.? I am having the same issues. I added my bank account and I get the message that says UNKNOWN TYPE. How can that be seeing the bank info was working the day I bought the software which was Friday 2/9. Point me in the right direction so I can post my own query.
    edited February 2018

Where do you suggest I post my own query.?
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-community-tips-and-tricks
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited February 2018

@Scarletlocs: I posted (below) a procedure that usually resolves the Unknown Type issue with Express Web Setup.
  • edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

@Brian: try the process I provided. It usually resolves the Unknown Type issue you have encountered.
  • edited February 2018
    Sherlock said:

The Reset feature doesn’t work properly with many financial institutions.
    edited February 2018

Thank you... 
  • lablover57lablover57 Member
    edited December 2018
    When I get to #18, I don't get choices from the dropdown. I only have 'ADD'. very frustrated. For 2 weeks, Quicken 2018 worked and then last week, nothing was working,especially after the latest update. 
    edited February 2018

When I get to #18, I don't get choices from the dropdown. I only have 'ADD'. very frustrated. For 2 weeks, Quicken 2018 worked and then last week, nothing was working,especially after the latest update. 

Are you sure to removed the financial institution's name at #4?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited February 2018

@Lee_Christensen: In most cases, the Unknown Type problem can be fixed by executing the procedure below... you've already completed the diagnostic test, which is the first part of the process.

To start, as a diagnostic test, create a new Quicken file and try to set up your Express Web Connect downloads in the newly created file. If you can successfully download via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts), then deactivate the online connections in the test file and go back to your old/original file and complete the following procedure, being careful to follow it exactly and not skip any steps. If you were able to download into the new file, executing the following procedure will likely resolve your downloading issues. 

4. For all active Express Web Connect (EWC) connections, including Hidden accounts, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate". Before closing each Account Details dialogue box, delete the financial institution name and account number from the General tab. Note: you do not have to deactivate Direct Connect or Web Connect connections; leave those activated.
    5. Once you are done deactivating all EWC connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button or the "UPDATE ACCOUNTS" button (it is labelled differently between versions). [Note: some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. If this applies to you, contact Quicken tech support for a method to deactivate the EWC connected mortgage]. Quicken should offer to perform a CC Reset. Proceed with performing the CC Reset.
    7. Re-open Quicken
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c" or anything starting with "TEMP", which don't appear in your account list or category list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the LINK account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    20. You may have duplicate transactions, which you can accept into the register (if not accepting automatically) and delete
    Thank you for the detailed response, here is how things turned out for me.

Following your procedure I found a few things:
    1 - Step 5 where it says to hold down ctrl + shift while pressing the update / send button, it didn't do anything. I'm using a Mac with parallels desktop so I'm wondering if the button mapping is not right?? What is the expected behavior when you press ctrl + shift and press the update/send button? Also I think there was a financial institution drop down that was blanked out on that same page as update/send, I assume this is correct to leave it that way?

2 - When I did the file validation it did find two transactions that were categorized or referenced accounts that were deleted. So I went in and cleared the category field. The next validation was clean.

I was able to get all of the accounts to link back up for my FIRST login. The odd thing is that there is one loan account that does not show up at all. Previously quicken treated it as if it was a paid off account, which it is not, it's an active account just like my other loans. Not a big deal that I can't get it added as I have all the important ones working again.

My second login I tried on a brand new quicken workbook and it added everything just fine. But when I go to my working workbook and then to the account list and activate online services for this second login / account I get the same behavior as before where it says the account types from the second login are unknown still.

A few notes about what I did for categories.. I deleted all the categories and added my own custom 13 categories. The 100ish predefined groups and categories are way too complicated for a simple budget and had to sift through. So when I look at the categories list all I see is my 13 categories and then the "transfers" tab lists all the transfers I have done, it looks like I can't delete these transfer categories. It seems like it creates these "categories" when you do account to account transfers. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my custom categories or the transfer categories that it generated??

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    You weren't able to complete Step #5 successfully. You need to figure out the keystroke combination for Mac Parallels that will cause Quicken to present a dialogue box that asks if you want to perform a "CC Reset". I vaguely recall that someone has already solved this (keystroke) mystery, but I don't recall the solution. The CC Reset may be an essential element of the solution to your problem. The CC Reset isn't always necessary, but when it is necessary... it is necessary ;-)  Hence my caution regarding skipping steps... and you, unintentionally, skipped a step.

Creating custom categories shouldn't cause issues. You are correct, you can't delete the transfer categories. There is, what you call, a transfer category associated with every account/register and the "transfer category" could only be deleted by deleting the corresponding account/register.

I recommend that you do NOT use the LINKed loan feature. It is problematic.
  • Karen LarsenKaren Larsen Member
    edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    You are a hero. I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for a week or so now. Your very concise directions were easy to follow, and by step 13 my file was clean. Everything is up and running and it solved my problem. Thank you!
  • edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    Thanks Karen !
    edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    Thanks For the instructions Artic Hare.   I did what you suggested and while I didn't have any file errors, it worked.   I just successfully connected the 5 Checking and 10 Savings accounts at one financial institution and am working on setting everything else back up!
  • ScottScott Member
    edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    These instructions worked for me as well to get accounts sync'ing again after upgrading to 2018 version.  Now, lets see if it stays stable longer than a day.
  • Paul AshbyPaul Ashby Member
    edited February 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    Thanks so much for this post.  I was having all kinds of "Ignore" / Unknown Type problems and this detailed explanation walked me right through the fix and corrected all my issues.  Thank a million!!
  • edited February 2018

@lablover57: ensure that the Financial, Bank Card ID, and Account Number fields on the General tab of the Account Dialogue box are blank for all accounts that you want to set up as EWC before commencing the EWC process.
  • edited March 2018

7. Re-open Quicken
    So I had everything working as of my last post. Now it's broken again. Is anyone else having constant problems with quicken and their bank? I have no way of telling if it's my bank or quicken (whenever I call the one they blame the other and if I do get any help it's no where as detailed or helpful as what has been posted here on this thread..). I spend more time trying to fix it than actually using quicken. Has anyone found any good alternatives that have the same functionality as quicken with better reliability? I feel like it shouldn't take this much effort to work with a program every time. I've tried Mint, Personal Finance, and Quickbooks online, and they are all garbage. I need something with these Quicken features, like basic checkbook with cash flow (future projections..) and budgeting (with simple or custom categories, the 100 odd categories quicken has is ridiculous, I need 15 buckets MAX. I really don't need anything else. But I must have the forward projections and checkbook transaction matching / reconciling. Any suggestions? I can't deal with this broken program anymore (could be the bank too...). Any thoughts or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. End Rant. Thanks!
  • ssechsvssechsv Member
    edited January 11
    Well, I followed the process above as suggested by Artic Hare but it only worked partway.  Out of 13 accounts, only 3 look correct now. The others are missing big gaps of transactions, between last March and December.  Any other suggestions?
  • edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

Well, I followed the process above as suggested by Artic Hare but it only worked partway.  Out of 13 accounts, only 3 look correct now. The others are missing big gaps of transactions, between last March and December.  Any other suggestions?

The process I provided will fix connection issues, including, but not limited to the Unknown Type issue. It does not (magically) increase the range of transactions that any particular FI pushes out through an EWC connection. You will have to use an alternate download and import method (not EWC) to import such long past dates transactions.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

It sounds like it worked as best it can to make the accounts functional again. The history of transactions available for download is often determined by the financial institution (FI) and outside of Quicken's control. There are a couple of methods that might allow going back further in history than initially allowed.

First, is going to the institution's website and looking for a way to download a Quicken qfx file from the missing time period. Again, this feature is controlled by the FI and not Quicken.

Second, (this only works for spending accounts) you can look at a hidden table in Quicken and try setting the DTSTART date back to the beginning of the time period you are missing. You can access that table in Tools>Online Center. Select the FI with missing transactions from the pull-down menu. Then hold the Ctrl key while clicking Contact Info in the menu bar. Select the FI again and click the Reset DTSTART, set the date, then check the box next to that option and the click Update/Send. OSU will launch and request the old dates, but keep in mind the FI just may not make them available. There is also a risk of duplicates being downloaded but they can be handled easier by changing the sort order of the account register to Order Entered.

Trying to get transactions from last March is a big ask. Many FI's offer only 90 days, but a few go pretty far back.
  • edited March 2018
    ssechsv said:

@Markus: what are “spending” accounts?
This discussion has been closed.