Quicken for the Mac Validation/Repair

How may a Quicken Deluxe for the Mac USA v5.5.2 data file be validated and/or repaired?

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Why are you interested in doing such? Are you having problems?

The database that Quicken for Mac uses is a much more modern data base with much higher fault tolerance built in compared to the older Windows database. Thus, there is no validate/repair. While corruption certainly can occur, if it does, it is very, very obvious. Usually something else is amiss.
  • Richard KennedyRichard Kennedy Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes, I'm having problems. The portfolio view of one account shows a market value of $1.8M yet the transaction view and the account summary in the left hand column shows a market value of -$75K (that's a negative $75K). After uploading the diagnostic files Quick Help said I should delete the file and reenter the thousands of transactions in the account. They wouldn't tell me what the nature of the underlying problem.
    edited February 2018

Yes, I'm having problems. The portfolio view of one account shows a market value of $1.8M yet the transaction view and the account summary in the left hand column shows a market value of -$75K (that's a negative $75K). After uploading the diagnostic files Quick Help said I should delete the file and reenter the thousands of transactions in the account. They wouldn't tell me what the nature of the underlying problem.

I don't suspect your database is corrupt. I think something else is going on.

And deleting/reentering all your transactions is not a valid solution. 

You will need to poke around to see what is amiss. 1) What is your sidebar presences set to show the display as? You can click on the ellipsis at the top of the sidebar to see. 2) Is the market value supposed to be $1.8m? That might be nice for most, but we don't know if it is over/under what it should be. 3) Have you investigated the transaction view? Do you have any placeholders at the beginning of the account that are mucking with your balances?

Before you can solve the problem, I think you need to do some spelunking in your data to see what is actually throwing things off. You don't go from 1.8 million to -$75K without an obvious reason.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

To get you started with placeholders, here's some more info on them:

FAQ: What Are Placeholder Transactions in Quicken for Mac?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Richard KennedyRichard Kennedy Member
    edited February 2018

(1) The sidebar preferences follow:

(2) I have the statement from the account holder and the market value is correct.

(3) There are no placeholder transactions.
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have things setup correctly (price histories, shares, etc.) to build the correct market value. 

Without seeing your account(s), I would look at the transaction view to see what the running balance is there. See if it is what it should be. If not, investigate why. Also, be on the lookout for unpaid scheduled transactions if you have them. If everything looks correct there, I would try disabling the sidebar balances and reset them to show. I have seen some issues with that.

I am sorry that this isn't much to go with, but without being there, I can't offer much more. 
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Do you have accounts with different currencies?  In the grouped registers, the market value will match the account selection but on the sidebar, the grouped register does a currency conversion to arrive at the correct balance in your home currency.
  • RelberfeldRelberfeld Member ✭✭
    the reason he can't answer how to repair or validate is that the geniuses at quicken didn't include this function in the Mac version (along with a lot of other useful features). You are basically screwed if you have anything go wrong with the file on a Mac. I am a 25 year user of this product, so I know what they have done to it, unfortunately. now they want you to pay an annual fee to use it. don't..
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Relberfeld Do you realize you posted on a thread that is 17 months old? It's not an active problem someone is trying to solve.

Repair and validate is something that's built into Quicken Windows to fix problems that can and do occur with the Quicken Windows database. Repair and validate isn't some magic elixir; it fixes specific problems know to occur in that database.  The Quicken Mac database -- whihc uses the macOS built in SQL database -- is very different, and doesn't have the types of problems that repair and validate solve on the Windows product. Asking for this tool on the Mac product therefore doesn't make sense; it's like after discovering that an air pump included with a basketball you purchased can be a lifesaver, then asking for an air pump to be included with every ball sold -- even though there's no purpose for an air pump with a softball.

Now, your broader point that Quicken Mac doesn't include other useful features found in Quicken Windows, or even the predecessor Quicken 2007 Mac product, is correct. Quicken Mac is a complete re-write of the prgram for the modern macOS, and the development team has not yet built certain features or functionality the older products have. No one, including the developers and manageemnt at Quicken, say otherwise. It's a problem they've been working to solve for the past several years, and while they've made significant progress, we're still a long way from complete feature parity between the Mac and Windows products. We could discuss for pages and pages the sad history of Quicken Mac in the last decade of ownership by former parent Intuit; we can speculate about whether revenues from the Mac product are large enough for there to be a larger Mac development team that could innovate faster -- but I think everyone can agree that Quicken Mac has gotten much better since it was introduced 5 years ago and that it's still not where it needs to be.

The bottom line for each of us is simply whether Quicken suits our needs enough to continue to use it, and if it provides enough value to be worth the cost to use it. Everyone uses Quicken differently. For some, it's a simple checkbook manager; for others, it is used to manage investments which may be simple or complex, or to budget, or to keep books for a small business. For me, what it costs per year is worth it for me for what Quicken gathers and stres in one place. If you determine it's not worth it for you, then by all means move on to something else you think suits your needs better -- but there's no reason to try to convince others that they shouldn't use it for their needs, which may be different. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.