When adding shares, total cost required (3 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
Quicken Community Employee mod
edited February 2020 in Investments (Mac)
I enter my transactions manually form a monthly statement. My statement shows added shares and their cost price, not the total transaction, so I have to multiply manually every time. Quicken 2016 used to give us a choice to enter shares number and price with total automatically calculated.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree. You should be able to enter any two values in this equation: numShares * costPerShare = totalCost, like you used to be able to do. But stop recalculating the third item and messing up the calculation part way through the data entry.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Do you mean QM16 allowed that?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes, Quicken Home & Business for Windows (Canadian version) there was no Mac version for Camada back then
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018

Yes, Quicken Home & Business for Windows (Canadian version) there was no Mac version for Camada back then

Ok glad you clarified this as a Windows product. I assume you are presently using QM18.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes I am.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018

Yes I am.

well we are in the same boat .The way QM18 works , the total cost & share qty is required, QM fills in share price. I agree would be easier if you are doing manual entry
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Yes I am.

it cannot that difficult toggle us the option to enter number of shares and cost per share and have Quicken calculate the total cost
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018

Yes I am.

Agree should not be difficult, perhaps one fo the Quicken folks can respond here on this issue
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Yes I am.

sorry, autocorrect messed this up:
    it cannot be that difficult to give us the option to enter number of shares and cost per share and have Quicken calculate the total cost
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I agree. You should be able to enter any two values in this equation: numShares * costPerShare = totalCost, like you used to be able to do. But stop recalculating the third item and messing up the calculation part way through the data entry.

The best set-up is to be able to enter any 2 and the 3rd one is only calculated when you tab/click out of the second field...that's how it works in QM2007 and I think QWin too.
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This request should not be archived. This would be a welcome change if the developers would implement it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team
    -Quicken Anja