Add a search bar to the categories window

John Morrow
John Morrow Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Display/UI (Mac)
Here is small request for improvement, the Categories window is missing a search bar. I often find myself looking for a particular category, for example to find out if there is any duplicate, and this is quite tedious without a search field.

Such a search bar exists already for Payee, Tags, Actions, Securities, but not for Categories.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released.
6 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This feature has been implemented in V5.13.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

I agree. But John, there is a "hidden" search feature. It works like this. Type a couple or a few letters of what you are looking for. Quicken will jump down to the first category containing those letters. Not the one you want? Then wait a couple seconds and type the letters again. There's a bit of an art to knowing how long to wait before typing the letters the 2nd time. But once you get used to it, it is pretty efficient.

That said, I think most people have more categories than tags or actions. So categories deserves a search field too.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • hklehman
    hklehman Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've had the same complaint for years. My "category" and "tag" lists have grown quite large, since I have been using Quicken for many (many) years (I think the late 1980s). The Quicken "search" functions available when building reports are next to useless. Even a simple "Find again" or "next" button just below the search bar would be a big improvement.
  • Patrick Flaherty
    Patrick Flaherty Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The "Categories" window needs a search/filter field just like the payee, tags, etc. While typing a word does search and bring me to a certain category, this is not very helpful when I'm trying to review for redundant categories, modify and/or merge. Also include a usage count. I'm surprised this issue doesn't have more interest. Is there's another ticket for the same issue??
  • charris
    charris Member
    It doesn't appear to be possible to search/filter categories from within the categories window (accessed via shift+command+c)--is that correct?

If so, how can one request that feature? Given that there are usually lots of categories, being able to search/filter would be very helpful in managing categories.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Charris,

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread for this feature.

Be sure to add your vote at the top of the page.

The development team reviews Idea posts to see what people would like Quicken to offer.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.