Feature Request - Duplicate Transaction Finder

Please create a tool or report to find duplicate transactions.  The minimum (default) search criteria should be transactions with the same amount on the same date.  Optional / advanced settings should allow the user to get more specific by selecting other fields (payee, category...) to include with wildcards usable in the search strings for the fields that are "pre-defined" (like category, tag, account...).  Optional also in an "advanced" duplicate transaction search should be the ability to specify a date range. 
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    One idea for implementing this would be to use the existing Find dialog and add a checkbox to show duplicates transactions only. A similar checkbox could be used with the existing Search filter.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • T8246T8246 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like it! In the Reports section they have a "Missing Check Numbers" option, so why not have a "Duplicate Transactions" option.
  • GreyCrownGreyCrown Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I was going to create my own post when i saw this one. Duplicate finder can be very helpful in the event your credit card is accidentally double swiped. Unless you are pouring over the details this can easily be missed. I just recently got lucky and found a duplicate charge which then prompted me to contest it with the credit card company. 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22

I was going to create my own post when i saw this one. Duplicate finder can be very helpful in the event your credit card is accidentally double swiped. Unless you are pouring over the details this can easily be missed. I just recently got lucky and found a duplicate charge which then prompted me to contest it with the credit card company. 

Be sure to vote up this suggestion.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • curtiscurtis Member ✭✭
    Search criterial base on date & amount.
    Not a sorting suggestion. But simply providing results that only list duplicates.
    I use it all of the time in SQL.
  • curtiscurtis Member ✭✭
    Here is an example:
    4-10-2017, 100.00, Chase
    4-10-2017, 100.00, Cse ATM
    So, the date and amount match, but the vendor description is different. Now I can go to the vendor statement and determine if there were two 100.00 transactions on or near that date.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a good idea, but why are you getting these duplicates?

Quicken does quite a good job of matching downloaded transactions to ones that are already in your register, which for me virtually eliminates this type of duplicate. I think the matching criteria are something like <date is close> AND <amount is equal> AND <existing transaction is uncleared>

In order for this to work, you should un-check the "Automatically add" options in Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions, so you will have an opportunity to delete and/or re-match any duplicates before they get into your register
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription