Paid bills still show up in reminders

Today I paid several bills via "Bills & Income" tab, "Pay/Enter" button.  I used a combination of methods to pay these bills - Quicken Bill pay (via "Pay" button) and outside of Quicken Bill Pay (via "Enter" button).

After inputting the transactions and performing a one-step update, the bills are still showing as "upcoming" in my bill register reminders.

In all cases, I paid the bill prior to its due-date including "today" and a few days from now. 

Please advise why these bills are showing as "upcoming" and not reflected as "paid"

Comments

• Marilee SandoMarilee Sando Member
    edited February 2018

No advice, just want to say this is happening to me as well. Following to see if there's a solution...

• ChrisChris Member
    edited February 2018
    Happening to me also
  • Karen VierraKaren Vierra Member
    edited December 2018
    It's happening to me as well; it's creating bogus register entries.  So, after every update I select the bogus entry in the register; I then click  "edit this instance and all future instances", and then click "done" in the popup.  The bogus entry then goes away in the register and the Bills and Income entries are reset to "awaiting next bill".  (Note:  The "popup" shows the correct date that the next bill is due).

It's not happening with all my bills, though.  I've noticed it's doing this to the bills that are on Automatic Payment at the financial institution.  However, it's being selective; it's not doing this for loans, or reminders which I have set to enter automatically into my register(s).

The other issue I'm having has to do with the ENORMOUS amount of time it takes for Quicken to finish updating.  The system keeps flashing while, I assume, it's doing its communication/update thing.  This last time it took over three (3) minutes to quit doing this!  

This is such an annoying hassle.

Quicken Deluxe 2018:  R6.11 
    Windows 10 Home

Checking Register Before One-Step Update:

Checking Register After One-Step Update:

Once I make the edits, the register goes back to looking like it should.
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited March 2018
    Any super user with any ideas?  Don't seem Quicken is going to offer help.
  • Vickie HearneVickie Hearne Member
    edited December 2018
    asking Quicken to open a bug on this - it's hugely annoying and I just upgraded and have to keep a paper list of what's been paid... ugh
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited March 2018
    any suggestions from anyone, mainly a Quicken rep?  Why do previously paid bills keep returning to the due list?
  • edited March 2018
    me too.  
    edited March 2018

It's happening to me as well; it's creating bogus register entries.  So, after every update I select the bogus entry in the register; I then click  "edit this instance and all future instances", and then click "done" in the popup.  The bogus entry then goes away in the register and the Bills and Income entries are reset to "awaiting next bill".  (Note:  The "popup" shows the correct date that the next bill is due).

It's not happening with all my bills, though.  I've noticed it's doing this to the bills that are on Automatic Payment at the financial institution.  However, it's being selective; it's not doing this for loans, or reminders which I have set to enter automatically into my register(s).

The other issue I'm having has to do with the ENORMOUS amount of time it takes for Quicken to finish updating.  The system keeps flashing while, I assume, it's doing its communication/update thing.  This last time it took over three (3) minutes to quit doing this!  

This is such an annoying hassle.

Quicken Deluxe 2018:  R6.11 
    Windows 10 Home

Checking Register Before One-Step Update:

Checking Register After One-Step Update:

Once I make the edits, the register goes back to looking like it should.

Well, I'm now using R6.12, and there's been NO CHANGE.  I'm sure you all are in the same boat. 

In order to keep the registers right, I'm still doing the "edit" thing.  It's still coming up with these five (5) billers.  In my case they are:  (1) Farmers, (2) Synchrony Financial, (3) Citi, (4) Chase, and, (5) South Valley Sewer District.  Once again, the commonality with these continue to be that they are set for AutoPay.  All are for their due dates, with the exception of #5 (which is scheduled earlier than the biller's official due date). 

I'm stumped as to why this issue hasn't affected all my bills.  AT&T has dropped off my list, but I can't figure out why.  
    edited March 2018

asking Quicken to open a bug on this - it's hugely annoying and I just upgraded and have to keep a paper list of what's been paid... ugh

How did you submit your request?  I'd like to support whatever you submitted.
  • Barry SchnellBarry Schnell Member
    edited December 2018
    The status of this post is currently "Acknowledged" which implies that a moderator has agreed that this is an issue with the product and hopefully has discussed with the product team.  Unfortunately, other than user input, there are no updates on this issue nor it's acknowledgement.

Can someone from Quicken please provide a status on this?  
    edited March 2018

The status of this post is currently "Acknowledged" which implies that a moderator has agreed that this is an issue with the product and hopefully has discussed with the product team.  Unfortunately, other than user input, there are no updates on this issue nor it's acknowledgement.

Can someone from Quicken please provide a status on this?  

Well...at least it’s acknowledged. Thanks.
  • AholiabAholiab Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Bills claims I haven't paid my bills..

Quicken Bills & Income/Bills repeatedly says that I haven't pays numerous of my bills. But they are all paid. Why doesn't Bills indicate what I have actually paid? I'm spending tons of time, updating my Bills, visiting the Bill Pay website, but I have great dissatisfaction with how Quicken indicates that bills are actually paid. Very unhappy with Quicken now.

I'm using Premier 2018.
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited March 2018
    Aholiab said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Bills claims I haven't paid my bills..

Quicken Bills & Income/Bills repeatedly says that I haven't pays numerous of my bills. But they are all paid. Why doesn't Bills indicate what I have actually paid? I'm spending tons of time, updating my Bills, visiting the Bill Pay website, but I have great dissatisfaction with how Quicken indicates that bills are actually paid. Very unhappy with Quicken now.

I'm using Premier 2018.

Aholiab, Join the wait.  The problem was reported 2 weeks ago and Quicken  hasn't made a statement.  Every time I open quicken, all my bills show back up even the paid ones.

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Community and I apologize that this has been happening.  There have been several reports of various issues with the new Bills & Income tab view and processes; this is why this post was marked as "Acknowledged", however, I have been researching these specific complaints and am unable to reproduce them with the limited information available.

I would love to get this in front of Development so it can be properly investigated and a fix implemented.  Since I can't duplicate the experience, can you please provide the exact step by step pathway to reproduce these errors?  As well as answer the additional questions below, if applicable for your situation.
    • The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?
    • During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)?
    • @Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?
    • Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken?
    • If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?
    • Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller?  
    • On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?
    Any additional details, information or screenshots (personal information redacted to protect your privacy please) you can share on this issue would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Don HoffmanDon Hoffman Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Paid Bills show in Reminders.

I am running 2018 rel 6.12 on windows 10 latest release with the same problem.  I've tried marking them paid, ignoring them and deleting them with no success.  They are not specific to any bank or Credit card.  They are coming in from the bills and income because they have no download id.  and it is not consistant.  sometimes they are there and other times they are not.  They are easier to spot now because I have added the download id but that creates an added column i do not need.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Paid bills being added back into reminder list after updating bills.
  • AholiabAholiab Member
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Community and I apologize that this has been happening.  There have been several reports of various issues with the new Bills & Income tab view and processes; this is why this post was marked as "Acknowledged", however, I have been researching these specific complaints and am unable to reproduce them with the limited information available.

I would love to get this in front of Development so it can be properly investigated and a fix implemented.  Since I can't duplicate the experience, can you please provide the exact step by step pathway to reproduce these errors?  As well as answer the additional questions below, if applicable for your situation.

• The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?
    • During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)?
    • @Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?
    • Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken?
    • If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?
    • Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller?  
    • On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?
    Any additional details, information or screenshots (personal information redacted to protect your privacy please) you can share on this issue would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah
    I'll try.
    • These were all made in Quicken Bill Pay. Nothing else.
    • During One Step Update, so far as I know, information went to QBP, not my bank.
    • The transactions have been duplicates when cleared.
    • I have tried to link with an online biller, but three times recently I have ended with a duplicate biller, both with the same address and same account number.
    • After the problem, I mark bills as "Mark as Paid," to no effect: One Step Update reinstates the bill (which actually is paid). Same for "Ignore." Neither helps.
    I have no present bills with this problem, so I'm attempting to reconstruct this from memory. Hope I'm close enough.
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Quicken Sarah -

First off, thank you for posting, it is great to finally see this issue getting attention from Quicken, greatly appreciated.

Regarding your questions, let me first offer that I'd be more than willing to schedule a call with you and a developer to experience these issues real time.  I'm a software developer myself (which is part of where my frustration with these issues comes from) so am experienced in troubleshooting/isolation.  I'll put it out there as an option for you and the dev team so please let me know if there is reciprocal interest.

Regarding pathway, it's relatively straightforward:

1) Reminder existed in 2017 and was linked to online biller in 2017
    2) Upgraded to 2018
    3) Register for Quicken Bill Pay
    4) Wait for transactions to hit checking account
    5) Confirm transactions
    6)  "Edit all instances of reminder" and choose "Online Bill Pay" setting up the QBP
    7) Click "Pay"
    8) Send payments
    9) One Step Update

Expected Behavior
    Bills shows paid in register and does not show up in Reminders or if it does, does not have a date and shows "Awaiting next bill"

Actual Behavior
    Payment shows in checking account register, assigned a check number (e.g. 9001) but also shows up in Reminders showing that it's due

From there, I would "ignore this one" for the bill and after next online update, it shows up again as due.  As a specific example, I paid a bill to Frontier (internet service) around 2/25 with a due date of 3/1.  The transaction has cleared by checking account already as this was 14 days ago.  Today, after an online update, Fronter showed up in reminders as "Due March 9th"  THe bill is paid, it was paid 15+ days ago, but keeps showing up as due.

Hopefully the above helps some.  For your specific questions:

1) The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made? I see the most issues with bills paid through QBP but I've seen issues with non-QBP bills as well.  For example, I have an auto-draft for one provider and just hit "Enter" in reminders to input the payment.  This one keeps resurfacing in reminders as well from time-to-time.

2) During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)? - No, reminders re-appear after OneStep Update even when there are no payment instructions being sent.  In fact, nearly all of my OneStep updates (including the one today that made Frontier show up again) do not have payment instructions

3) @Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?  See details above, input via either "Pay" or "Enter" button on reminders

4)  Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken? Reminders re-appeared both before clearing and after clearing

5) If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?  Manual "Accept" of match from download transaction to what is in register

6) Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller? In my case, I believe the answer to this is yes - they all have online billers.  I do believe this is part of root cause based on my unscientific testing.  For one of my bills, I removed all "connections" (e.g. QBP, Online Biller, etc.) and ran that way for a couple of days including performing OneStep Updates.  If I remember correctly, the reminder never re-appeared - I can't be 100% certain but I think that was the case (I tried this a week or so ago).

7) On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?  The first time, I always use "Pay" or "Enter".  When they re-appear I either choose "Mark as Paid" or "Ignore this one" depending on options presented.  

I can reproduce this problem almost every time I perform an online update.  Again, happy to schedule time for a call with you and the developer so we can get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible.  As it stands, Quicken 2018 is completely unreliable and people are having to resort to manual tracking of their bills as a result.

Hope this helps and thank you again!
  • Bren CarsonBren Carson Member
    edited March 2018
    Running Windows-10 / Quicken 2018 R6.12. I joined this topic due to having the exact same problem. The likely cause IMO is the OSU downloads invoice/statement bills from linked billers, although the bill just recently paid by Bill-Pay . The vendor's website still shows a bill is coming due, not knowing the Bill-Pay payment is being processed. When Quicken goes to the biller's website, it gives you a new reminder the bill is due. We need a simple way to deactivate the linked bills, but still have the reminder. The invoice/statement downloads from the billers are not serving any useful purpose as long as they are functioning this way.
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi Barry

Thank you for your response and providing the additional information and answers to my multiple questions.  I've sent you an email from our internal Support system in regards to this, please keep an eye out for the email and reply to let me know at your convenience.

Thanks again!

Sarah
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi Sarah - Thanks for reaching out.  I've replied to your DM and look forward to working with you to isolate and resolve this issue!
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Sarah:  Per your question:

(3) @Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?  (a) I hit "Enter" on the Bills and Income Reminders List, and, (b) complete the entry as an "EFT" making sure the correct payment date and amount is listed in the dialogue box.

After the next One Step Update, the transactions are duplicated in both the checking and account registers.  For example:  the Citi payment shows up in my checking account and Costco Card registers; the categories for both entries show - [Costco Card].

• Here's a picture of what's happening in the checking register (after bills have been paid by "EFT", and then another One Step Update is performed):

• And, here's a picture of what's happening in the Costco Card register (whereas the 2nd entry is the transaction that is the actual payment posted):

• Also, here's a picture of what the Bill and Income Reminder for Citi looks like after I paid the current bill:
    • I have exactly the same problem with other billers, as far as the checking account & credit card account registers go.  However, the Chase bill that's due shows up in the Bill and Income Reminder list as if I hadn't posted any payment (i.e. $Due is showing):

The same goes for other bills (insurance, utilities, etc.).

I HOPE THIS HELPS!  And I think I can speak for the rest of your customers when I say that I sure hope someone comes up with a fix, pronto!

• edited December 2018
    Quicken Sarah!  My answers to your questions:

1) The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?
    1 Answer)  Payments were made on billers web site

2)During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)?
    2 Answer) No I do not use Quicken Bill Pay

3)@Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?
    3 Answer) Although I am not Barry or Karren - I cannot attest to all the bills, but I believe most were first entered in Q-2017.  I pay the pills on line and use "Enter This Instance" when I pay the bill.

4) Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken?
    4 Answer)  The bills have not cleared the financial institution.

5) If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?  (Not applicable)

6) Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller?
    6 Answer) Yes! 

7) On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?
    7 Answer) I pay the pills on line and use "Enter This Instance" when I pay the bill.
    edited March 2018

Quicken Sarah!  My answers to your questions:

1) The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?
    1 Answer)  Payments were made on billers web site

2)During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)?
    2 Answer) No I do not use Quicken Bill Pay

3)@Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?
    3 Answer) Although I am not Barry or Karren - I cannot attest to all the bills, but I believe most were first entered in Q-2017.  I pay the pills on line and use "Enter This Instance" when I pay the bill.

4) Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken?
    4 Answer)  The bills have not cleared the financial institution.

5) If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?  (Not applicable)

6) Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller?
    6 Answer) Yes! 

7) On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?
    7 Answer) I pay the pills on line and use "Enter This Instance" when I pay the bill.

Same here, Dave.  
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited March 2018

The paid bills
    that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill
    Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?

The bills are paid
    multiple ways, transfer from checking to loan on credit unions website, institution
    bill pay service, paper check

During the One
    Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial
    Institution(s)?

I do not know the
    answer to this question.

Have the payments
    cleared at the Financial Institution?  If
    so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into
    Quicken?

No they have not
    cleared.

Is every bill that still shows in the
    reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller? 

No, some are not
    linked to anything. 

On the Bills &
    Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on
    the reminder?  Or something else? If so,
    what action are you taking? 

When actually paying
    the bill, I select “enter” but when reminder shows back up I select “mark as
    paid” or “ignore”     I did notice
    tonight, that when it is past the due date, the bill, linked or not, does not
    show back up as due.

edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Sarah - UPDATE

WORKAROUND:  I decided to delete all the Manual Bill Reminders that were linked to an Online Biller, to see what happens.  Well, guess what...this took care of the issues I was having as far as bogus entries being posted to the registers.  Some of the paid bills showed up as due in the Online Billers; so, I marked them as paid.  I re-ran an update, and it all looks good now.

I really didn't want to do this, since I rely on all the information for each bill that I had listed in the manual reminders.  It seems we should be able to use your "Link to Biller" feature in our Bill and Income Reminders.  I hope you can figure out how we can get this feature working correctly.
  • BryanBryan Member
    edited April 2018
    Having similar issue - 2018 Premier, W10 just started using Quicken bill pay feature in 2018 version so I do not have the bill payer upgrade complexity, although my data file has been upgraded many times.

Issue: from the Bills & Income tax_Bills selection, when I select 'mark paid' for bills that were paid through another bill pay service, the reminder goes away for an unknown time (does not always come right back if I refresh bills), but then a day or two later it comes back as due.  I have logged in to the payee's website and they show a zero balance due, yet Quicken Bill Pay is bringing the bills back to life over and over.

The bills that I am scheduling through Quicken Bill Pay sometimes function correctly and other times they come back (Chase credit card like one of the above is an issue), payment has cleared the register today yet comes back as due today on the Bills page), Other payees worked correctly (so far).  I am not using bill reminders, just going to the bill section each time and looking for due payments.

The problem happens after one step update more than the refresh the bill icon from the bill pay page.

Help!!!

Thanks.
  • edited July 2018
    Quicken Sarah,  Any updates on this issue,  Have you identified the root cause, or have you been able to reproduce the issue?  
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Sarah -

We had a scheduled call for 8am last Monday but I never heard from you.  I sent 3 different emails last week to support but never heard back from any one. 

I have the problem occurring right now and am holding off on paying my monthly bills so that you can see the problem in action as we discussed. 

Monday is the last day that I can wait to pay my bills so please contact me so we can have a call and I can show you this issue. 

This thread keeps growing with more and more users having these issues and it must be resolved.  Thank you!
    edited March 2018

Quicken Sarah,  Any updates on this issue,  Have you identified the root cause, or have you been able to reproduce the issue?  

Hi Dave,

My deepest apologies, I was out of the office all last week due to a broken foot and am just getting back in; unfortunately no progress has been made on this issue as of yet but we are still investigating and I will post any updates as soon as I have them.

I apologize for the further delay but truly appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited March 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi @Sarah

Thank you again for the call today, appreciate your time, understanding of the difficulty users are having and your commitment to work with development to resolve.

I'm very hopeful that the information we discussed/shared will lead to forthcoming fixes in an expeditious manner.  If there is anything else I can provide, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks again!