Paid bills still show up in reminders

Comments

• miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

All,

I have reduced the number of issues I am having by doing the following:

1) Start a fresh file.  This is a big deal BTW and took me a weekend to get everything back.
    2) Did not linked reminders to online bills

This is an unsatisfactory fix, but may help reduce a lot of frustrations and more importantly missing or double paying bills. Both of which have happened to me over the last few month.

If you decide to start fresh I would suggest going to "Bills and Income" and in the upper right corner go to "Manage Manual Bills and Income" go to the "All Bills and Deposits" tab and in the upper right corner select "Print List"  this will help with the setup in the new file.  The list will contain most of the information needed to enter your reminders (Not the accounts).  Save this file to a pdf and print it out.  It is important.

I did link two bills to Online Bills and I had the issues of duplicate bills on one of the two I link so I unlinked the bill and it has been relatively smooth sailing.  

Rant time:  This at least gives me the comfort to know that I am not going to miss or double pay bills, but, I am still paying full price for a program that I am able to use 50% of the functionality that is most important to me.

EDIT:
    BTW,  I do not print checks or use quicken bill pay

Starting a new file will always work to fix problems but except for rare situation is NOT needed.

For Online Biller problems:

Remove ALL Online Billers
    Delete any reminder that was ever linked to an Online Biller
    Re-Create any Manual Reminder that was deleted
    Now you should have a perfectly fine working file clear of any Online Biller problems (There is a crash situation that requires a Backup be restored from before the crash)

Now, I would suggest to wait at least 1 more update but if you wanted, you can add an Online Biller and link to the reminder.

If any problems, you would need to delete all Online Billers again and then restore the backup
  • Rob WilliamsRob Williams Member
    edited July 2018

All,

1) Start a fresh file.  This is a big deal BTW and took me a weekend to get everything back.

This is an unsatisfactory fix, but may help reduce a lot of frustrations and more importantly missing or double paying bills. Both of which have happened to me over the last few month.

If you decide to start fresh I would suggest going to "Bills and Income" and in the upper right corner go to "Manage Manual Bills and Income" go to the "All Bills and Deposits" tab and in the upper right corner select "Print List"  this will help with the setup in the new file.  The list will contain most of the information needed to enter your reminders (Not the accounts).  Save this file to a pdf and print it out.  It is important.

I did link two bills to Online Bills and I had the issues of duplicate bills on one of the two I link so I unlinked the bill and it has been relatively smooth sailing.  

Rant time:  This at least gives me the comfort to know that I am not going to miss or double pay bills, but, I am still paying full price for a program that I am able to use 50% of the functionality that is most important to me.

EDIT:

I did not create a new file but I did unlink every online biller and then delete and recreate each bill reminder.  So far this seems to be the most stable solution for accuracy in due dates and projected balances.
  • john stegengajohn stegenga Member
    edited July 2018

All,

EDIT:

I don't have any linked billers. I don't use quicken online bill pay. Every one of my 'bills' is a reminder. At the time I pay, I'm deciding if I'm going to go to the credit card (for example) website and set it to pay via ACH, or, if I'm going to print a check.In 100% of circumstances when I select PRINT CHECK, the reminder does not go away, but instead duplicates itself - one shows 0.00 / Paid, the other shows the due amount (for the same, current date...) This does NOT go away after one step update.This is a HUGE problem. This did NOT exist in Q2015.(Ranting Redacted)
  • ericweinerericweiner Member
    edited July 2018

All,

EDIT:

That's interesting. Can you explain the ACH pay, cause to me that indicated you are using Billpay to pay from your checking account.
    edited July 2018

All,

EDIT:

No. I go to the bank website - like for example bank of america.com, and login there to my credit card account, and schedule the payment from that side - the CC then takes an ach withdrawl of the amount I enter from my bank account. Quicken is reminders and downloaded transaction data only.
  • LaunceLaunce Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This is still happening to me and I have update R10.11 (QW 2018).

Bills that are marked ignored or entered as paid reappear constantly as unpaid reminders.

Is there an estimated date for this to be fixed?
  • Leo A LovelyLeo A Lovely Member
    edited July 2018
    richard13 said:

Just got upgraded to R10.11 Build 27.0.10.11 and believe it or not, Quicken has made things worse!

Bills & Income > Bills which always puts duplicate entries after OSU but were dismissible by "Refresh Bill" + having to adjust dates back to next month.  Now they persist even after Refresh Bill!

The only way I could make them go away was to delete the online bill and create it!  What the heck is wrong with you people over at Quicken?

I could see if this was just some annoying little bug but you guys are messing with people's finances here!  I wouldn't be surprised if we just got tired of your lies about fixing this started a class action lawsuit against you!

The consumer has the loudest voice. Return or stop using their products. Send a letter to Eric Dunn, CEO. Use whatever forum you need to articulate your concern but complaining on this site is not productive. Quicken Tyra is just doing her job (consistent with the terms of the site, which you agreed to). I'm upset too. However, I've chosen the more productive route and volunteered my time to discuss with Quicken engineering, with the goal of resolving the product issues for all of us. I'm also considering moving to another product. Keep is classy! Good luck.
  • Rob WilliamsRob Williams Member
    edited July 2018
    richard13 said:

Just got upgraded to R10.11 Build 27.0.10.11 and believe it or not, Quicken has made things worse!

Bills & Income > Bills which always puts duplicate entries after OSU but were dismissible by "Refresh Bill" + having to adjust dates back to next month.  Now they persist even after Refresh Bill!

The only way I could make them go away was to delete the online bill and create it!  What the heck is wrong with you people over at Quicken?

I could see if this was just some annoying little bug but you guys are messing with people's finances here!  I wouldn't be surprised if we just got tired of your lies about fixing this started a class action lawsuit against you!

It's been done.  See the letter posted previously in this thread.  It appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
    edited July 2018
    Also noticed today that if you try and adjust a reminder to a new date and that date is a weekend or a holiday, Quicken will act like it made the change but it actually did not. No message is displayed.
    For those interested I am using 2018 / R5.3 / 27.1.5.20. The only issues I have are the one above and the reminder dates leaping forward and extra month once the One Step Update finishes.
    edited July 2018
    richard13 said:

Leo, you are not the first or only person who has worked with Quicken. Its the after call silence and the lack of follow-ups that trouble many here. Tell me, has any of the engineering staff said "I know exactly whats happening", or had the code open during you call? If not, you are engaged with the wrong people.

4+ months...no bug takes that long to correct.
  • BryanBryan Member
    edited July 2018

I am ready to change applications.  Any recommendations?

Quicken 2017 ;)
  • John SmithJohn Smith Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm having the same problem - not sure when it started, but the latest update/patch did not help.
    If I pay a bill / write a check from reminders a day or more earlier than the reminder date but using the reminder the reminder remains as a duplicate, even while the payment shows as paid right above it.  This is very annoying and requires that I hit the "ignore" on the reminder for it to then roll to the next reminder date.
    It never used to be that way.
  • MikeMike Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Premier 2018 R10.11.

Bill remains in Reminder after Enter to pay
  • Barry SchnellBarry Schnell Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Another 10 days have passed with no updates from Quicken on this issue.

Can someone from Quicken PLEASE provide us with an update?

Days Since Issue Posted: 148
    Days Quicken Rep Last Posted to this Issue: 47
    Days Since Last Official Post on this Issue:  55
    Quicken Releases Since Issue Posted: 8
    Number of Replies on this Issue: 139 (6th highest in community - up 2 spots from last report!)
    Number of Me Toos: 65
    Number of frustrated Users: Unknown
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited July 2018
    richard13 said:

Leo,

Do you think we have not all done that?  I have emailed Eric Dunn, The BBB, and posted on Facebook.  I have sent files, I have spoken directly with quicken representatives (Could have been the programmers, I don't know), and have attempted many of the work arounds.  I have been using Quicken since MS money discontinued.  And now that it is a paid subscriptions, it is the worse it has ever been.  Please also research the job description of Quicken Reps such as Tyra.  Do you see her doing any of the below?  She only deletes comments.  She only offered me, I think ONE, suggest to the issue at hand.  So as you mentioned, you complain anywhere you can.  This form should be tracked by Quicken and used as QI, key word, SHOULD.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-community-tips-and-tricks

"Official Rep - these are Quicken employees who are dedicated to
    moderating the community and answering questions; Official Reps can help
    you with Quicken, but they can also work with you if you've got an
    issue with your Quicken order or questions about managing your
    Quicken.com account.  The Official Reps will help guide you to support
    if they can't resolve your issue on the community, and they're available
    seven days a week--they'll always have the username "Quicken Name" such
    as "Quicken Kathryn"."
  • Alex LuceroAlex Lucero Member
    edited July 2018
    richard13 said:

Are you serious! This looks like nobody at quicken is even paying attention...
    Maybe they are not even using quicken so they are unaware....(I know sarcasm doesn't help but this is crazy)
    edited August 2018

Another 10 days have passed with no updates from Quicken on this issue.

Can someone from Quicken PLEASE provide us with an update?

Days Since Issue Posted: 148
    Days Quicken Rep Last Posted to this Issue: 47
    Days Since Last Official Post on this Issue:  55
    Quicken Releases Since Issue Posted: 8
    Number of Replies on this Issue: 139 (6th highest in community - up 2 spots from last report!)
    Number of Me Toos: 65
    Number of frustrated Users: Unknown

Number of frustrated Users: Un-countable

fixed that for you...
  • Robert ArmaniRobert Armani Member
    edited July 2018
    Try to manually change the date to next month, update the billings, and see if it still shows? I did that a couple of months ago, and it's been working fine ever since. I don't know what was the trigger behind it?!
  • ScotProfScotProf Member
    edited December 2018
    I haven't posted here for a while, because I thought that the problem had been resolved (at least for me). However, yesterday I opened Quicken, and was alerted that my Aug 1 mortgage payment was due. I looked in the reminders - yup, it was listed there. I was SURE that I had already paid it, and on checking my register, there it was, already paid. I had to go into the reminders popup and click "Ignore" (why did they change from "Skip"?)
    edited July 2018
    ScotProf said:

I haven't posted here for a while, because I thought that the problem had been resolved (at least for me). However, yesterday I opened Quicken, and was alerted that my Aug 1 mortgage payment was due. I looked in the reminders - yup, it was listed there. I was SURE that I had already paid it, and on checking my register, there it was, already paid. I had to go into the reminders popup and click "Ignore" (why did they change from "Skip"?)

Everyone keep in mind that you must look at the next payment dates after you do a one step update or print checks. Its is at this time that the dates move forward for any reminder you paid. In some cases moving 2 months ahead. It now takes me an hour to pay bills then restore the payment dates for the next month. This is a significant issue that needs to be fixed.
    edited July 2018
    ScotProf said:

A few releases back, I paid a monthly bill and, after OSU, the reminder jumped about 6 months ahead!

That said, for me the recent releases have been far better; hence my surprise (and decision to post) when the August iteration of my monthly mortgage payment suddenly re-appeared on my bill reminder.

I write "re-appeared" rather than "remained" because the past few months of problems have made me gun-shy about recurring payments. Consequently, after I schedule a payment and run the OSU, I ALWAYS check to ensure that (i) the payment has been entered in my register as "Sent" and (ii) the bill reminder has advanced to the new date. I scheduled the August mortgage payment sometime in early July and I am pretty certain that I did both of the above steps and saw that the reminder had jumped to September. So imagine my consternation to see it show up yesterday. I'll keep a close watch, now, not only for reminders that fail to advance, but also for reminders that advance, then later revert to an already-paid date.
    edited July 2018
    ScotProf said:

You have to check after OSU not before.
    edited July 2018
    ScotProf said:

What makes you think I checked BEFORE OSU ??  To quote my post....

"Consequently, after I schedule a payment and run the OSU, I ALWAYS check...."
  • GLKNYGLKNY Member
    edited July 2018
    ScotProf said:

That has happened to me also
  • MattMatt Member
    edited July 2018
    In trying to remain productive, I have tried to get to a most simplified setup possible. I have NO linked billers, NO account transfers, etc. Running the latest QWHBR R10.11, I can confirm that the root issue only occurs with reminders/payments that are updated in some way via OSU (Bill Pay, Print Chk, etc). [btw, I use US Bank billpay not Quicken] And for me it is a very consistent, reminder advances when entered then returns to the current due date after OSU.

I have 2 reminders where they just get entered into the register and I manually move money online, and those reminders function perfectly, advancing to the next month, etc, at least since R10.10.

With that said, I note that several posters have said that a new/clean file seems to solve most issues. I also recall early in this problem resolution journey, when the new releases came out we were instructed to unlink and delete all reminders then do a file validation, then install the new version, then re-add the reminders. Possibly this is similar to the benefits of a new/clean file without losing all the history and rebuilding the accounts, etc.

Has anyone tried doing the italic/underlined above during the recent releases that can report on whether it added benefit or not? [please avoid the discussion of "we should not need to do this"..]

Thanks,
    Matt
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

In trying to remain productive, I have tried to get to a most simplified setup possible. I have NO linked billers, NO account transfers, etc. Running the latest QWHBR R10.11, I can confirm that the root issue only occurs with reminders/payments that are updated in some way via OSU (Bill Pay, Print Chk, etc). [btw, I use US Bank billpay not Quicken] And for me it is a very consistent, reminder advances when entered then returns to the current due date after OSU.

I have 2 reminders where they just get entered into the register and I manually move money online, and those reminders function perfectly, advancing to the next month, etc, at least since R10.10.

With that said, I note that several posters have said that a new/clean file seems to solve most issues. I also recall early in this problem resolution journey, when the new releases came out we were instructed to unlink and delete all reminders then do a file validation, then install the new version, then re-add the reminders. Possibly this is similar to the benefits of a new/clean file without losing all the history and rebuilding the accounts, etc.

Has anyone tried doing the italic/underlined above during the recent releases that can report on whether it added benefit or not? [please avoid the discussion of "we should not need to do this"..]

Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks for this additional confirmation. Maybe Tyka can share this with developers to speed them along the path to a solution?
  • MattMatt Member
    edited September 2018
    POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!!
    All and @Quicken Official Rep,

In follow-up to my post above, I finally had a chance to sit down and do two things which I believe have resulted in fixing my issue with the reminders showing as due after being paid and after OSU. I have now tested it on 4 bills paid from reminders and they advanced 1 month to the next due date and stayed advance 1 month after OSU. [note I am on Windows QW Home, Biz, Rental 2018 R10.11 and do not use Linked Billers]

The two actions I took were:
    1) Reset my file (did not need to create a new one)
    2) Re-created my reminders via the relatively new interface

Details:
    1) Reset file
    • Deleted all reminders
    • Validated file
    • Downloaded and reinstalled Mondo Patch R10.11
    • Validated file again
    2) Re-created reminders via the relatively new interface (or at least to me it's somewhat new)
    • Previously I would create reminders by right clicking on them in the register and selecting "Add Reminder or sometimes I would use this interface that I would access via the "Manage Bills and Income" buttons:
    • This time I used this interface and clicking on the + sign: 
    • I don't know if it mattered but I also clicked the gear and checked the "Combine Bills, Incomes and Transfers" option which resulted in only one tab instead of 3, highlighted top left.
    Again, I have tested on the 4 bills that I needed to pay now and all functioned properly. I did them in 4 separate Enter and then OSU actions just to see if it was repeatable. I am not sure if the File Reset only would have been successful, but can say it looks like doing both was successful, for now.

Finally, @Quicken, I'm not sure if this piece should be a separate post or not, but I also confirmed that the two interface above do not function the same. Specifically as it relates to showing recommendation for other register entries that can be scheduled. Most of my register shows up as "Schedule These?" in the first interface above, but they do not show up in the second interface. As I click the NO in the Action column picture below

the entries in the "Schedule These?" go away from the first interface but then appear in the second interface. Then in the second interface, I click the "Delete this instance" pictured below

And it disappears from that interface also, but then next time I open Quicken it will reappear in the first interface asking to be scheduled.

I truly hope this helps others and it stays working properly.

Matt
  • Susan BraselSusan Brasel Member
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!!

In follow-up to my post above, I finally had a chance to sit down and do two things which I believe have resulted in fixing my issue with the reminders showing as due after being paid and after OSU. I have now tested it on 4 bills paid from reminders and they advanced 1 month to the next due date and stayed advance 1 month after OSU. [note I am on Windows QW Home, Biz, Rental 2018 R10.11 and do not use Linked Billers]

Details:
    1) Reset file

• Deleted all reminders
    • Validated file
    • Validated file again
    2) Re-created reminders via the relatively new interface (or at least to me it's somewhat new)
    • Previously I would create reminders by right clicking on them in the register and selecting "Add Reminder or sometimes I would use this interface that I would access via the "Manage Bills and Income" buttons:
    • I don't know if it mattered but I also clicked the gear and checked the "Combine Bills, Incomes and Transfers" option which resulted in only one tab instead of 3, highlighted top left.
    Again, I have tested on the 4 bills that I needed to pay now and all functioned properly. I did them in 4 separate Enter and then OSU actions just to see if it was repeatable. I am not sure if the File Reset only would have been successful, but can say it looks like doing both was successful, for now.

Finally, @Quicken, I'm not sure if this piece should be a separate post or not, but I also confirmed that the two interface above do not function the same. Specifically as it relates to showing recommendation for other register entries that can be scheduled. Most of my register shows up as "Schedule These?" in the first interface above, but they do not show up in the second interface. As I click the NO in the Action column picture below

the entries in the "Schedule These?" go away from the first interface but then appear in the second interface. Then in the second interface, I click the "Delete this instance" pictured below

And it disappears from that interface also, but then next time I open Quicken it will reappear in the first interface asking to be scheduled.

Matt
    I went in and Validated...Found the following errors on current and past owned securities. 6 securities I currently own, Russell 2000 index that is on my watch list, and 5 previously owned securities (from 2016 and 2017 that I had "hidden"  All of these had Prices dated in the future of 0.00 price on the date of 1/18/2038.  I did not put these dates in.  They had to come with an update.
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!!

Details:
    1) Reset file

• Deleted all reminders
    • Validated file
    • Validated file again

Matt
    this has nothing to do with the paid bills showing up in reminders, and those bogus/future/zero$ prices are occasionally downloaded when you update security prices not from Quicken product updates.
  • Susan BraselSusan Brasel Member
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!!

Details:
    1) Reset file

• Deleted all reminders
    • Validated file
    • Validated file again

Matt
    After the validation, I manually re-entered my reminders. Have yet to “enter” any of them to see if the problem is fixed. Will find out in a few days when I pay bills that are due on the 10th of the month. I do not do online updates for my statements for bills, but I do use Quicken to print the checks. So we will see. Sorry that I went off thread and upset the apple cart. But just one of the things I noticed when doing the validation mentioned in a couple of posts.