Paid bills still show up in reminders

Comments

• jas00jas00 Member
    edited August 2018
    Brent said:

This is still an issue for me running WIN R11.18. I'm not going to provide a ton of detail since the details have been beaten to death.  The summary is that I pay bills by opening the reminders window, clicking on a bill reminder, scheduling the payment, and sending that info to my bank through Quicken.  The bill reminders persist until I click "Ignore".

I wonder why file validation can't correct any problems that would require you to delete all you reminders and online bills.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Brent said:

This is still an issue for me running WIN R11.18. I'm not going to provide a ton of detail since the details have been beaten to death.  The summary is that I pay bills by opening the reminders window, clicking on a bill reminder, scheduling the payment, and sending that info to my bank through Quicken.  The bill reminders persist until I click "Ignore".

I wonder why file validation can't correct any problems that would require you to delete all you reminders and online bills.
    Most likely for the simple fact that it isn't programmed to do so.

For validate to find a problem and repair it there are few things you have to assume.
    1. The developers actually know what is causing the problem.
    2. The developers know of how to correct it.
    3. The developers take the time to write the code in validate and repair to do it.
    And validate/repair is a "bandage"/workaround/cover up for the actual problem.
    Yes it is possible for data to get corrupted because of things like hard disk failures and other such factors.  But is impossible that this many people experienced that kind of problem all at the same time.

So something in Quicken "corrupted the data".  So clearly the top priority should be to find that, and fix it.

Once done MAYBE they can consider putting in code to fix it in existing data files in either validate and repair or just in the normal flow of running.  But also note that depending on what is corrupted they may not be able to reconstruct the correct data.

Or they might consider the programming cost to be more than say telling the user to recreate their online bills and reminders.
  • john stegengajohn stegenga Member
    edited August 2018
    Brent said:

I dont want to "use the new interface" = I want it to work the same dang way it worked in 2015 version. Exactly. Don't break what works and call it NEW (hey, microsoft? Win10SUX)

I use reminders. No "ONLINE" integration with quicken other than to download my accounts. I do not pay bills through quicken.

When I use the STACK view, and I pay a bill - if I mark it as EFT (I'm going to the bank website to make the payment) all is good.
    If I print the check? The reminder haunts me.
  • Don EmoryDon Emory Member
    edited August 2018
    Scott said:

I can say that r11.18 mostly did not improve how my instance of Quicken deals with the issues I outlined on Page 5, when I met up with the Quicken development team.   Below are the r11.18 results (in bold)  to the issues we documented when working with manual bills.  I tested r11.18 with 2 bills this morning.

• Demonstrated R10.10 continues to have issues with bills and income feature.  Result: r11.18 continues to have issues...

• Demonstrated
      an issue when a bill is paid, the bill disappears from the stack view,
      but does not reappear when the "include paid" checkbox is marked.  Result:  Remains broken.  "include paid" checkbox still not displaying paid bills.  Tested with 2 bills this morning.

• Demonstrated an issue when a bill is paid, the bill does not disappear from the stack view, nor does it appear as "paid".  Again, the "include paid" checkbox does not function as expected.  Result:  Remains broken.   2 bills paid this morning now disappear from the stack view when paid, as expected, but "include paid" checkbox still not displaying paid bills. 1 bill related to my auto loan account, when paid, did not get removed from the stack view.  Bill history shows the status as "paid".  Again, Paid Bills check box not working.

• Demonstrated an issue when a bill is paid and a date set in the "enter expense transaction" dialog, the date set changes to a different date in
      both the register view and when doing an OSU. IMO, a high priority
      issue as this could cause overdrafts to the checking account, causing
      bank and vendor fees to the end user.  Result:  Appears to be fixed.

• Demonstrated an
      issue in "bill history" table where the date and amount of a bill does
      NOT match what was entered and sent.  Unknown as to where "bill history"
      is picking up this data. Result:  Remains broken.  View Bill History table shows status of the 2 paid bills incorrectly.  Status is shown as "ignored" when they were actually paid from Quicken.  The amount in the View History table is incorrect and reflects the estimated bill value and not what was actually paid.  Im speculating this issue and the "include paid" checkbox issue are related. See image 1.
    • Demonstrated an issue where selecting the Calendar view in the drop-down
      spawns the Calendar with no income or expense entries or navigation
      controls to allow switching back to other views (such as stack view).  Result:    Remains broken.   No controls in UI to allow a user to go back to Stack View.  Calendar populated only with balance figure.    User must deinstall and reinstall an earlier versions of Quicken AND revert to an earlier version of their data file to correct. Image 2.

• Lastly,  there was another issue where users experienced the next month bill reminder to disappear when current month's bill was paid.  Result:   I have not previously experienced this but I noted that my next months bills were properly displayed upon paying the two recent bills.
    So....All in all, still broken feature for me, using manual bills. I cannot comment on the issues with online bills as I have twice before tried online bills and both times failed to see, in its current implementation, any value. Dont have time to waste on a third attempt.

@Quicken,  Happy to get on a call again to discuss and demonstrate the issues..

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

Has anyone else received this “internal build” that Scott mentions above?
  • chiefgeek157chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bill and income reminders do not refresh.

Using Quicken for Windows R11.18 27.1.11.18 on Windows 10.

Here are steps to reliably reproduce the problem for an account with bills and reminders available.
    1. In an account register, click on the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    2. Select a reminder or any sort.
    3. Click Enter. Fill in the popup information and click Enter again.
    4. The entry is show in the register, but it is not removed from the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    The only way to get rid of it it to click on some other view and come back. For example, click on the Downloaded Transactions tab, then on the Bill and Income Reminders tab, or click on another account register, then back to the first one.

This is super annoying when I have dozens of bill and income reminders to deal with across multiple accounts.
  • edited September 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bill and income reminders do not refresh.

Using Quicken for Windows R11.18 27.1.11.18 on Windows 10.

Here are steps to reliably reproduce the problem for an account with bills and reminders available.

1. In an account register, click on the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    2. Select a reminder or any sort.
    3. Click Enter. Fill in the popup information and click Enter again.
    4. The entry is show in the register, but it is not removed from the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    The only way to get rid of it it to click on some other view and come back. For example, click on the Downloaded Transactions tab, then on the Bill and Income Reminders tab, or click on another account register, then back to the first one.

This is super annoying when I have dozens of bill and income reminders to deal with across multiple accounts.
    Did you try deleting all you bills and run a file validation. Seems to have fixed most peiples issues when combined with R11.18
  • Glyde HannahGlyde Hannah Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm a bit late to this topic, but I notice that most of the discussion on this topic is referencing R11.18. I'm running R11.20, but have had this same problem (Paid bills still show up in reminders) for some time. I can testify that R11.20 still hasn't fixed it. Changing views, or closing Quicken and restarting makes no difference. I have run validation on my file, but no errors found, and the problem remains. I have not tried deleting and re-entering all of my dozens of reminders, and don't feel that I should need to. Quicken developers broke it - Quicken developers should issue a fix.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I'm a bit late to this topic, but I notice that most of the discussion on this topic is referencing R11.18. I'm running R11.20, but have had this same problem (Paid bills still show up in reminders) for some time. I can testify that R11.20 still hasn't fixed it. Changing views, or closing Quicken and restarting makes no difference. I have run validation on my file, but no errors found, and the problem remains. I have not tried deleting and re-entering all of my dozens of reminders, and don't feel that I should need to. Quicken developers broke it - Quicken developers should issue a fix.

I can testify that R11.20 still hasn't fixed it.

I believe that is true, R11.19 and R11.20 looked to be targeting the crashes, nothing more.

Quicken developers broke it - Quicken developers should issue a fix.
    Nice thought, but it might not be possible.  If Quicken corrupted the data, it might be impossible to fix it.

Imagine if you wrote a number on a piece of paper and someone came by and erased it.  And then asked someone to restore the original number.

Of course it is possible that isn't the case and as such they might fix it.
  • FM WrightFM Wright Member
    edited September 2018
    Well, my system is up to R11.20. 
    No change. I make a payment, and the reminder comes right back marked as 'Due'.

Are they expecting us to pay up again when the subscription comes due and this is not fixed?
  • edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

Are they expecting us to pay up again when the subscription comes due and this is not fixed?

I am going to assume at this point everyone posting that it is not fixed refuses to Validate their file and delete their reminders and recreate new reminders.  

To those people I will offer these tips that I figured out to ease the pain and ensure you do not forget to add a bill:

1) Go to "Bills and Income" Tab >> "Manage Bills and Income" button in upper right corner >> in the new window go to "Print" and print out a list of all your reminders.  IT helps build the new ones and makes sure you do not forget a bill.  Since I learned this whenever I make changes to my bills I save a new PDF version of the printout on my PC.

2)Quicken is pretty good at finding the old transactions when you create the new ones if you use the same Payee name.  Just make sure you set the right frequency for every bill.  I made a checklist of fields for each bill because I am ADHD and easily distracted

I am turning off my notification of new replies to this thread.  The notification is the reason I keep replying with the same information.  Therefore, do not bother telling me that quicken should fix the issue.  I agree, they should, but they may not be able to. 
    The point for me is that I have created a lot less work for myself by investing time up front.  If you want to continue to deal with the pains the original issue as a matter of principle, that is on you I suggest reading the release notes and see if quicken claims repairing the issue before you waste everyone's time posting the issue is still not fixed.

In the end, I prefer to get hours of my life back and fight bigger battles. so I spent a few hours recreating my 25 reminders.  It was worth it for me.  

Good luck,

Dave G
  • KERRY MUNSONKERRY MUNSON Member
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

Well, I did this also, and it made no difference.  So it may not work for everyone.
  • Chuck GrantChuck Grant Member
    edited September 2018
    OK, Dave G, you talked me into it.  I've validated the file, removed all of my on-line reminders, and recreated them (pain in the AXX! but it's done).  Now I have to wait until my next bill comes due and we'll see if it's working again...
  • Rob WilliamsRob Williams Member
    edited September 2018
    So can someone clarify... Do I add the reminder and then link to the biller or vise versa?
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

FYI, I too deleted all online bill reminders and ran the validation tool, then added back my bill reminders one by one with Bill pay... still no difference! I recently was sent a new update and I updated to R11.18. :-(
  • ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

I can say that r11.18 mostly did not improve how my instance of Quicken deals with the issues I outlined on Page 5, when I met up with the Quicken development team.   Below are the r11.18 results (in bold)  to the issues we documented when working with manual bills.  I tested r11.18 with 2 bills this morning.

• Demonstrated R10.10 continues to have issues with bills and income feature.  Result: r11.18 continues to have issues...

• Demonstrated
      but does not reappear when the "include paid" checkbox is marked.  Result:  Remains broken.  "include paid" checkbox still not displaying paid bills.  Tested with 2 bills this morning.

• Demonstrated an issue when a bill is paid, the bill does not disappear from the stack view, nor does it appear as "paid".  Again, the "include paid" checkbox does not function as expected.  Result:  Remains broken.   2 bills paid this morning now disappear from the stack view when paid, as expected, but "include paid" checkbox still not displaying paid bills. 1 bill related to my auto loan account, when paid, did not get removed from the stack view.  Bill history shows the status as "paid".  Again, Paid Bills check box not working.

• Demonstrated an issue when a bill is paid and a date set in the "enter expense transaction" dialog, the date set changes to a different date in

• Demonstrated an
      is picking up this data. Result:  Remains broken.  View Bill History table shows status of the 2 paid bills incorrectly.  Status is shown as "ignored" when they were actually paid from Quicken.  The amount in the View History table is incorrect and reflects the estimated bill value and not what was actually paid.  Im speculating this issue and the "include paid" checkbox issue are related. See image 1.
      controls to allow switching back to other views (such as stack view).  Result:    Remains broken.   No controls in UI to allow a user to go back to Stack View.  Calendar populated only with balance figure.    User must deinstall and reinstall an earlier versions of Quicken AND revert to an earlier version of their data file to correct. Image 2.

• Lastly,  there was another issue where users experienced the next month bill reminder to disappear when current month's bill was paid.  Result:   I have not previously experienced this but I noted that my next months bills were properly displayed upon paying the two recent bills.
    So....All in all, still broken feature for me, using manual bills. I cannot comment on the issues with online bills as I have twice before tried online bills and both times failed to see, in its current implementation, any value. Dont have time to waste on a third attempt.

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

Another Update.....

This "internal build" and the fixes I described above that I received from the Quicken development team is now released as R12.15 for QW US version.   It was pushed to me as an update a day or two ago. 

I assume that Quicken is staging the release, so some of you may not have received it yet. You can read the release notes and install it here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows  Be sure to BACKUP your data file BEFORE taking the update.

For ALL the issues I described above, R12.15 has fixed them.   NOTE however, these fixes pertained to my manual bills and income issue.  YMMV.

Scott
    2018 QW HBR R12.15
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

All,

I just downloaded update R12.15 and it did not fix my bill reminder issue...I paid a manual bill reminder bill for 9/28/18 after the software update this afternoon.  When I went into bill reminder, the bill did roll over to the next month, with the correct date, (10/28/18), except in the Upcoming Status column, the bill reminder status was greyed out & not blue like the other reminders.  So when I clicked on this bill reminder it is still showing 9/28/18 date even though I have paid it using the bank transfer update.  So I am still confused!

Don
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

So I am still confused!
    I think the key here is that Scott said "manual bills and income issue"

And believe that your problem Don Emory involves the Online bills, which I don't believe they have yet to put in a fix for.  Or maybe they can't fix.

This might be under the subject that was suggested in some places.
    As in the Online Bill/reminder got corrupted by something (in the Quicken code) and even after it is fixed the code doesn't have anything than can undo that corruption.

So people might have to delete their Online Bills and reminders and recreate them for this start working for them again.

I have recreated mine and I haven't seen the problem in a while.
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

Chris thanks for your note....

I’ll try to clarify the bills in my discussion. My subject matter is bill reminders in Quicken 2018, R12.15 version. My bill reminders are manual only and they are not linked to the payee website. I have deleted all of the bill reminders, validated the file, back in R11.18 version, then re-entered each bill reminder again. It did not fix the problem with last update or latest update. Would I need to delete, validate, and re-create bill reminders again in version R12.15?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

Well then I misunderstood I thought your bills were connected to Online bills.  In that case I don't know why the fixes didn't work for you.
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

Deleting the online bills and recreating them doesn't make a difference.  The online bill payments still do not cycle to the next month.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Scott said:

• Demonstrated

• Demonstrated an

Scott
    2018 QW HBR r10.11

Image 1

Image 2

KERRY MUNSON good to know.  We will just have to wait for them to fix it.
    edited September 2018

OK, Dave G, you talked me into it.  I've validated the file, removed all of my on-line reminders, and recreated them (pain in the AXX! but it's done).  Now I have to wait until my next bill comes due and we'll see if it's working again...

I did validate the file and recreate all of my quicken billpay bills, but nothing has changed.  So I've resigned myself to waiting for an update.
    edited September 2018
    I have a question.

Are we still going to be expected to pay the upcoming ‘Annual Subscription Fee’ (due soon for me) with this still not working???
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

I have a question.

Are we still going to be expected to pay the upcoming ‘Annual Subscription Fee’ (due soon for me) with this still not working???

Hello FM,

Yes, the subscription is subject to renewal on the due date.

More details and other questions are found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Just checking but you recreated online Bills AND the manual linked reminder too?
    edited September 2018

Hmm.  Well I didn't actually recreate the on-line bill itself, just the reminders.  I'll try that with one one sample account and see if it fixes the issue.  Thanks.
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

I have a question.

So you are telling me that I have a product that does not work correctly and Quicken expects me to PAY for a defective product?

Who do I call about this?

I work for a software company and there is no way we would subject our clients to a product that was as buggy as this one has become.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

I have a question.

Hi FM,

You can reach Quicken Support at http://www.quicken.com/contact-support. Our phone support is available Monday thru Friday from 5am to 5pm Pacific Time.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited September 2018
    FM Wright said:

I have a question.

Also as a software vendor myself, with such a big issue as this, it should be escalated to the highest level, and I would expect Quicken to be providing updates DAILY as to the progress and status of getting this fixed. 

Quicken, will you please do this for the large community that is unhappy with the product performance and explain why it is taking so long to resolve (assuming it is being worked to resolution).
  • Gary JGary J Member
    edited September 2018

Hello Everyone,

We've received a small update from Development regarding these multiple Biller issues.  A solution has been found and is currently estimated to be available as part of the mid-April release.  Please note, this is an estimate and may be delayed if any additional errors or issues are found during the testing phase.

We appreciate your patience while this issue was being researched and thank you to all those who shared their data with us, it was instrumental in researching and creating a solution.

Thank you,

Sarah

I am having this problem also. 2018 Windows, latest (9/25/18) update. The paid bills reappear as unpaid after update. Have to be careful not to pay them again.