Paid bills still show up in reminders

Comments

• Max HugMax Hug Member
    edited May 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your responses and answers to my multiple questions.  With the information provided I've been able to identify multiple issues that when combined together is contributing to the larger problem of paid bills reappearing in the Bills tab.  I'm in the process of creating tickets for each of these issues but need to request your help once more.

For all those who are experiencing this issue, please go to the "Help" menu at the top of Quicken and select "Report a Problem" from the menu.  In the screen that opens, please mark all log files listed and include a sanitized copy of the data file.  In the subject line please reference: Attn: Sarah.  In the description please list the URL for this post. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paid-bills-still-show-up-in-reminders

image  image

The requested information will be included with the tickets I'm opening with Development for assistance with investigating the various issues for resolution.

Thank you,

Sarah

Ideally, this would work I suppose.  BUT...each time I attempt it, I get an error that says: "Unable to send report to Quicken.  Please try again."  I even tried the solution below and it still crashed.  Can you please send support my email as well?
  • Angie CAngie C Member
    edited May 2018
    Possible workaround???  I just upgraded a couple days ago from Quicken Deluxe 2015 to Quicken Premier 2018.  I am having the same problem with the bills that have been paid showing back up on the list.  I just did a One Step Update and of course, all (or some) of my paid bills have shown back up in the list as due.  I did try something that "seems" to have worked, for now, for me.  After the one-step update I went to the Bills & Income tab and used the Update Bills (update arrow) from within Bills & Income window and it corrected my bills due list and it is now showing correct and it did not duplicate anything in the corresponding registers.  Maybe this could work for a few of you too?
  • Susan BraselSusan Brasel Member
    edited September 2018
    New issue came up while paying bills.  I tried doing "Update Bills" like someone had mentioned trying and working, but then, I had things automatically scheduling themselves.  I paid my son by check for something last month, and it showed up as due on 5/20/18 as a new scheduled payment.  had Cash payment like atm show up as being scheduled on 5/7/18 and an insurance bill, which I deleted in January, showed back up as being due on 5/27/18, even though I deleted it. I still had to go in and mark everything I paid manually "mark as paid" to get it to reset to next month, and go away for this month.
  • Rob WilliamsRob Williams Member
    edited May 2018

New issue came up while paying bills.  I tried doing "Update Bills" like someone had mentioned trying and working, but then, I had things automatically scheduling themselves.  I paid my son by check for something last month, and it showed up as due on 5/20/18 as a new scheduled payment.  had Cash payment like atm show up as being scheduled on 5/7/18 and an insurance bill, which I deleted in January, showed back up as being due on 5/27/18, even though I deleted it. I still had to go in and mark everything I paid manually "mark as paid" to get it to reset to next month, and go away for this month.

There are so many bugs related to online bills I finally just removed them all.  All other solutions listed are just band aides or workarounds.  Not happy as that was a really nice feature.  I never had this issue with the 2017 version so what did they do to screw it up so bad?  Wish I could go back but 2017 just kept locking up every 2 or 3 times i would run it and then i'd be forced to restore a backup and re-enter my data.
  • BrianBrian Member
    edited May 2018
    Any update from Quicken?  While I am getting better at tracking via paper bills again, my payees are even starting to return my over payments from the last few months....  It would be nice to know when we can expect a stable version of the application....
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited December 2018
    any update from anyone from Quicken?
  • edited October 2018
    I know this will suck but can someone on the thread who is having billpay issues start a new quicken file and rebuild from there?

I think most of these issues stem from an upgraded file. I use billpay and so far no issues but i created a new quicken file.
  • Shawn AebyShawn Aeby Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I use the reminders in the Bills & Income tab in Quicken 2018, but don't actually pay bills through Quicken.  I've noticed the paid bills reappearing if I pay them by printing a check through Quicken, but if I list them as EFT, Debit or ATM withdrawal, it doesn't seem to happen.  Weird.
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited May 2018
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018

I am using Quicken for Windows 2018 version 8.8, build
    27.1.8.8, and the problem is that scheduled transactions "duplicate" in
    the register after I have already entered the reminder and paid the bill.  To say that differently, I enter a reminder,
    adjust the date and amount as needed, and transmit that to the bank only to
    return to Quicken and see the same reminder duplicated again in the register and
    awaiting to be entered again. 

I do not normally use the Bills & Income tab but do see where the duplicate reminder shows
    up there as well as in the register.  I
    have also now observed that diddling with the Bills & Income tab will (sometimes)
    remove the duplicate from the register, but it still shows up in the B&I
    tab.  If I go to the regular Bill &
    Income reminders dialog the duplicate reminder shows up there until I diddle
    with the B&I tab, at which point the duplicate disappears from the B&I
    dialog but remains in the B&I tab.  I
    have also both crash Quicken crash and freeze images on the screen after
    opening the B&I tab, that area seems extremely unstable, and it duplicates
    functionality already available both in the register and in the B&I dialog. 

I have rebuilt the file and it does not show any
    errors.  Quicken has collected log files
    for this issue as well,  but have not
    contacted me with any new information in now 6-8 weeks. 

The duplication occurs on most if not all scheduled transactions,
    showing up sometimes in the same session ( i.e. if I have left and then return
    to the checking account in the same session to find the duplicate scheduled
    reminder).  At other times the duplicate reminder
    shows up when opening Quicken the next day, which is what occurred this morning. 

The actual/entered reminder and the ghost duplicate reminder
    appear to be linked in some way, at times I can delete or skip or void the
    duplicate and it has also deletes or voids the transaction already transmitted
    to the bank.  This issue has caused me to
    double pay, and has caused me to miss a payment as I have attempted to skip/delete/void
    the duplicate transaction reminder which then cancelled the actual transaction
    already sent to the bank.  I must
    manually keep track of what is paid and when it was paid now for several months. 

Many weeks ago you advised a solution would be released in
    mid-April and it is now mid-May.  Please
    advise.
  • edited May 2018

I know this will suck but can someone on the thread who is having billpay issues start a new quicken file and rebuild from there?

I think most of these issues stem from an upgraded file. I use billpay and so far no issues but i created a new quicken file.

Is the new file you created from scratch, no historical data?
  • ericweinerericweiner Member
    edited May 2018

Yes, I just started over. Added all of my accounts.
  • john stegengajohn stegenga Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 2018 Stack view a MESS!.

Stack view in R8.8 / Build 27.1.8.8 for windows is SCREWED
    When i pay a bill - exactly as I did in Quicken 2015 - it makes a copy? sometimes with a zero amount, others as an exact dupllicate. Makes it very very difficult to remember what I've paid and not paid, and these shadow reminders remain and show up as "overdue" too, until i "skip" them. So frustrating! Have the developers look at how Quicken 2015 worked, and FIX THIS! I don't see how to put a picture into this stupid forum, or I'd post one...
  • john stegengajohn stegenga Member
    edited May 2018
    To answer some of the questions asked by a quicken person earlier in this thread -
    I do not link to a biller, nor will I ever. I get paper bills. I'd never use Quicken bill pay - this program has been so buggy with random stuff for the past 7 years I've used it, and this is just another example - they change something 'for the sake of change' and stuff breaks horribly.

I imported my file from Q2015. I work the exact same flow - I print most checks from quicken, but those are always getting duplicated. If I use EFT as the payment method, they only get duplicated maybe half the time...
  • richard13richard13 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I considered exactly this several months ago.  I set up a new file and started adding my accounts back in.  I found that this did resolve some of the bill pay issues but in creating a new file I would lose all of my historical data.  Obviously just in the new file, as I can access my old file if I wanted.  But it's more than just that.  Without historical data all of the planners and reports will be skewed.

Ultimately I abandoned this effort and tried to fix a specific checking account I thought was the culprit.  After much work and gnashing of teeth I stuck with my old file.  I completely deleted all of my reminders and bills and slowly started adding things back.  It seemed to be ok for a while but shortly thereafter the bugs started showing up again.

So yea, this may be the right way to go about it if you can't or don't want to wait for a fix.  I'll give Quicken a little more time because I'd rather not have to go to this extreme unless necessary.
  • edited May 2018

I think the typical user does not need years of data in the main active file.
  • GLKNYGLKNY Member
    edited May 2018
    Chris said:

It's taking longer than they said, but I'm willing to wait if they get this right.  Just wish they would be more communicable about where they are on this.
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018

really
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018
    Larry said:

the register after I have already entered the reminder and paid the bill.  To say that differently, I enter a reminder,
    return to Quicken and see the same reminder duplicated again in the register and

I do not normally use the Bills & Income tab but do see where the duplicate reminder shows
    have also now observed that diddling with the Bills & Income tab will (sometimes)

shows up when opening Quicken the next day, which is what occurred this morning. 

double pay, and has caused me to miss a payment as I have attempted to skip/delete/void
    manually keep track of what is paid and when it was paid now for several months. 

advise.
    Hello?
  • jas00jas00 Member
    edited May 2018
    Not sure if this is the same problem, but I paid my credit card bill on time two days ago, and after running OSU I have a new credit card payment due today for an amount that makes no sense.  The credit card payment is always due on the 15th of the month, never on the 17th like the stack view shows.  I'm using 2018 v 27.1.8.8.  Not sure if I should just ignore this bogus bill or wait until my new credit card statement is ready to see if Quicken recognizes the new payment date & amount.
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018
    Larry said:

advise.
    Quicken Sarah, please provide an update!  Working around this bug for the 3rd or 4th month in a row, and this time paid the wrong AmEx bill.  After another 1/2 hour of my time they did move it and credit late charges.  If you need more example files where the software fails, please advise!
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018
    jas00 said:

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I paid my credit card bill on time two days ago, and after running OSU I have a new credit card payment due today for an amount that makes no sense.  The credit card payment is always due on the 15th of the month, never on the 17th like the stack view shows.  I'm using 2018 v 27.1.8.8.  Not sure if I should just ignore this bogus bill or wait until my new credit card statement is ready to see if Quicken recognizes the new payment date & amount.

same problem IMHO.  Shouldn't take 3+ months to correct a bug that Development introduced, and it is sad that Quicken has gone silent. 
  • jas00jas00 Member
    edited May 2018
    jas00 said:

Quick update on further activity.  I had to run OSU again to get my investment prices updated.  During the update, I hear an alert that a transaction is being entered.  After the operation completes, I check the stack view and the credit card bill is gone.  I check my credit card register and checking account register and find a new transaction for the bogus amount.  The odd thing is that the transaction is not dated today, it's dated 6/15/2019, over a years from now.  When I check my reminders, I find the next occurrence for this credit card is dated 7/15/2019.  Last thing that may be helpful is that I looked at previous credit card payments, and found that the bogus amount is actually the amount I paid on 1/15/2018.

Hope this helps.
  • MykScotMykScot Member
    edited May 2018
    Lovely... the 8.10 Update came out today (5/18) and this issue is STILL NOT FIXED! 
  • jas00jas00 Member
    edited May 2018
    jas00 said:

New statement is available for my credit card, so I refreshed the bogus bill in the stack view.  Quicken correctly found the new due date & amount.

So the symptoms I've described in this post appear to be occurring during the billing transition period between when the bill is paid and the new statement is available.  In my case, that's three days:  bill paid on 15th, new statement on 18th.
  • GLKNYGLKNY Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Paid bills still showing up in reminders.

Just an observation related to the paid bills still showing up in reminders.  In my B & I tab/online bills the correct amount due was viewed for my Capital One credit card before I did a OSU.  The credit card wasn't due yet.  I did an OSU (One step update) for everything by clicking on the blue circle in the upper left under "Tools", and then the credit card bill in B & I had changed the amount due to the exact amount that was paid in February. Thinking this is crazy, (the bug they are trying to fix for months), I did an "Update All" bills withing the B & I tab by clicking on the blue circle in the B&I tab, now the projected payment in online bills went back to being correct.  Using Quicken Deluxe 2018, R8.8 with Windows 10
  • edited May 2018
    If it is of any help for Quicken Support or other users:  I have had the same problem with old recurring items showing up in my checking register and / or on the Bills & Income tab.  I tried several of the workarounds suggested, but they kept coming back after a One Step Update with due dates out int0 2020.  Fortunately, I only had two.  In one case, it was a payee I no longer use (had no reminders, etc.), and one was an annual payment.  I went on to the Bills & Income tab and realized they were still linked to a valid vendor account.  I "unlinked" them and performed a one step update, and they no longer appear anywhere.  I realize this won't work if they are active payees, but possibly unlinking and then relinking will clean up the bogus reminders.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

If it is of any help for Quicken Support or other users:  I have had the same problem with old recurring items showing up in my checking register and / or on the Bills & Income tab.  I tried several of the workarounds suggested, but they kept coming back after a One Step Update with due dates out int0 2020.  Fortunately, I only had two.  In one case, it was a payee I no longer use (had no reminders, etc.), and one was an annual payment.  I went on to the Bills & Income tab and realized they were still linked to a valid vendor account.  I "unlinked" them and performed a one step update, and they no longer appear anywhere.  I realize this won't work if they are active payees, but possibly unlinking and then relinking will clean up the bogus reminders.

Don,t even bother relinking until a fix is out. The entire linked reminder is broken in several areas. I would suggest unlinking all , delete online biller, and recreate any previously linked reminders as I have seen corruption in them too. Hopefully, the next update will finally address this!! We will see.
  • Alex LuceroAlex Lucero Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled after printing checks the reminder still shows them as due...this is a recent dev....

The bill reminder does not clear when I print the checks, it still shows them as due.
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited May 2018
    Larry said:

advise.
    bump yet again