Report Page Scaling [edited]

Paul Dylewski
Paul Dylewski Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Reports (Windows)
Quicken, please explain why you don't allow page scaling for reports... seriously?? (printing to a .pdf adds extra steps to a basic funtion)
Tagged:

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I believe page scaling is a function of the printer. If the scaling feature is not available for the printer you have chosen to print to, Quicken would be unable to scale the print out.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I have the same problem.  The scaling feature is grayed out, regardless of the printer I select and all of my printers are capable of scaling.  Also, the printout both on-screen and on-paper is in the upper right 1/4 of the page and unreadable.  Does anyone else have this problem?  This problem started with Q-2018, I never had it in all previous versions.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    w0907a said:

I have the same problem.  The scaling feature is grayed out, regardless of the printer I select and all of my printers are capable of scaling.  Also, the printout both on-screen and on-paper is in the upper right 1/4 of the page and unreadable.  Does anyone else have this problem?  This problem started with Q-2018, I never had it in all previous versions.

Hello w09087a, appreciate your question.

Can you provide us with a screen shot of the issue?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    w0907a said:

Hello Harold,
    Following this I have posted a screenshot.  Also note that this same problem was posted in 2017-2018 under a different thread, the solution remained print to PDF then print from PDF.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Verify that your printer's System Properties are set to 8.5*11 standard paper and NOT Auto-detect paper or photo-print or something similar.

I remember some old posts that attributed the little page preview to a screen rendering issue, but if you say that it also prints on paper at reduced size I'm more leaning towards a printer setup issue.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Page scaling works with all my other programs, just not with Quicken.  It's all greyed-out, so you don't have the option of "fit to one page wide" even in legal size.  This has been an issue for years.  Please help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    w0907a said:

Was this problem ever resolved?  I have had this problem for a long time now and it doesn't appear that Quicken is working on a solution.  Please advise. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    w0907a said:

Mine will not even work with the PDF 2 step workaround.  I was on the phone with a support technician for 30 minutes.  He acknowledged the issue.  Had me validate my database (makes no sense as to what this has to do with the print option in Quicken).  I did as he suggested, still have the same problem.  We got cut off on the phone.  he never called back.  Does Quiken care about this issue at all?  I've been a loyal customer since 1992.  
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    w0907a said:

Hello Ed.

We humbly apologize for not getting back in touch with you. After reviewing the case notes of this call, there was a note saying that the call was disconnected. We do want to ensure that our customers are taken care of with their needs.. 

Looking at the screen shot from w0907a, this is being sent to a Network printer which is not locally connected to the computer, therefore it scales down because of the issues with the network printer and the drivers associated that might not be properly installed. 

We would like to work with you and w0907a with this issue further, so please give us a call back at Quicken Support and request a screen share.  We would like to look into this issue further and work with you towards resolution.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have the same problem, for both PDF and physical printing, on a brand new Windows 10 install. I have never had this problem before (and have used Quicken for 20 years). It does not matter whether I'm printing to 'Microsoft Print to PDF" or printing to my networked "HP Officejet Pro 8620", the scale option is greyed out ... strongly suggesting this is NOT a printer setup issue.

Update: I run 64 bit Windows 10 and apparently the Quicken installer has issues installing the Quicken PDF printer on 64 bits (versus the Microsoft PDF printer I was trying to use). Following the installation instructions at the link below solved my PDF printing & scaling problem (although the HP 8620 problem remains):

https://www.quicken.com/support/not-able-print-pdf-windows-64-bit-systems
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for taking the time to send this out.  I went through the whole procedure, but with no luck!  The only part of it I was unable to do was #15 as mine showed Amyuni Document Converter 400 instead of 300.  Don't know if that made a difference?  Everything else was easy to find and make your recommended adjustments.  Still can't access "fit to one page" when trying to print on Quicken.  Thanks for Trying
    Davis Cooke
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This is a ridiculous issue that's been present since I've been using Quicken 10 years ago.  I constantly have to print to a PDF, save it somewhere, open it, scale it, print, then go delete that PDF just to get reports to print on a single page.  This is never a problem with literally any other program I use on my various computers, any printer I've had, any operating system....just Quicken.  A simple thing they could fix at any time, but given it's been a decade, it seems they're not interested.
  • cquinn
    cquinn Member
    I set the font a 9 points and emailed the report in PDF form to myself and it looks like it does on the screen. NOTHING ELSE WORKS! But I can live with this even though it is beyond stupid.
  • njbikerman
    njbikerman Member
    Never had an issue with this before until I got this version of Quicken. Is there a fix for this yet? Doesn't matter what printer or pdf program I use, wether network or connected to the computer. It shrinks the print to an unreadable size in the upper left hand corner in the print preview, and prints it the same way.
  • Billjack
    Billjack Member
    edited April 2019
    I Think page scaling is a function of the printer. If the scaling feature is not available for the printer you have chosen to print to, Quicken would not be able to scale the print out.Verify that your printer's System Properties are set to 8.5*11 standard paper and NOT Auto-detect paper or photo-print or something similar.
  • sjstiles836
    sjstiles836 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It appears to be a combination of computers with 4K monitors (Quicken is incapable at this time to handle this even with compatibility modes) and their subscription model.  I had no problem using any prior quicken using scaling.  I have been on quicken since almost inception.   I bought the latest Dell XPS 13" 4K laptop with super graphics card and i7 chip and Quicken is not up to date on that.   On my old laptop with 1080 the scaling option is there.  All my laptops can do scaled printing on my Canon Pixma 922.   This is maddening as my totals for my tax report are on the next page and all the info with dates are on the first page.  My whole purpose of using Quicken is to generate reports for taxes.  This is not working for me.  [rant redacted]
  • sjstiles836
    sjstiles836 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Folks here is a quick and dirty solution.  Take a screen shot like snag it and paste it into Word; Microsoft does know how to do scaled report printing, even though Quicken has blocked us. Would be curious to know if all of you who have this problem have a 4K monitor or laptop.  To help the programmers, if they are bothering to read this, please list your equipment type.  I believe this has to do with monitor resolution.  It has nothing to do with your printer or pc, unless you're running some old 10 year equipment.  In fact my 8 year old i7 HP 1080 laptop handles this in scaled mode on Quicken 2016 just perfect. Is not your equipment, they have not brought the code up to standard as all are moving to 2K and 4K monitors and resolutions.  That's why display is so off. 
  • sjstiles836
    sjstiles836 Member ✭✭
    Here is another work around I just found.  So you know what I am working with. I have a 2018 Dell XPS 13" 4K and a Canon Pixma 922.  Yes you cannot adjust scaling in Quicken. They gray it out.  However I just found this.... I hate to put this because they will gray it out, but if you click on Advanced printer settings, I was able to get to Canon's scaled settings and I was able to go down to 80%, along with scrunching the column widths down to bare minimums (thanks quicken for this crapping problem) and was able to print. Unfortunately Quicken is now forcing 1/2" margins so you can't take it down to .33 or .25 like all other programs allow. Again very old school coding. One would think with them making more money under the subscription model they would hire folks that can fix this.  Also I am running my Quicken under the display settings of high DPI set to let the application chose resolution.   That is the only setting in Quicken that allows you to not have micro sized reports printing out at 2 inches by 2 inches. Good luck everyone. 
  • dmack1987
    dmack1987 Unconfirmed, Member
    Quicken are you going to fix this issue or what?  This has nothing to do with our printers.  It has something to do with the 4K monitors.  I never had this issue before getting a higher resolution monitor.  I have the same issue now with all my Quickbooks programs, and you are all made by Intuit.  I had to pay  lot of money to a computer tech to find a workaround so I could even SEE the screen print of my programs because it was so tiny.  Now I am having problems with Quicken printing my reports tiny since I upgraded to 2018.  I refuse to pay more money to get this fixed when Quicken is the one that should be fixing it.  You should be ashamed of yourselves for not caring about your customers.  This was reported a LONG time ago.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    To expand and clarify some of the posts above, page scaling is a function of both the printer driver and the application software.

Scaling in the printer driver affects the size of what is printed on each page but does not affect the pagination, because the application determines what to print on each page. 

Scaling in the application can also affect the pagination. Thus "Fit to X pages wide by Y pages tall" can only be done in the application. This is what lets you print a report that would otherwise be 2 pages wide and 5 pages tall and shrink it a little so it is 1 page wide and 4 pages tall. I think this is what most posters here would like to see working (again?)

In QWin Subscription R19.44 it appears that in the report printing dialog the Page scaling options are grayed out unless you select "Quicken PDF printer" as the printer to use.  These options were reportedly available for physical printers in earlier versions of Quicken.

Further confusing this issue is that as discussed here,
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855165/report-print-preview-is-smaller-than-actual-print#latest
    the print preview may be much smaller than it should be, so it is hard to tell what the printout will look like.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.