Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Display/UI (Windows)

Budget Category Window Cut Off [edited]

UnknownUnknown Member
edited October 2019 in Display/UI (Windows)
In the Customize Current Budget window the categories, I have a lot, run out of the window to where I can't read them.  

Is there any way to expand the window?  Q2014 won't allow me to grab and drag to make the window larger.  
3 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    If the following doesn't help ... Sorry, you're on an old, unsupported Quicken version ... :-(

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

Please do this:
    Close Quicken

Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:

In the Windows Start
    Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This
    brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken
    shortcut line item.

or

Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.

Now click
    Properties.

Select the
    Compatibilities tab.

Uncheck all
    settings.

Windows 7, 8.1:
    Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 

Windows 10:  Check "Override high
    DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select
    "Application"

Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older
    Windows version]" setting.

Click the "Change settings for all users" button.

Click Apply and exit.

Start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional
    tuning suggestions:

Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size:
    in Edit / Preferences / Register click the Fonts button and try different
    fonts.

Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: in Edit / Preferences /
    Register choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or
    Standard

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for your answer, but it did not correct the problem.  

I've attached a photo of the problem.  As you can see how the categories are moving to the right of the window and will eventually run completely off the window.  My categories have up-to 11 "levels" if that makes sense.  image
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Thanks for providing an image. That really helps explain the situation.

You said: "My categories have up-to 11 "levels" ..."

And that seems to be the crux of the matter.
    You're the first person that I have seen in many years of hanging out at the Quicken Community with nesting levels this deep in the budget. Two or three subcategory levels are more than enough for me and probably the majority of the users.

The programmers appear to not have considered the possibility that someone would need 11 - deep or deeper subcategory - nesting and have not provided for a horizontal scroll bar in the window (or a larger window for that matter).

There's probably nothing that can be done right away, but let me see if I can reach someone at Quicken to pass word to the programmers, for consideration as enhancement in a future version of Quicken.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Thank you.  
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    UKR said:

Thanks for providing an image. That really helps explain the situation.

You said: "My categories have up-to 11 "levels" ..."

And that seems to be the crux of the matter.
    You're the first person that I have seen in many years of hanging out at the Quicken Community with nesting levels this deep in the budget. Two or three subcategory levels are more than enough for me and probably the majority of the users.

The programmers appear to not have considered the possibility that someone would need 11 - deep or deeper subcategory - nesting and have not provided for a horizontal scroll bar in the window (or a larger window for that matter).

There's probably nothing that can be done right away, but let me see if I can reach someone at Quicken to pass word to the programmers, for consideration as enhancement in a future version of Quicken.

@John Giantonio
    up-to 11 "levels"
    I can't imagine. 
    a)  That there is really a need for that many levels, and
    b)  that there isn't a better way. 

Not that you are asking for a better way, but would you care to share some more of your category setup?  I'm not saying you don't need that depth, I just can't imagine it.  The deepest I go is three:  Taxes:Federal:Withholding, Taxes:State:Estimated, etc.  
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    Hi John,

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to the Community regarding the display and the sub-category levels being cut off and apologize that it is occurring for you.  Since Quicken 2014 is no longer supported, I tested the newest release of Quicken for 2018 and confirmed that after the 8th nested level of sub-categories, the display is still cut off with no ability to scroll or resize the window. 

Since the functionality in 2014 is mirrored in the newest release,  I think it would be a great addition for a future version of Quicken and have changed your post from a question to an "Idea" instead.  The Idea threads are reviewed directly by the Development teams, for future improvements and new features.  Ideas are prioritized by User vote, the more votes an idea receives, the higher it is prioritized and likely to be implemented.

I hope this information helps, but please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • JeanneJeanne Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Please let me re-size this dialog box. Others can be re-sized but not this one. I've got dozens of sub-categories I cannot see and hovering over each is not working well. I'm slowly and very laboriously trying to reorganize them--making them fit into this extremely limiting window. But being able to resize the window seems like a reasonable request.
  • Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As old as this Idea is, it still is a valid concern. Screens have gotten bigger over the years, yet this Customize Report dialog is still fixed size and does not adapt to the needs of the customer.
    We need a bigger dialog window, with more space to show complete account or payee names and a bigger window for nested subcategories.
    If the design of Quicken allows the use of up to 16 nested subcategory levels, the dialog should allow more space and/or sideways scrolling to show the complete text, even at level 16.
    Please pass word to the programmers to improve the Customize Report dialog.