Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Edit Single Instance of Scheduled Transaction

Unknown
Unknown Member
There is a feature in Quicken for Windows that I cannot find in Quicken for Mac.  You have 3 options for scheduled transactions in Quicken for Mac, "Mark as Paid", "Skip this Instance", "Edit this and all future transactions".   In Quicken for Windows, you can "Edit this Instance" or "Edit this instance and all future instances"

I am searching for the feature that is equivalent to "Edit this Instance" within Quicken Mac.  Seems on the Mac side, any change to a scheduled transaction changes all scheduled transactions.   Bills often change each month and I would like to be able to change one instance without changing the entire series of transactions.  

Anyone know how this can be done on the Mac?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    You have to mark them as paid; that's the only option. Personally, if I need to remember that it's not actually paid yet, I leave them as un-reviewed (orange pencil icon still showing). Or you could put a not in the memo. Or you could make something up for Action column to indicate such. I understand these are workarounds and may not suit everyone.

You can record your vote for the feature you are seeking here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-edit-first-transaction-in-bill-re...

Make sure to click the VOTE button in the upper right for your vote to count.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Seems like this would be a pretty standard function, not requiring a work around.

I did try to right click the scheduled transaction and select "Edit".  That seemed to allow me to change just that one transaction without effecting the others.  Does that work for you as well?  That might be another workaround.
  • RickO
    edited January 2020

Seems like this would be a pretty standard function, not requiring a work around.

I did try to right click the scheduled transaction and select "Edit".  That seemed to allow me to change just that one transaction without effecting the others.  Does that work for you as well?  That might be another workaround.

No, when you right click and Edit the future unpaid transaction, you are doing the same as "Edit this and all future transactions". The next occurrence will take on whatever changes you made. However, if you first Mark as Paid, then you can change the one occurrence without affecting the future ones.

Personally, I just mark them as paid and make changes when I know the temporarily changed amount. This doesn't affect the future transaction stream. But I can see where you might not like this if you are trying to remember to manually pay a future transaction. For me, my transactions are either paid manually by me right then, or are direct debit or credit card autopay, so I don't really run into this situation.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2020

@Rick, have you had any luck with the bill & Income feature supposedly entering the downloaded transaction dollars? has not worked for me but was wondering if you have figured anything out on this issue
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I have pretty much given up on scheduled transactions.  Instead I duplicate the last transaction to this payee and then modify the date and amounts.
  • RickO
    edited January 2020

Okay, that's pretty off-topic. But no, I have too much else to do to spend time on it considering it would be of marginal benefit if it ever worked correctly.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2020

Got it , totally agree
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

You have to mark them as paid; that's the only option. Personally, if I need to remember that it's not actually paid yet, I leave them as un-reviewed (orange pencil icon still showing). Or you could put a not in the memo. Or you could make something up for Action column to indicate such. I understand these are workarounds and may not suit everyone.

You can record your vote for the feature you are seeking here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-edit-first-transaction-in-bill-re...

Make sure to click the VOTE button in the upper right for your vote to count.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I tried the right click / edit option on one of my transactions.   It changed the current one, but I could see the next month one was still left alone.   Maybe it was a fluke, I need to try it again when I have more that pop up to be entered.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Right click /edit changed them all when I tried. After entering the edit, I clicked on the Home tab(?), changed the Bills and Reminders to 90 days, and saw that all the future scheduled had been changed to the amount that I had just entered. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I am not attempting to rant, but simply ask a question/observation. 
    This sure seems like it would have been a basic procedure in Quicken.  Evidently, it is in the Windows version, so what is going on with the Mac programmers or whomever makes the calls on what Quicken for Mac does?
  • robjcaldera
    robjcaldera Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    With all the updates that Quicken has been making I still can't believe this hasn't been done yet. I first posted about this issue three years ago. This was a standard feature on the Windows version going back to at least 2011. There shouldn't be a workaround required for something so simple.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bottom line is that there is a LOT on the To Do list, so they have to prioritize. And as much as this is a nice to have (and I wouldn't mind having it), there are MANY more BIG features that need work. I wish progress was faster. Unfortunately, it is not. 

Don't believe me? Just take a look at this:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On.
    It only covers about 70% of the items being requested. 

All I can suggest is that you make sure you add your VOTE at the link as mentioned above:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/edit-single-instance-of-scheduled-transaction?to...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• robjcaldera
    robjcaldera Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Still can't believe this hasn't been added yet. It's almost 2019 and this feature has been available in the Windows version and other financial software many years ago. It's not a nice-to-have feature either. This is pretty much essential for properly managing finances. The workaround can lead to errors.  
  • Jim Richar
    Jim Richar Member ✭✭
    It’s now January 2020 and this simple feature still does not work for Quicken for Mac. So frustrated in the differences between the Mac and Windows version. Quicken is the primary application I use on my computer and did not expect this when I switched from a Windows PC.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2020
    They made a change last year, so what's written above in most of this thread is no longer current. If you just double-click on a scheduled transaction, you can now edit the amount, which affects just that particular instance of the scheduled transaction without affecting others.

That was the functionality most users were asking for. However, in the current implementation, you can't edit the Memo or Category of a single future scheduled transaction.

If you need to change the Memo or Category for the next instance of a scheduled transaction, but don't want the future instances changed, you need to mark the transaction as paid, and then you can edit it however you want. If the date is in the future, it will remain in the future, so this suits many people.

However, if you have a workflow that will be tripped up by this being paid (solid black) instead of scheduled (gray) in your register, you can work around this limitation with a few extra clicks:
    • mark the transaction paid
    • edit it as needed
    • turn it back into a scheduled transaction (click Schedule > Schedule Selected Transaction in the bottom menu bar), setting the frequency to Once and the date to the future date you want it scheduled for
    • Now you'll have a paid transaction and scheduled transaction on the same day; delete the paid one, leaving just the scheduled one
    (Please don't flame me that this workaround requires too many clicks! When they redesigned the interface to allow you to edit a single instance of a scheduled transaction, I don't know why they made the amount editable but not the Memo or Category. As I wrote above, for most people in most instances, simply marking it as paid is acceptable, but if it's not, I've simply offered a way to work around it.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.