What purpose is served by Quicken forcing me to login with the Quicken ID???

What purpose is served by Quicken forcing me to login??? I am updated already with the latest patches, etc, so why is this happening.? I am busy and want to update my books, not hunt up passwords I forgot long ago. Ver R6.12 Build  27.1.6.12

Comments

• lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    that is  one of the many things that is buggy. 1 out of 10 times I have to enter my Quicken ID/password to even use Quicken on my laptop. 
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Brian,

I understand how this can be frustrating, the Quicken ID is required for several reasons.

Signing in with the Quicken ID registers the file so you are able to use connected services.

The Quicken ID is required and listed in the system requirements https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-system-requirements.

The Quicken ID is also required for security purposes as Quicken contains sensitive banking information and transaction history.

I have also included an FAQ regarding the Quicken ID https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-id-frequently-asked-questions.

Hope this answers your question.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • JOCAJOCA Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the same problem! It is unbelievable! Neither the FORT KNOX should be so exigent! I com from 29 December 2017 giving IDs and until now I am not received the Activation Code. I am sent to here and to there, do this do that, but nothing. My AC (Activation Code) doesn't arrive. Is frustrating once I pay and they transfere to me the APLICATION, I pay by Credit Card and the invoice and the indispensable AC Where is it? But anybody say «Buy Quicken» for What? To succeed the same and walk into a vicious circle? What can this FORUM do? - Thanks, Joca.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    JOCA said:

I have the same problem! It is unbelievable! Neither the FORT KNOX should be so exigent! I com from 29 December 2017 giving IDs and until now I am not received the Activation Code. I am sent to here and to there, do this do that, but nothing. My AC (Activation Code) doesn't arrive. Is frustrating once I pay and they transfere to me the APLICATION, I pay by Credit Card and the invoice and the indispensable AC Where is it? But anybody say «Buy Quicken» for What? To succeed the same and walk into a vicious circle? What can this FORUM do? - Thanks, Joca.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-asking-activation-code-i-didnt-receive-one
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Tyka, I'm finding one of the FAQ's untrue regarding the frequency of signing in with the Quicken ID.

For example, I opened Quicken Mac 2017 today.  I was prompted for my Quicken ID password in order to start.

What is perplexing is that I open Quicken Mac 2017 EVERY day except for some Sundays and download transactions and security prices.  And nothing has changed regarding my accounts in Quicken for years.

So, no...you don't have to be inactive in Quicken for 90 days or more nor do you have to experience a change in your accounts to experience Quicken asking for your login credentials.

Which I find as more of a nuisance than anything...but also has me concerned if I am unable to obtain an internet connection at that moment...rendering me completely unable to access my data. 

GoHawks   By logged in, the authors of the FAQ meant authenticated the Quicken ID.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Continual Login required.

Since installing v5.5.5 I have to login to Quicken almost every time I sync. This is very annoying. Prior to this, I would only have to login every few months.

At least now, I have no trouble remembering my password.
  • lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Please not in my case, this is to my laptop, not online.
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • DivemasterDivemaster Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why do I have to login every so often since I never use any online functions?.

Forced to login periodically when I never use any online functions.  This is getting really old, can anyone explain why, I never use any online functions.  I would like to meet one of these Quicken people face to face to settle this issue. 
  • TPerk100TPerk100 Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why Am I periodically required to enter Credentials (to open QW) when using no on....

See Title....QW 16 Premier, Win 10, ALL latest software versions.
    edited March 2018
    It seems Quicken does a lot of merging this topic, closing comments and never answers questions.  Guess have to deal with H.I.G. Capital directly. 
    edited July 2018
    Hey Divemaster,

Having multiple threads on the same topic is less effective than having long running threads that show multiple users having similar questions and issue.

I have responded to this questions above as well.

-Thanks!
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited October 2018
    I have not seen a simple answer as to why after I register, do the initial login, why am I randomly required to again login to account when I never use any online features.  There are times I need Quicken and internet is not available. 
    edited May 2018
    I did find the below in one of the FAQ and it makes no reasonable sense for someone who uses no online features other than to download Quicken software updates.  Wish I had stayed on Quicken 2014, but that shipped sailed as doubt I can convert data file back.  Requiring a login every 90 days, why, what is the reason?  Quicken support gives no answer and then what happens when my less than reliable internet connection is down for days?  I guess Quicken  which really is H.I.G. Capital don't care.  Then since I have the Deluxe, I am suppose to be able to keep running Quicken 2018 Deluxe after the 2 years, just won't get software updates, wonder if I will still have to wait until I have internet connection after the 2 years.  Well what comes around goes around.

Below a Quicken FAQ

Do I have to log in with my Quicken ID every time I open Quicken?
    No. Once
    you log in to Quicken with your Quicken ID, you won’t need to log in
    again, unless you change your credentials, try to open your Quicken file
    on a different computer system, or if you haven't logged in for more
    than 90 days.
  • JonJon Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled random prompt for quickenid.

I am running the latest Quicken 2018 (R6.12 build 27.1.6.12) on Windows 10. I have several QDF files and switch between them, sometimes saving and restoring backups on a laptop when I travel.

I have just now (and a couple of times before) had a random prompt for my Quicken ID when  opening a different (but existing) QDF file. Not a big deal, but I once had it happen when travelling and when I didn't have Internet access.

When should I expect to see a quicken ID prompt and is there a way to be sure I won't see it when on an airplane, for example?
  • JonJon Member
    edited August 2018
    thanks for merging my question into this thread.

I have no problem with a random occasional prompt. However, I think it is important that you be able to defer having to answer a random query for a day or two in case you do not have internet access.
  • AleenaAleena Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Online Login Appears when Opening Quicken.

Two weeks ago I complained that occasionally when I open Quicken 2018 on my desktop it takes me to an online login to Quicken.  It won't let me into Quicken until I login and tell it that I don't want to access Quicken on my cell phone with a mobile app.  The technician asked me to send a screen capture and I said I would as soon as it happened again.  This is not a recurring problem, but I miss having a stand alone system.  I don't have time to go through 2 logins.  With that said, I have the screen captures, but the technician never told me where I need to send them.  I'm assuming that this is where I post the png files, since the previous conversation has been closed.  There are three files.imageimageimageimage
    edited March 2018
    That is the same thing I get and same as you internet access is not always available.  And as already said, I NEVER use any online features.  I did see where they (Quicken) wants a person to login every 90 days, for what reason for someone like me is questionable unless they are capturing my data.

However, Quicken programmers could check to see if you use mobile or online accounts to determine if a logon is required every 90 days.  Or they could check to see if an internet connection is available before forcing an online login.  If they are unable to do this simple change, I could come out of retirement and do it in less than 15 minutes.   I spent 34 years doing software development, mostly  operating system software, but I could bring myself back to doing application developing. 
  • AleenaAleena Member
    edited April 2018

Hey Brian,

I understand how this can be frustrating, the Quicken ID is required for several reasons.

Signing in with the Quicken ID registers the file so you are able to use connected services.

The Quicken ID is required and listed in the system requirements https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-system-requirements.

The Quicken ID is also required for security purposes as Quicken contains sensitive banking information and transaction history.

I have also included an FAQ regarding the Quicken ID https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-id-frequently-asked-questions.

-Quicken Tyka

This is ridiculous.  I never had to go online with my previous version.  I think I'm going to be shopping for another software I can use.  I don't use Quicken online for anything and I thought I was buying updates, not to have to login online.  What happened to the stand alone version?
    edited April 2018

Hey Brian,

-Quicken Tyka

Same here and H.I.G. Capital doesn't seem to care, they are the company that took over Quicken.  All I wanted were the software updates.  This would be an easy change for H.I.G. Capital to make, register once and get updates.  Or they could have you signon to get updates- not just to use offline.  
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Jon said:

thanks for merging my question into this thread.

I have no problem with a random occasional prompt. However, I think it is important that you be able to defer having to answer a random query for a day or two in case you do not have internet access.

or longer....

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited April 2018
    Well today Quicken just updated without asking, then forced yet another logon, I was forced to do a logon a week ago!  Quicken I don't use any online functions and I don't like you updating without asking- It is not your computer! 
  • JonJon Member
    edited March 2018

Well today Quicken just updated without asking, then forced yet another logon, I was forced to do a logon a week ago!  Quicken I don't use any online functions and I don't like you updating without asking- It is not your computer! 

I have seen that previously, however the latest release did not auto-intstall. Each time I do a 1-step update it appears at the top of the status page as an available update. That is fine with me. I like to let updates age a little bit.

I'm running Quicken 2018, Windows, R6.12.
  • KeithKeith Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Being prompted for Quicken Id.

For apparently no reason my Quicken desktop program is prompting me for my Quicken Id and password. Is there a way to prevent the application from asking this question since I have already registered the product and have no need to login to my Quicken account.

2018 R7.5 27.1.7.5
  • AleenaAleena Member
    edited April 2018
    A lot of people are complaining about this, I don't believe they have a solution yet.  Some of us don't use the online functions and it's frustrating to have to do dual logins every once in a while.  It doesn't happen every time, just sporadically.
  • KeithKeith Member
    edited April 2018
    Keith said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Being prompted for Quicken Id.

For apparently no reason my Quicken desktop program is prompting me for my Quicken Id and password. Is there a way to prevent the application from asking this question since I have already registered the product and have no need to login to my Quicken account.

2018 R7.5 27.1.7.5

Thank you for merging with this thread, it didn't come up in the search for "Quicken Id".
    edited May 2018
    Keith said:

2018 R7.5 27.1.7.5

Hey Keith,  I have added "Quicken ID" to the post title to help other users find this thread.

We are currently researching this issue.

Having everyone that is currently experiencing this sign in trouble in one place helps us track the issue better.

Thank you for your patience regarding this matter!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited May 2018
    I think they require it every 90 days, regardless of our use or non-use of online functions.  This is an easy fix to stop, I have over 30 years programming experience.  But for what ever insane reason they won't make this simple fix?  They could easily change it so a login was only required when you wanted to update Quicken software to insure you were still within the support range.  Then add a preference of wanting a standalone version with no online functions other than software updates.   These are easy modifications that wouldn't affect the core Quicken code.

At the very least they could check if internet connection was available before trying to force a login, but this option isn't the best. 

Quicken, I could come out of retirement and do this for you- but not for free.
  • BoxerBoi76BoxerBoi76 Member
    edited April 2018
    Are there any decent options aside from Quicken that don't prompt for this insidious logon prompt?

This is ridiculous - how do we know that the app isn't copying our financial data to their servers with this logon?
  • BoxerBoi76BoxerBoi76 Member
    edited April 2018

I think they require it every 90 days, regardless of our use or non-use of online functions.  This is an easy fix to stop, I have over 30 years programming experience.  But for what ever insane reason they won't make this simple fix?  They could easily change it so a login was only required when you wanted to update Quicken software to insure you were still within the support range.  Then add a preference of wanting a standalone version with no online functions other than software updates.   These are easy modifications that wouldn't affect the core Quicken code.

At the very least they could check if internet connection was available before trying to force a login, but this option isn't the best. 

Quicken, I could come out of retirement and do this for you- but not for free.

Completely agree with your suggestions. This take it or leave it attitude won't gain them any customers.
    edited April 2018
    I have downloaded and when get time will test Moneydance.  Yes they may be stealing data, but sometimes I need on Quicken and internet is down, not living in a big city with great service, spotty at best.  Moneydance lets you have a free trial of 100 transactions for testing.   Seems their conversion from Quicken may have some problems???   However, could just start over, after a reconciliation. 
This discussion has been closed.