2018 projected balance graph not showing some transactions

In Quicken Premier Windows 2018, the "Projected Balances" graph under "Bills & Income) appears to show the correct balances, but when I click on a data point, it doesn't show the transaction that caused the change. It does show the Opening Balance and Closing Balance, with different values, but in between it just says "Nothing scheduled for this period" Some transactions show correctly, but others do not. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as to when it doesn't work.image

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey GeoDosch,

Thank you for adding a screenshot to provide clarity.

When the message says nothing scheduled for this period, are there scheduled transactions that are upcoming but it's not reflecting them?

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • GeoDoschGeoDosch Member
    edited March 2018

Hey GeoDosch,

Thank you for adding a screenshot to provide clarity.

When the message says nothing scheduled for this period, are there scheduled transactions that are upcoming but it's not reflecting them?

-Quicken Tyka

Hi Tyka,

Yes, on that date there's a scheduled transaction in the amount of $1434.06, which is a direct withdraw from a credit card account. That accounts for the balance going from +772.91 to -661.15 (I will be scheduling a funds transfer prior to that date.) So the transaction amount is being reflected in the projected balance, but the transaction itself does not appear in the detail.

I rely heavily on that screen to make sure there is enough money in any given account to cover all upcoming payments, so it concerns me when it's not working correctly.

Thank you for looking into this, and I hope you can find something.

-George
    edited April 2018
    Any updates on this issue?
    edited July 2018
    Hey GeoDosch,

Unfortunately issues like this are a little bit more difficult to replicate on my end as I don't have all of the information to recreate the projected balances exactly as you are seeing them.

This response should bump this post and hopefully someone with more experience using the projected balance can chime in a provide some insight.

-Quicken Tyka 
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello GeoDosch,

I can completely understand the concern of the projected balances not working as intended and apologize that you are experiencing this issue.  I did some testing in my account and all scheduled reminders are appearing in the projected balances detail as designed, so that may point to an issue with the scheduled transaction itself.

May I ask, do other scheduled reminders appear in the detail?  Or is this happening with multiple reminders?

If you haven't yet, I would also recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on your data file to look for any issues within the transactions.  To find the Validate & Repair tool, open the File menu in the top left corner of Quicken and select File Operations > Validate & Repair.

In the window that opens, check mark the "validate file" box and then click Ok.  Once finished a log file should open detailing what, if any, issues were found and corrected.  You may see a line that refers to corrected or removed damaged transactions, scheduled or otherwise; if not, please let me know what the log does say.

If you would like, that log file can also be saved for later reference.  When you are ready please close and re-open Quicken and then check the projected balances detail once more.  

Hope this helps and please post back to let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited July 2018
    Hey Geodosch,

Were you able to run the validate and repair?

If you are still experiencing this issue please respond to avoid the post being closed due to inactivity.

Let us know where you are at in the steps provided above!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    GeoDosch said:

From C. D. Bales:

This appears to be a problem with online bill pay transactions that have not been paid (by the bill payer) but have been "confirmed" by the bill payer.

That is: there is a "transaction" in the appropriate Quicken account register but it has not "cleared". It was probably in the Bill & Income Reminders List until the bill pay transaction was triggered (or the confirmation "transaction" was downloaded).

In other words: the transaction is still "scheduled" to be paid by the bill payer, but it is no longer "scheduled" in Quicken ... nor is it "cleared" in Quicken ... but it is recorded in its Quicken account register.

In Q2017, the confirmed bill pay transaction was displayed when you clicked on its date in the Projected Balances graph, and in the list of transactions below the Projected Balances; in Q2018, that transaction is no longer displayed in either place.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited April 2018
    GeoDosch said:

All of the transactions in question are reminder transactions; none of them are linked bills.  On my PNC account I can schedule payments via bill pay, but there are other accounts that have no bill pay capability which also exhibit this behavior.
    edited April 2018

Hello GeoDosch,

I can completely understand the concern of the projected balances not working as intended and apologize that you are experiencing this issue.  I did some testing in my account and all scheduled reminders are appearing in the projected balances detail as designed, so that may point to an issue with the scheduled transaction itself.

May I ask, do other scheduled reminders appear in the detail?  Or is this happening with multiple reminders?

If you haven't yet, I would also recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on your data file to look for any issues within the transactions.  To find the Validate & Repair tool, open the File menu in the top left corner of Quicken and select File Operations > Validate & Repair.

In the window that opens, check mark the "validate file" box and then click Ok.  Once finished a log file should open detailing what, if any, issues were found and corrected.  You may see a line that refers to corrected or removed damaged transactions, scheduled or otherwise; if not, please let me know what the log does say.

If you would like, that log file can also be saved for later reference.  When you are ready please close and re-open Quicken and then check the projected balances detail once more.  

Hope this helps and please post back to let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah

Yes, when I first saw this issue I ran a validate.  No issues were found, and the problem is still there.  I don't see any pattern with which entries are affected, and it's affecting multiple accounts.
  • Ann ArborAnn Arbor Member
    edited April 2018
    I have the same error. If I type a transaction directly into the register, it does not show up in the "Projected Balances" chart. Bills and Income reminders are shown.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    GeoDosch said:

From C. D. Bales:

"All of the transactions in question are reminder transactions; none of them are linked bills".

I described the conditions that reproduced the problem you reported in my Q2018 R7.5 test data, and those conditions had nothing to do with "linked bills": I never mentioned "linked bills" in my post.

If there are conditions other than those I posted that cause the problem, I have not seen them.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 17
    Okay, I found out what's going on with this.  If a transaction is scheduled as a reminder, its impact on the balance is reflected in the line graph, and if you click on the data point it also appears in the pop-up.  However, once the reminder is entered into the register, it no longer shows in the pop-up detail, though it does still impact the projected balance. 

Here's an example: I have 2 tax payments on 4/15, one was entered directly into the register, and the other was a scheduled quarterly transaction.  When I looked at the projected balance pop-up, it looked like this:
    If you look at the opening and closing balances, it's obvious that there's more than just the $333 impacting the balance.  Next I entered the scheduled $333 payment into the register.  Now the pop-up looks like this:
    The $333 payment disappears from the detail, but the balances are still correct.

So apparently the detail is looking at scheduled, unpaid transactions, but not paid transactions, nor manually entered transactions.  This is in line with what @Ann Arbor found.
    edited April 2018
    I received the R8.8 update, and the release notes mentioned fixes for this screen, but the "Nothing scheduled" is still a problem.
  • sbedfosbedfo Member
    edited April 2018
    agreed, i manually entered transfers for the future and it appears to show in the graph portion but not in the detail and the same problem as previous posts that if i hover over the graph it says "nothing scheduled for this period" but has the different opening/closing balance that is the amount of the transfer
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Incorrect Projected Balances On First Click Onl.

I noticed in my "Projected Balances" that when I click on a point it gives me one value of $694.35. When I click else where in the chart, then come back to the exact same point it gives me a different/correct value of $494.35. Note that I am not making any changes to my data at all, just click once and get one value, click again and get a different value. This is a $200.00 difference, which corresponds to a manual bill I have entered a few days earlier. I had the problem with a different bill a few days ago and deleted that bill to try and re-create it (which is another problem thread I have posted), but now the problem continues, just with a new bill, so it doesn't seem to be specific to a certain bill. It's only the first time I click the point on the graph, and it doesn't seem to matter which point it is on the graph. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 'n'th click are all correct at $494.35. I've tried a re-install and no luck. The problem persists in 14-day, 30-day, etc. outlooks. 

Is this a known glitch or am I just the lucky one?

Quicken 2017 Deluxe on Windows 7 x64.

imageimage
  • semistaticsemistatic Member
    edited January 17
    GeoDosch said:

Okay, I found out what's going on with this.  If a transaction is scheduled as a reminder, its impact on the balance is reflected in the line graph, and if you click on the data point it also appears in the pop-up.  However, once the reminder is entered into the register, it no longer shows in the pop-up detail, though it does still impact the projected balance. 

Here's an example: I have 2 tax payments on 4/15, one was entered directly into the register, and the other was a scheduled quarterly transaction.  When I looked at the projected balance pop-up, it looked like this:
    If you look at the opening and closing balances, it's obvious that there's more than just the $333 impacting the balance.  Next I entered the scheduled $333 payment into the register.  Now the pop-up looks like this:
    The $333 payment disappears from the detail, but the balances are still correct.

So apparently the detail is looking at scheduled, unpaid transactions, but not paid transactions, nor manually entered transactions.  This is in line with what @Ann Arbor found.

You're seeing exactly the same behavior I am, and it's definitely different than it was up until a couple of patches ago. It seems like it USED to take the data for the reminder and display it whether or not it had already been entered into the register, and now it only shows the balance change w/o any transaction details. I would really like to go back to the previous way of showing it so I don't have to jump back and forth between the register and reminders if I don't know why a balance change is occurring.
  • RobertMarquisRobertMarquis Member
    edited June 2018
    I am having this same issue and have been since I upgraded to 2018. The projected balance graph is showing all transactions, projected or entered into the register for that account, but the detail window that appears when you click on the graph does not show any activity recorded in the register.
    edited October 2018
    I'm up to version R14.27 (Windows 10) and this problem has not yet been fixed.
  • GeorgeGeorge Member
    edited October 2018

I also have this problem.  After
    I updated to 14.27 it started working correctly i.e. it showed date, payee, and
    amount of future dated transactions in the Projected Balances graph (when you
    click on a date data point), but it stopped showing that this morning. 
    How could that be?  I thought you had finally fixed this annoying
    glitch.  
  • Bob_LBob_L SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    I am seeing the same problem where the projected balance graph line is correct but the detail is missing.  I also have that same projected balance graph on my home page.  I noticed today that when I first open quicken, the detail shows correctly on the home page snapshot.  If I then click on the Bills and Income tab, it does NOT show there and when I go back to the home page it has also disappeared from there.  The transaction involved is a manual reminder.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Pro
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    I have had the same experience with a missing entered manual reminder on the projected balance graph in Quicken 2019 R17.6.  I found that toggling Combine Bills, Income & Transfers appears to resolve the issue.

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited January 17
    Sherlock said:

I have had the same experience with a missing entered manual reminder on the projected balance graph in Quicken 2019 R17.6.  I found that toggling Combine Bills, Income & Transfers appears to resolve the issue.

I have tried toggling Combine Bills, Income & Transfers and repeated validation and supervalidation and it has not changed my symptoms, which appear identical to the original post.  I also tried a Year-End copy and only use transactions from 1/1/2019 (because my problem appears to start from a transaction on 8/17/2018), but the issue carried forward into the Projected Balance in my new 2019 file.

Recommend Quicken consider backing out the software update that removed display of the transactions in the Projected Balance.

I can provide screen shots upon request.
  • ZephyrousZephyrous Member
    edited January 26
    I am having the exact same issue in Quicken 2019, so it hasn't been fixed.  Clicking the dot shows the correct balance, and also shows the upcoming transactions that have not been entered to the register.  Anything that has been added to the register, whether entered from the "bills, income, transfers" list or directly into the register, do not show up.  Very problematic.

Edit: toggling the "Combine..." function fixes it only when it is "off" but the problem returns when you turn it on and combine the transactions again.

Also, it is worth noting that the missing  "bill" transactions do NOT show up on the "Upcoming... " list below the graph.  BUT, other "income" transactions that I have entered in the register show up with the pencil and are, in fact, showing when I click the dot.  Thus, it seems to be a problem with Bills, specifically, when they are entered in the register.
  • I am having the same problem and I have updated to version 18.15.
    Definitely not fixed.
    But I did find if you do NOT "combine bill and income & transfers" then it shows up.

• DavidG99 said:
    I am having the same problem and I have updated to version 18.15.
    Definitely not fixed.
    But I did find if you do NOT "combine bill and income & transfers" then it shows up.

The work around is that I use the "projected balances" page of the Bills & Income and that shows all my upcoming bills also.
  • DavidG99 said:
    The work around is that I use the "projected balances" page of the Bills & Income and that shows all my upcoming bills also.
    I don't understand how you're using the "Projected Balances" page as a work-around, since that IS where the problem occurs.

The projected balance page does reflect upcoming bills in the graph, but when you click on the datapoint to see the detail of what those bills are, it often shows "Nothing scheduled", even though the started and ending balances are different.

Bottom line: Still not fixed
  • I am having this issue on Quicken 2019 R18.16; has anyone had any luck or received any useful information from Quicken support?
    The last response from anyone on the Quicken side (a moderator here) was over a year ago, but did not provide any solutions. I'm still having this problem, and apparently a lot of other users are as well, based on the responses here. My subscription is up for renewal in a couple of days. It would be a lot less of a bitter pill to swallow if Quicken seemed to have any desire to fix this (and other) serious problems with the software.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

The R19.34 release of Quicken for Windows subscription (2018/19) contains multiple fixes for scheduled bills and reminders and should resolve the "Nothing Scheduled" message.

In my testing, all entered transactions appear correctly when selecting the corresponding graph plot in the Projected Balances tab.

The R19.34 release is still currently in a "staged" release and has not gone live to all Users yet, if you have not received the 19.34 update and would prefer to not wait for the release to go live for all Users, it may be downloaded and installed from the Mondo Patch available at https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.

I hope this information is helpful and we appreciate your patience throughout this long-standing issue.

Thank you,

Sarah

I've installed the Mondo patch, but it did not fix the issue described in this topic:
    There is a payment of $1,785.90 on 05/25 which is reflected in the closing balance, but the transaction doesn't show.