Please add a simple way to shift budget allocations

JoeBlowJoeBlow Member ✭✭
I used [removed] for over a year and liked it. I couldn't drop Quicken because it had so many other things, like investment tracking and tax planning.

I used to sneer at envelope budgeting as simplistic but I actually changed my spending habits when using it. Ultimately I missed the ability to forecast cash flow and got tired of double entry in Quicken.

I just dropped [removed] and am trying to use some of its approaches in Quicken. One thing I miss is the ability to easily shift budget allocations from one category to another. Yes, I can reduce the amount allocated to one category and it to another category or split it among multiple categories.

But I really miss the simple 'move' function [removed] has. Just right-click, type in the amount of an excess to move, and pick the category to move it to, from a drop-down list. (Right-click is for Windows. I assume a similar action works on a Mac.) If the the category balance is negative, default it to shift that amount from the budgeted amount of another category that has a positive balance.

That would improve the budget a lot. As Quicken's budget hasn't changed in years, as far as I know, enhancements are sorely needed.
Tagged:
4 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• pauldv172pauldv172 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I do the same thing so I did vote for it.  

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Got my vote
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I would vote for this as well.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Snowman said:

I would vote for this as well.

Then be sure to click VOTE above... ;-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Chris HarrisChris Harris Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 29
    I agree and voted accordingly. This would be a very beneficial addition for both Mac and Windows.  I too am doing double entry with [removed] right now and still constantly go  back and forth on whether to officially make the switch. I just can't get past the fact that Quicken has so much more functionality than [removed]. Also, now that Quicken is no longer owned by Intuit, I've actually seen positive movement after years and years and years of decline. I really do hope Quicken spends the time to overhaul the Budgeting module. It needs work and [removed] would be a great source of ideas for Quicken's developers

Budgeting is a critical function for any financial app/software and [removed] certainly has Quicken beat in that regard; though I'm rooting for Quicken!  JoeBlow said it best.  Getting us to change our spending habits should be the end goal. 
    JoeBlow said:

I used to sneer at envelope budgeting as simplistic but I actually changed my spending habits when using it.

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
    Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.
  • AustinAustin Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the features I would like to see added the most. It seems like a no brainer, and I’m honestly surprised this functionality doesn’t already exist. You have my vote!
  • Chris HarrisChris Harris Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 14
    Seriously Quicken?

If you're so concerned that [removed] will steal your customers that you'll redact any mention of them including from my Quicken friendly post above, then improve your product and customer service so people will want to stay.

Like I said in the post above, I'm rooting for Quicken because I've seen continual improvement since the Intuit days.

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
    Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.