Add Tax Schedule A Medical categories (2 Merged Votes)

MikeBrittMikeBritt Member ✭✭

Quicken Premier 2016 Win 10 has 3 categories under Tax Schedule
A Medical.  Turbo Tax has 8 or more
medical categories.  How do I add those categories
to Quicken?

2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can, in QWin, add all the categories that you wish ... just do TOOLS, Category List and then click "New Category" in the upper right hand corner.

BUT, I suspect that what you really want is to add new "Tax Lines" to Q's list of available Tax Lines ... and there's no possible way for a user to do that.

We've been asking for additional Tax Lines for YEARS ... and it hasn't happened yet.  Keep your fingers crossed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • MikeBrittMikeBritt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You are right.  I want more "Tax Lines".  Sad they won't enable such an easy fix as to add more.
  • Barry KeithBarry Keith Member
    edited October 2018
    There should be only one tax line for medical and dental expenses because schedule a has one line for medical and dental ex
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

There should be only one tax line for medical and dental expenses because schedule a has one line for medical and dental ex

Doesn't really matter, Barry.
    You can have more than one category in Quicken, all pointing to the same tax line item. That allows you to, for example, maintain separate categories for Medical expenses and Dental expenses, yet have them all correctly reported in Tax - related reports and exported to tax software.
    Also, ISTR that Turbotax asked me separate questions for medical and dental when I filed my tax return this year ... if I didn't have separate categories I'd have had to break out the old pocket calculator and total up my separate expenses.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This Question has been changed into an Idea.
    Ideas are supposed to be brought to the attention of the Quicken programmers, for possible implementation in a future version of Quicken.

In a nutshell, it is suggested that
    the programmers review the table of tax line items available in Quicken and add any missing line items.
    For example, the missing Schedule A Medical tax line items.
    The default categories provided should better coincide with the questions asked in tax software, to make it easier to correctly fill out the tax returns.

If you would like to see changes made in the area of tax reporting, please click the VOTE button at the upper right of this webpage.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    While they are at it, it would be really nice if Quicken provided provide better support for Qualified dividends. There is now a tax line for them and a box for them in the Tax planner, but no way to differentiate between qualified and ordinary dividends when you are recording the transactions.

Since the Qualified/Ordinary information is not available in downloaded transactions, perhaps a good way to implement this would be to change the "Tax free" checkbox on the Edit Security details dialog to "Dividend type" radio buttons, with choices of Ordinary, Qualified, and tax exempt.

I realize that this would not be 100% accurate, because many mutual fund dividends are a mixture of ordinary and qualified, but it would lead to a much better tax estimate.

Maybe I should submit a separate Idea for this... [Edit] I see there already is one. I will add this there.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

You don’t have to enter the separate categories in Turbo Tax. You can just enter the grand total on any line. As stated before only the total goes to schedule A. The Turbo Tax categories are just to help you remember what you can deduct so you don’t forget anything.
  • RobbieblindtRobbieblindt Member ✭✭
    edited February 8
    Schedule A Tax Line only give 2 different options:
    Schedule A: Medicine and drugs / Schedule A: Doctors, dentists, hospitals.

Why does Quicken not update the tax line options for categories to be more compatible with current tax software. Modern tax software ask for itemized categories for prescription cost, medical professional cost, medical facility cost, medical procedures (x-ray & lab work), long-term care services, eye care expenses, medical supplies & equipment cost.

Also way does Quicken not offer a way of recording medical mileage on all Quicken software instead of just the Business software.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have asked for a more complete Tax Line Item list for decades. If they wouldn't do it while owned by Intuit in cooperation with TurboTax, I have no hope they'll ever do it. But I voted this up & so should you, @Robbieblindt.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    I've asked this to be merged with 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19825117#Comment_19825117
    in which case you probably need to vote on that Idea.  

Merger completed.