Salary split information lost

After upgrading to Quicken Home Business & Rental Property 2018 I have had a problem with disappearing salary split information. Everything was initially working well. For the last 3 weeks I have had this problem several times. I reconciled my paycheck to the salary transaction. After shutting down Quicken and opening it on another day I was about to reconcile the next paycheck. The split information was gone from the scheduled transaction, and the prior saved reconciled transactions. I restored from a backup and everything was fine until the next paycheck when this recurred, and I again had to restore from backup.

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Hey Steven,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

Have you performed any updates or made any changes recently?

Have you tried validating the file? If not, please follow the steps listed at https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows.

-Quicken Tyka
  • edited March 2018
    Thanks. I tried validating the file, but that didn't solve the problem. It did, however, reveal some transactions with problems to correct. I am (and had been) updated to the latest release. 
  • edited August 2018
    Did you get resolution to this?  The same thing happened to several of my paychecks after upgrading to premier.  
  • edited October 2018
    It has happened again a couple times. I make multiple dated backup files so I don't lose to much work. No solution yet
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited August 2018

It has happened again a couple times. I make multiple dated backup files so I don't lose to much work. No solution yet

Please do HELP, About Quicken, and tell us what your SPECIFIC Build/Release info is.

"The latest release" (from your message of 4 months ago) can, actually, mean several things as several releases have come out since then.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Greg KershnerGreg Kershner Member
    edited October 2018
    This exact same thing is happening to me.  Started a couple of months ago.  Did you ever find a solution?

• edited October 2018
    No. This is still an issue. As a precaution I save dated backups frequently
  • edited October 2018
    Yes, I still have the problem as well.  I can't believe this has not been addressed yet.  
  • KERRIE MARVINKERRIE MARVIN Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the same problem and noticed transactions and splits that were fine years ago have now disappeared.
  • Joe MagidJoe Magid Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm seeing the same behavior for previously saved paychecks (current is fine, memorized transaction is fine) in Quicken 2016, R18.4, Build 25.1.18.4.

I am able to copy and paste another transaction to the date for the offending entry, delete it and then go to asset accounts and delete orphaned transactions (super validate identifies the orphans that's how I realized the issue exists).
  • edited January 11
    This problem seems to be getting worse and worse and I can't, for the life of me figure out what causes it.  I have made some observations, which I'm hoping may trigger an idea of a root cause in someone:
    • My paycheck is deposited into a checking (primary) and savings account - this is treated as transfer (Checking to Savings) in the Deposit Accounts section on the Edit Paycheck window.  I can identify "broken" deposits because the transfer into savings duplicates.
    • If you click "go to matching transfer" on the original transaction, quicken errors "This transfer transaction is to an account that no longer exists."  The second transaction brings me to the Edit Pay Check window, which is completely blank.  
    • It does seem that the "broken" transaction in savings is the cleared transaction (is something breaking during the transaction download process??) 
    • If I hover over the Category column (it reads "--Paycheck--") on the paycheck transaction a popup window appears and it has retained the details of the deduction / split.  However, using the Split button to bring up the Edit Paycheck window shows everything is blanked.  So, the details are at least partially there.

I'm truly shocked that Quicken has not figured this out yet.  It is very frustrating.  

• edited January 10
    One more observation, in addition to the above:
    • my 401k transfers are also duplicated (in much the same way as the savings transfer above).  However, here I don't know who to idenitfy the Orphaned and real transaction.  In the future, I I think I will have to delete the 401k transactions from the 401k account before I fix via Edit Paycheck.  
  • Joe MagidJoe Magid Member
    edited January 11
    I've had this issue show up a few times in Quicken for Windows 2016. My process has been to delete the entry from my checking account, copy a good similar entry to replace it, follow the links to the transfer account for the new entry, and the orphaned entries will be right next to those which I then delete. I have to go to my regular 401k account, my Roth 401k account and my flexible spending account to clean it up. Definitely not clear why it's happening in the first place, but this does fix each instance. Oh by the way, running either regular validation or super validation will reveal the bad entries.
  • edited January 11
    Joe Magid said:

I've had this issue show up a few times in Quicken for Windows 2016. My process has been to delete the entry from my checking account, copy a good similar entry to replace it, follow the links to the transfer account for the new entry, and the orphaned entries will be right next to those which I then delete. I have to go to my regular 401k account, my Roth 401k account and my flexible spending account to clean it up. Definitely not clear why it's happening in the first place, but this does fix each instance. Oh by the way, running either regular validation or super validation will reveal the bad entries.

Yea, I did that for a while but I was finding that it was causing the same transaction to blank out again.  Since I switched to the 'edit' method, I have yet to find a situation where I needed to fix the same entry twice.  Of course, I'm not sure if it is related and I've just gotten lucky.  

What I'd really love is for Quicken to fix this!
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited January 11

This problem seems to be getting worse and worse and I can't, for the life of me figure out what causes it.  I have made some observations, which I'm hoping may trigger an idea of a root cause in someone:

• My paycheck is deposited into a checking (primary) and savings account - this is treated as transfer (Checking to Savings) in the Deposit Accounts section on the Edit Paycheck window.  I can identify "broken" deposits because the transfer into savings duplicates.
    • If you click "go to matching transfer" on the original transaction, quicken errors "This transfer transaction is to an account that no longer exists."  The second transaction brings me to the Edit Pay Check window, which is completely blank.  
    • It does seem that the "broken" transaction in savings is the cleared transaction (is something breaking during the transaction download process??) 
    • If I hover over the Category column (it reads "--Paycheck--") on the paycheck transaction a popup window appears and it has retained the details of the deduction / split.  However, using the Split button to bring up the Edit Paycheck window shows everything is blanked.  So, the details are at least partially there.

I'm truly shocked that Quicken has not figured this out yet.  It is very frustrating.  

Matthew Guglielmetti: If you have Transfer detection enabled, I suggest disabling it:

Also, I suggest you do not manually match a downloaded transaction to a transfer transaction.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited January 11

Thanks Sherlock.  I'll give that a try.  Can you help me understand your second statement ("do not manually match a downloaded transaction to a transfer transaction.") better?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Thanks!
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited January 11

Matthew Guglielmetti: When a downloaded transaction is not matched to a transaction in a register automatically, we may manually match the transactions.  When we manually match a downloaded transaction to a transfer transaction, the category field is cleared or replaced breaking the transfer.  Here's a closed query discussing the issue: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/when-matching-a-transfer-transaction-to-a-matchi...
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • This problem seems to be getting worse and worse and I can't, for the life of me figure out what causes it.  I have made some observations, which I'm hoping may trigger an idea of a root cause in someone:

This is a great description of the problem.  The exact thing just happened to me with a brand new quicken file.  I couldn't resolve this at the end of 2018 so I just started over on 1/1/19.  From scratch.  And it just happened again.  Unbelievable.