Canada sales tax not working on invoices

Denise
Denise Member
I am using Quicken Home and Business 2018 - Canada - version R4.4 on Windows 10.  I just spent 2.5 hours on the phone with support trying to get sales tax to show up correctly on my invoices.  The support person also had the Canadian version installed and was able to see the same results (it's not unique to my setup).

(Incidentally, as an aside, the problem I called for which took us over an hour to fix was that when you first set up invoicing Quicken automatically creates a Sales Tax account but the default setup is to have "Tax-tracking enabled" set to No!  When I set it to Yes I was finally able to see Sales Tax information on the invoice form.)

When I am in an invoice form I click on the T column and the dropdown gives me 5 options (no tax, GST only, PST only, Standard, Harmonized).  I select "GST only" and it calculates 7%.  Canadian GST is 5% and has been 5% since 2008.  I'm not interested in the other options, but for the sake of completion, "PST only" calculates 0, Standard calculates 7% and Harmonized calculates 15% - all wrong.

The support person told me that there is no way to change these amounts, I simply have to wait until the tax tables are updated, and he couldn't tell me when that would happen.  I also wasn't able to find anywhere where I could identify the province I'm in so that the software would know what PST to apply even if the tax tables were right.

This problem renders the Business part of Quicken Home and Business completely useless.  I only purchased this upgrade for invoicing purposes.  Should I request a refund?  What am I missing?

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Denise,

I apologize for any frustration this has caused.  I did some testing with my Canadian version of Quicken to check the tax rate amounts and was able to confirm that the rates should be able to be edited and the correct rates added.

If you aren't already, please change the menu view from Standard to "Classic" by opening the View tab at the top of Quicken.  Then select the Business tab that will appear at the top with the normal tabs File, Tools, Help, etc.  Almost to the bottom of that menu, select "Sales Tax Code List".  A window should open that lists the various tax codes with the options to create a new tax code and rate, edit an existing tax code and rate or delete.

image   image

I hope this helps but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Denise,

Were you able to find the Tax Code list?

If we don't hear back from you this post will be closed after 48 hours.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Denise
    Denise Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes, thank you, I tried it and it worked.  Thank you!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Denise said:

Yes, thank you, I tried it and it worked.  Thank you!

Hi Denise,

I'm very glad to hear that worked for you and thank you for posting back to let us know!

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.