Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

This FI is inactive, we cannot connect.

Unknown
Unknown Member
I'm trying to import a .qfx file, and I get the message "This FI is inactive, we cannot connect". Searching these support forums and the internet at large I've found multiple people saying something to the extent of this "this means your bank doesn't support Quicken for the platform you are using." This doesn't make any sense to me. 

A QFX file is just a text file; I can open it on my mac with text edit. When I open it there's a brief header, and then a bunch of fields. I can easily look at the file and see all the relevant data about stock purchases and deposits.Even if my financial institution was exporting the qfx file in the 'windows' format, I don't understand why the Mac version of quicken can't include the windows syntax parsing - tell me the parsing and I'll edit the file myself.

Its pretty bizare that I'm getting a connection error. The bank gave me a downloadable file, I don't see what Quicken needs to connect to... 

How can I import this file?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    You can't.  Q "phones home" before any QFX file import to insure that the FI is a "Participation Financial Institution" for your Q product, platform, year and country.

You FI probably has chosen (the FI's choice, NOT Q's) to only support QWin.  Complain to them.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Look, I get that writing software is expensive. But I paid quicken for their software and it looks really bad when I can't import a text file and you tell me its because the bank 'has chosen' not to support it. Thats B.S. At the end of the day its a text file thats essentially a clone of the open file exchange. All quicken has done is slap a double pay wall on it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    Hey Yasai,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

I know it seems confusing because downloading a file and importing that into Quicken seems like manual task.

There is a connection type involved Web connect that allows the file to be imported.

Once the initial file has been imported, you can sign into the banks website and update from Quicken and transactions will download straight into the file.image

There's more going on behind the scenes than loading in a simple file.

What is the name of your bank? Sometimes, banks have a different option that needs to be selected in the bank list to import a QFX file.

If we don't hear back this post will be closed after 48 hours of inactivity.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    This post hasn't received a response in over 48 hours, this post is being closed.

If you are still needing help, please create a new post.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jcolson
    jcolson Member
    I agree with yasai, this is basically a double paywall and ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.