subscription service

daviddavid Member
edited January 26 in Subscription
Have you ever consider going back to sell the program that was good for 4 years rather then the subscription service you do now? I was a 20 year user but stopped after you switched to a subscription service. I was just looking for a program that does investmnents only. I don't need to print cheques, have savings goals or any other stuff like that.  I think I used to pay $60 to $70 every 4 years for a new program, now it would cost $89 every year.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• daviddavid Member
    edited August 2018
    There was a huge increase in price.  To go from $70 every 4 years to $89 every year, bad idea quicken. I agree it was always a subscription service but the huge increase in price was beyond belief.
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member
    edited December 2018
    It's basically the same price for an annual subscription to Office 365, which gives you Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Outlook and Publisher.  The Canadian version of Quicken is bare bones.  I'm astonished at the posts I read here about all of the additional features that the American product has.  Canadians are getting ripped off royally.  I used to buy the software every 4 years for around $29.95 on the Boxing Day sales. Now I pay in one year what I used to pay in 12 years!
  • daviddavid Member
    edited August 2018
    Yea I hear you, I wish they would changed.  I stopped using it 2 years ago, I enter the data manually into quicken now. I was faced with a price increase going from $69 every 4 years to $360 for 4 years.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

It's basically the same price for an annual subscription to Office 365, which gives you Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Outlook and Publisher.  The Canadian version of Quicken is bare bones.  I'm astonished at the posts I read here about all of the additional features that the American product has.  Canadians are getting ripped off royally.  I used to buy the software every 4 years for around $29.95 on the Boxing Day sales. Now I pay in one year what I used to pay in 12 years!

If you shop around, there are still good deals to be had, e.g. Amazon for 27 month subscription that has gone on sale many times., which start to approach old pricing.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018
    Subscription model for many software seems to be the way of the current future. So very unlikely this will change, at least any time soon. That said, you can turn off auto-renew in your account and get a similar result.

Keep in mind that old versions were essentially subscriptions without the name, just limited to at most 3 1/2 years. The main difference is that the subscription terminology is now upfront and has been reduced to 12 to 27 months with a new pricing structure. 

There are 2 exceptions...Starter Edition renders your file read-only if the subscription expires and we have just learned that Quicken becomes Ad-driven when the subscription expires, taking up about 20% of screen space do so, cutting off about 2 columns worth of data in registers. Be aware of that.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You don't need to keep the subscription current if you are not downloading transactions. If you manually enter your investment transactions, you do not need a current subscription... you can continue using it after the subscription expires... as long as you don't have the starter version.
    edited April 2018

@Colin: to which feature differences are you referring (in the Windows version)? The main differences in features between the USA and CAD versions of Q, from my perspective, are Bill Pay and Direct Connect. I have no interest in Q Bill Pay. I would, however, use Direct Connect just to get a more robust download method and to download investment transactions, if it were available. The Canadian version does have some features that US version doesn't or didn't have. The Canadian version does a better job of multi-currency; the CAD version has multi-currency features that US users wish they had. The Canadian version also had better QIF functionality, which sometimes comes in handy. I understand that the QIF functionality in the US version got improved in the Q2018 release, so they may be on an equal footing now. There was a period of years where US superusers kept telling me that it was impossible to do things with QIF that I was doing... with the Canadian version.

I do have a few beefs about the Canadian version, relative to the US, but from a feature perspective, the only one that jumps to mind is Direct Connect.

What do perceive to be the basis of the "ripp-off"?
    edited August 2018

You don't need to keep the subscription current if you are not downloading transactions. If you manually enter your investment transactions, you do not need a current subscription... you can continue using it after the subscription expires... as long as you don't have the starter version.

And as long as you are willing to give up about 20% screen real-estate for Quicken advertising space (not an exaggeration). See example:

• edited December 2018

Wow...Quicken is actually doing that?

Talk about crippling an application!

Sure...you have a data access guarantee...but I mean, come on...that just messes everything up.

I can see the banner at the top as a warning...but the right side of real estate?  Really?

I'm sorry...but thats just wrong on Quicken's part. 

Make's me ready to move on when my 2017 version expires.  
    edited April 2018

Just keep in mind that this occurs only if your subscription expires.

• edited August 2018

Well, to me this isn't "Quicken will function as it did before only in manual mode".

This is more like...we know you didn't renew your subscription, so we're going to nag you to death and make it more difficult and annoying to work without your subscription.

Really, if Quicken doesn't rethink this ultra-annoying screen space grabber, I'm out of here when my Quicken 2017 expires in 2020.

Enough is enough already.  The only thing they could have added to make it worse is to watermark the reports and registers.  
    edited December 2018

The only thing they could have added to make it worse is to watermark the reports and registers.  
    Why would you float that idea out there?... you are pretty much daring Q to add encumbrances.
  • John McFaddenJohn McFadden Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Year payment/upgrade.

Very upset with the new yearly subscription of Quicken!!  I have been using this product for many years and upgrade when I feel I need to or when the product will no longer be supported.  I am using Quicken 17 presently and will continue using in the future because I will not be "upgrading"  if it is subscription only.  I will no longer recommend Quicken to anyone.  Just because some other products have started using subscription process doesn't mean you need to do it.  I have a feeling you will be losing a lot of LOYAL customers.
  • KayoKayo Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Re: Subscription Service.

Future internet access I have Quicken 2017 Deluxe.  It has all the functionality I want or

expect to want. Come Apr. 30, 2020,  internet access for this version

will expire. I expect that at this time I will have a version that works

perfectly for me.  I am willing to pay the subscription price for the

availability of internet access, but I don't want to use  the new

software.  Could Quicken.com make this feature available for us

Luddites?
  • Robert EdgarRobert Edgar Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Implements Subscription Service With No Notification.

Just opened my Quicken 2018 file and attempted to update bank and investment accounts.  Got a message that my subscription has expired.  What subscription?  I've never been notified.  And why do I want one anyway? Anyway, found a way to register, but oops, can't log on.  Came to this site to find out servers are down for some unexplained reason.  What a mess!
  • Kayo said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Re: Subscription Service.

Future internet access

I have Quicken 2017 Deluxe.  It has all the functionality I want or

expect to want. Come Apr. 30, 2020,  internet access for this version

will expire. I expect that at this time I will have a version that works

perfectly for me.  I am willing to pay the subscription price for the

availability of internet access, but I don't want to use  the new

software.  Could Quicken.com make this feature available for us

Luddites?
    Same old request year after year..."I love my version of Quicken and I just want to pay a fee to keep it so I can continue to download my transactions".

You know for a fact that doesn't happen...and yes, in 2020 you'll have to make a decision whether to pay the subscription or find something else.  
    edited December 2018

If you have a concern about this, you can add your vote and voice here:
    QWin 2017-CA/QWin & QMac 2018–Quicken Inc should eliminate or at least minimize the LARGE Advertising space used when a subscription expires

edited December 2018

Now that I pay $89 per year rather than $30 every 4 years for Quicken Home & Business, I would expect that the software would improve considerably each year.  I upgraded from H&B 2014 to H&B 2017 last September when my download ability was scheduled to end.  Since then Quicken has upgraded me automatically to H&B 2018.  But guess what folks?  The software is no different from H&B 2014.  Not one change that I can see.  Especially annoying now that I'm paying $81.50 per year more than before.  The subscription is just a money grab.  Quicken H&B 2019 better be absolutely amazing given the huge increase in revenue they are pulling in.

edited April 2018

Now that I pay $89 per year rather than $30 every 4 years for Quicken Home & Business, I would expect that the software would improve considerably each year.  I upgraded from H&B 2014 to H&B 2017 last September when my download ability was scheduled to end.  Since then Quicken has upgraded me automatically to H&B 2018.  But guess what folks?  The software is no different from H&B 2014.  Not one change that I can see.  Especially annoying now that I'm paying $81.50 per year more than before.  The subscription is just a money grab.  Quicken H&B 2019 better be absolutely amazing given the huge increase in revenue they are pulling in.

Like it or not; agree or not; Quicken is charging users an annual fee to maintain the infrastructure and support to download transactions from over 15,000 financial institutions.

I am hoping to see fewer bugs and more reliable download connections. The feature wish list isn't very long at this point.
    edited April 2018

Too many banks in the USA.  5,725 at last count.  Not including investment companies and brokerages.  Not as bad as it used to be.  Not long ago there were tens of thousands of banks in the USA.  In Canada we have 5 large domestic banks and 25 smaller ones.  And a couple of hundred Credit Unions.  So perhaps the subscription price for the Canadian version of Quicken should be much lower.  And the Canadian version has far fewer bells and whistles than the American product. 
  • Now that I pay $89 per year rather than $30 every 4 years for Quicken Home & Business, I would expect that the software would improve considerably each year.  I upgraded from H&B 2014 to H&B 2017 last September when my download ability was scheduled to end.  Since then Quicken has upgraded me automatically to H&B 2018.  But guess what folks?  The software is no different from H&B 2014.  Not one change that I can see.  Especially annoying now that I'm paying $81.50 per year more than before.  The subscription is just a money grab.  Quicken H&B 2019 better be absolutely amazing given the huge increase in revenue they are pulling in.

Maybe they should discontinue Canadian customers altogether?  How about that?

What about $1.25 US = $1 CDN?  

No one is twisting your arm to continue your subscription in Canada.  YOU have to feel whether Quicken Canada is enough of a value for you to continue.

If it's too much of a monetary strain, you don't feel you're getting the same value, you feel you're getting ripped off, then please...find something else to use.  
    edited April 2018

Rude.
  • Now that I pay $89 per year rather than $30 every 4 years for Quicken Home & Business, I would expect that the software would improve considerably each year.  I upgraded from H&B 2014 to H&B 2017 last September when my download ability was scheduled to end.  Since then Quicken has upgraded me automatically to H&B 2018.  But guess what folks?  The software is no different from H&B 2014.  Not one change that I can see.  Especially annoying now that I'm paying $81.50 per year more than before.  The subscription is just a money grab.  Quicken H&B 2019 better be absolutely amazing given the huge increase in revenue they are pulling in.

It's not rude.  If you don't think Quicken is worth the price, then move on to something else.

Geez...it's personal financial software.  Either you play by Quicken's "rules" or you don't.

Your complaint is about the price of Quicken Canada...and the ongoing subscription.

No one is forcing you to pay that subscription.  Move on to something else if you feel you're being treated unfairly.  

What other type of answer do you expect to get?  Because I can guarantee you that Quicken isn't changing it's business model because of you.

So...in retrospect...your post is rude AND inconsiderate. 

And of course...you just don't get it.  There is NO Quicken 2018, 2019, 2020 etc any more.  It's just Quicken ... which subscribing gets you the latest updates.  There is NO new year version.  That's the point of the "rolling" subscription.  And that's the reason there is no "knock your socks off" added features. 
    edited April 2018

Portfolio X-Ray is one feature not on the Canadian product.  I noticed others that I can't recall at the moment.
  • Todd GarrisonTodd Garrison Member
    edited August 2018

It's like buying a car which, mechanically, could last for years, except the manufacturer installs a kill switch that disables the power steering once a year unless you pay them a "subscription" fee.  Of course, you can still drive the car without paying the fee, it's just going to be a LOT harder.  Pony up, guys!  It's time to pay the gangsters their annual tribute.  And hope that somebody busts their little monopoly someday by offering a competitive product.
    edited December 2018

I wouldn't mind paying the annual fee if they actually used the huge increase in revenue to actually improve the product.
  • Robert MooreRobert Moore Member
    edited December 2018
    I've been using Quicken since the mid-90s.  I am unhappy that I bought the 2018 upgrade for Quicken Premier last fall and, now, I'm paying an additional $9.95 per month on top of what I already paid.  If Quicken wants to turn this into a subscription service, they should at least give us credit for what we paid prior to this conversion.  Quicken Bill Pay is certainly not worth it either.  I can pay my bills via the bank just as simply especially since my payees are already set up. 
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I've been using Quicken since the mid-90s.  I am unhappy that I bought the 2018 upgrade for Quicken Premier last fall and, now, I'm paying an additional $9.95 per month on top of what I already paid.  If Quicken wants to turn this into a subscription service, they should at least give us credit for what we paid prior to this conversion.  Quicken Bill Pay is certainly not worth it either.  I can pay my bills via the bank just as simply especially since my payees are already set up. 

Hello Robert, appreciate your question.

Are you using Quicken Bill Pay or your bank's bill pay?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RichardRichard Member
    edited April 2018
    Pure and simple. I am out of here.  refuse to pay for what I don't need. There are other programs that do what Quicken does for my need and a far less cost. It doesn't matter that I have used Quicken for over 20 years. I prefer NOT to participate in this scheme.
    edited April 2018

Portfolio Manager on Quicken.com is another