Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Display/UI (Windows)

Quicken Inc should eliminate or minimize the LARGE popup with expiration (119 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Karen J FazzariKaren J Fazzari Member
    edited November 2019

The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user, however, I feel this is simply a high pressure sales tactic. The software has not improved in the way I use it as a standalone check on the financial institutions that I deal with.
    I have voted with my wallet, in that I have evaluated several alternatives and selected one that offers the same functionality that I need with out the need for constant internet connectivity that the expired version now needs. Converting was very seamless, only needing to input the recurring transactions.
    I now only need to put up with Quicken for archival purposes.

Thanks John!!
  • Karen J FazzariKaren J Fazzari Member
    edited November 2019

The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user, however, I feel this is simply a high pressure sales tactic. The software has not improved in the way I use it as a standalone check on the financial institutions that I deal with.
    I have voted with my wallet, in that I have evaluated several alternatives and selected one that offers the same functionality that I need with out the need for constant internet connectivity that the expired version now needs. Converting was very seamless, only needing to input the recurring transactions.

Thanks Chuck!
  • WannabeWannabe Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

The most ridiculous strategy I've ever seen from ANY software company.  The data is yours...but let's make the screen space so limited and advertising so annoying that you're making it almost unusable.

Makes me want to rethink subscribing...and just keeping my 2017 versions.  Even if that requires manual entry or subverting the locked download process.  

Or of course, just losing me (and others) as customers to other software products.  
  • I wonder what happened to all the votes from previous forum, there is also no obvious way to vote now... So I will just post  - another "happy customer" here.
    Subscription QW H&B Canada
  • ckdurkinckdurkin Member

I have using Quicken for 30 plus years.  While I appreciate the technical advances, I have chosen to not use any of the on-line services as I do not need any of those services and I prefer the old fashioned method of entering all my data.

The rub for me is that every time I start Quicken I am ‘encouraged’ to renew my membership for a mere $50.  I called and spoke with a Quicken rep who informed me that I could continue using Quicken without a membership, however I would not receive any support or updates.  That was satisfactory for me.

When I asked the Quicken rep about removing the ‘reminder’ at the top of my register and the glaring wide sidebar announcement that my membership has expired, he did not have a clue.

Is there any way to remove these ‘reminders’?

• How do you do the restore to Q2016 if I had updated from prior to 2013?  I did not have the option, to my knowledge to get a non-subscription version.  Is there the ability to get a version that is not a subscription AND dose not become read only?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either Q2016 or Q2013 should meet the needs of manual entry and both are non-subscription. More importantly, when support runs out, neither will nag for renewing or updating the version.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • quser8quser8 Member
    edited February 2019

I have been using Quicken for many years. It is a shame and disappointing that Quicken doesn’t have the respect for its non-renew users to allow us to turn off the renew reminder on the right side of the screen.    It’s sort of having to paying to use the full screen and that  doesn’t encourage me to renew. That said if you press F11 key (full screen) the screen is enlarged and the reminder on the right is gone.

• drandredrandre Member
    edited May 2019
    Our "membership" subscription to the new Quicken expired about a month ago and now our Quicken [removed] has a banner and side banner [removed].  As I have had clarification, there is no need for a subscription or to pay for the Intuit services unless you use the connected services.  We are not using any connected services.  We use the software as an electronic check register to keep track and print checks.

The customer service rep on chat stated this might be with development to have an option to remove the [removed] advertisements. 

Top banner message:

Right pane message:

[removed]
  • My subscription to Quicken Deluxe, version 5.13.2 expired and I am not renewing it. How can I turn off the yellow banner on the upper part and on the right side that advises me to renew again?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't, only by renewing will the banner go away.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • It is really bothersome and I could, by accident, click the renewal button. I am not interested in bank downloads or web access or synchronization . There should be a way.
  • jbnycjbnyc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The approach that Quicken has taken to subscriptions renewals is both unethical and predatory. [removed - speculation]

When I called the customer support to express concern and ask how to remove it, I was informed that it will not be removed at this point and that it is there purely to benefit users who may have forgotten to renew. I responded by saying that Quicken has sent me at least 1/2 dozen reminder emails leading up to the renewal day and that was enough to provide notice to me. If that was truly the reason then at minimum there should be an opt out of seeing the reminder once you open your Quicken program.

[removed - speculation]

I paid for the Quicken software years ago and was forced to repurchase the online version last year when their prior software was no longer supported by MAC OS. It was made clear to me that I would not need to pay for the service every year since I do not use the online bank link features, or anything else that is part of the paid features.

I have used this brand to track my personal finances for years, but now I will be forced to look for other options because I will not be bullied or coerced into paying for a yearly subscription just to manage my personal finances.

[removed - off-topic]
  • jbnycjbnyc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    > @GeoffG said:
    > No there is no way to remove. If you don't need the latest features, then I'm not sure why you upgraded to the subscription model. Hopefully you kept an older version of Quicken, ideally Q2013 installation. If so, I'm not sure of the backwards compatability to 2013, but you should be able to restore to Q2016.

It was not possible to keep the older versions of Quicken because the MAC operating system was no longer compatible. [removed - inaccurate/speculation]
  • Juan CJuan C Member
    I vote to have these reminders removed.
    If Quicken wants to continue to remind us, set the reminder up as occasional pop-ups that can be closed in one is still uninterested in renewing. Tried the F11 approach and got it to work but with drawbacks (some type is small and difficult to read); not an acceptable solution.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Quicken originally announced they would move to a subscription pricing model more than two years ago, their announced plan was that once your subscription ended, you would be able to view your data, but it would be read-only. Longtime customers howled their unhappiness with that plan, so Quicken relented by saying that customers with expired subscriptions could continue to use the software manually but would receive offers to renew. We didn't learn until the first subscriptions expired the exact form these messages would take.

They apparently believe this will lead to more sales, and there seem to be two likely reasons for that: (1) some users are unaware they're on a subscription which needs to be renewed, so Quicken needs to hit them over the head to make them aware, or (2) Quicken wants to make it so annoying, with the giant grab of screen space for the reminders, that some customers will just surrender, give in and purchase a subscription they didn't intend to buy.

They know some users will just put up with the large message, and they will likely lose some customers who hate it -- but those are customers who have decided to stop paying Quicken money anyway, and so I guess they don't mind losing those users who decide to move to other software. 

If you don't like it, please vote for it by clicking the gray arrow in the blue box under the first post on the first page of this thread. Quicken has stated they don't plan to change this behavior -- but they're certainly monitoring their renewal rates and usage rates, and they'll change if they realize they miscalculated. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ReeftownReeftown Unconfirmed, Member
    edited December 2019
    I agree. Have been a Quicken user since 2000, and Quickbooks user since 2007.
    Have Quicken 2018 Home & Business and upgraded about every 3 years. (Removed-Rant)
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reeftown Just FYI, Quicken and Quickbooks are sold by two different companies. (They used to be owned by the same company, but Quicken has been separate for years now.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SEvansSEvans Member
    I don't connect my Q to any tax prep software or online financial institutions. This means that it is not necessary for me to continuously receive updates. I'm self-employed, just making ends meet. It seems that these subscriptions are like buying a brand new program every year, not just an upgrade. This is WAY TOO EXPENSE for me. I understand that this is Q's effort to keep us all on the same page, but...
  • I have been a Quicken user for well over 10 years and have never seen any significant change or improvement in any version since I started. Now a full 1/3 of my page is gone; taken up with notifications that my membership has expired. I don't care, didn't use the cloud and I don't rent software. As far as I can tell, there is no way to remove this pirated space. The only thing I ever updated was a stock quote and I really don't need Quicken to do that. Eventually, EVERY cloud service gets breached so I will not put my Quicken file there and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. For anyone not using the cloud service, the "membership" serves little to no purpose and had I known about this change before purchasing this version, I would not have done so.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess you didn't read the EULA when you installed Quicken though you agreed to it. I don't use the cloud but I do download transactions and find that the cost of the subscription is well worth the convenience it provides.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • KTidlerKTidler Member ✭✭
    Downloads mess up my screen and I don't download from financial institutions. I called support but since I'm expired they won't help even though I'm not renewing because of product problems they haven't fixed. So how do I disconnect from the system?
  • MJanusMJanus Member
    edited January 2
    Beware!!! I had a yellow "Renew Membership" banner across the top of my Quicken 2020 V:R23.18. I tried to get rid of it by clicking on the "Renew" button and then closing out the payment screen. Wow, that a mistake! Now I have 20% of my main screen taken up with their advertising renew ". Do NOT click on the renew button. You only make it worse. (removed-disruptive)
  • MJanusMJanus Member
    edited January 2
     [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • rgmiketrgmiket Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    > @[email protected] said:
    > The company line is that all the advertising done is in the interest of the user, however, I feel this is simply a high pressure sales tactic. The software has not improved in the way I use it as a standalone check on the financial institutions that I deal with.I have voted with my wallet, in that I have evaluated several alternatives and selected one that offers the same functionality that I need with out the need for constant internet connectivity that the expired version now needs. Converting was very seamless, only needing to input the recurring transactions.I now only need to put up with Quicken for archival purposes.

(Removed-Off-Topic)

Cheers,
    Mike