Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Display/UI (Windows)

Quicken Inc should eliminate or minimize the LARGE popup with expiration (119 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• psisselpsissel Member
    edited January 3
    I agree with the numerous comments on the renewal notice at top and at side of my Quicken. I just use Quicken manually and don't connect to internet to pay bills, etc. and am fine with what I have. (removed-speculation)
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    rgmiket said:

I have been using Quicken for over 25 years and I have given the subscription model a try. I do have the 2016 Home & Business edition..I like others would upgrade every 2 to 3 years...this subscription model is the worse. I do not like not being able to control what version is installed.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Yes, one of the challenges with the subscription model is the ability to control what version you have running on your computer. That said, on the Mac, updated versions are fully under your control, in that you have to choose to accept any updates, unlike Windows, where updates are automatic.

That said, on Windows, you can control updates by changing the UAC settings. This apparently can prevent the automatic updates. So, this control is not from within Quicken software. HTH.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• rls1954rls1954 Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > It turns out that when your Quicken subscription membership expires, about 20%+ of your screen real-estate will become used for Quicken advertising (see image below). This was discovered by some users that received versions with temporary subscriptions that have now expired. 
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    >
    > At the moment, this appears to be limited to the QWin version(s), as the QMac version has not exhibited the same behaviour, yet. But it will be about 6 months before the first QMac versions expire, so anything can happen until then.
    >
    > EDIT: This definitely affects ALL versions of Quicken, QWin US, QWin CA and QMac.
    >
    > (This may have been part of the move to not make data read-only for most of the editions of Quicken, as a result of the mounting complaints. See 
    > QWin/QMac 2017: Quicken Inc should reverse its decision to change to a subscription that makes the user's data read-only if they stop paying )
    >
    > EDIT - Nov 30, 2018: it was confirmed that this response was as a direct result of the complaints at the thread above! Quicken has determined that this is the price to pay if you let your subscription expire!
    >
    > People should vote on this "idea" if they are against Quicken Inc using this business model.
    >
    > You may also want to contact Quicken Support to express your concerns: 
    > https://www.quicken.com/contact-support
  • rls1954rls1954 Member ✭✭
    I don't want to see any ads - small or large - in the software that I paid for or if I choose to use it in offline mode post subscription expiration.
  • keelaloukeelalou Member
    edited January 6
    merged from "Why can't I get rid of Membership Expires on my Quicken"

I did not subscribe this year but continue to have at the top "membership Expired." I can't rid of it nor on the side where it states your quicken membership expired. very irritating! I've used Quicken for years but ready to stop. I don't even use the online part of it. Help

• laddeb24laddeb24 Member
    edited April 5
    I have used Quicken for over 20 years. I purchased a new computer last year with Windows 10, so I renewed Quicken for the first time ever. I live on a fixed income and cannot afford their price. They have placed a banner over my screen that I was told cannot be removed until I renew. This stinks. Please help.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can do is add your vote to the first post on the first page. You can also shop around retailers (Amazon, etc.) for a better price if you choose to renew.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • SEvansSEvans Member
    edited January 16
    I, too, am "old school;" not using cloud, downloading transactions from financial institutions, coordinating with a smart phone, preparing current tax returns, etc. Therefore, I do not need a constantly updated version of Quicken Home & Business. My preference is to purchase an "update" on an "as needed" basis. The fact that I chose not to renew my subscription and have had so much of my working screen taken over by a "Renewal Reminder" is UNACCEPTABLE! Further, it looks like it would be CHEAPER to buy a new version of the program than to renew the subscription.

I will be teaching a class on Quicken Home & Business in the near future and having this message glaring on the screen will certainly NOT BE A SELLING POINT for those in attendance.

Please REMOVE THIS MESSAGE FROM THE SCREEN OR PROVIDE AN OPTION TO NOT DISPLAY IT from the screens of those of us who decide NOT to renew on an annual basis.
  • dkorzdkorz Member
    This annoyed me enough to figure out that the community account is different than the quicken account (even though they are in the same domain) so I could vote on this.

I've used quicken since the '80s. I guess I need to look for alternatives also.
  • NESNEROSNESNEROS Member
    We do not using our software for anything but log our banking. We decided that we did not need to renew our membership since we do not use any of the services.
    Quicken has placed a large ad on the right side of the screen which covers a lot of numbers and addition they have added another banner ad in yellow on the top of the screen,
    Any ideas on how to remove these banners?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ONLY way to remove them is to renew your subscription.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Or to stretch the window to move the right side off the screen or to open up other Quicken windows to cover it up. Of course, you would probably have to do that each time you restart Quicken.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• VotocatVotocat Member
    edited April 5
    Am digging out my old versions to see if I can go back the other way cause the banner suck
  • patdavispatdavis Unconfirmed, Member
    edited April 5
    if you position the window on your MAC so that the annoying banner is off the right side, then expand your window from the left edge, you can recover most of the screen to be used constructively.

Unfortunately, the top banner stays.

Someone needs to educate the Quicken management about customer care. This new idea really sucks.

I will NEVER spend another cent on one of their products.
  • Loiseaub7Loiseaub7 Member
    edited April 5
    This is the very last Quicken product I will ever use...I've been a user since 2009. Very very disappointed in you for these banners Quicken...Unethical practice to do such a thing to your long time users. I would have gladly continued to use your product without question and renewed on my own terms, but to be forced to do so because of banners is unacceptable. This may very well be the beginning of the end for the Quicken program...Especially since you've resorted to such desperate measures. You've given me just the right push I need to move on and try something new. There are several other reputable and comparable programs out there. Offending your strongest user base is a bad move.
  • tlslmstlslms Member
    edited April 5
    Quicken Inc should eliminate or minimize the LARGE popup with expiration. This is strong arming to continue to pay for updates that are not needed by all. Used to buy updated software disk when I felt I needed it, not when they thought I needed it!. This tactic makes my Quicken program, which I paid for!, difficult to use. Not right. I used to recommend them . . . I will be doing the opposite now very loudly!
  • moehlcmoehlc Member
    edited April 5
    I was never a fan of moving to the subscription model and held off for as long as I could before making the upgrade. It's one thing to try to remind people to renew their agreement; it's another to slap up a huge banner that hinders the applications usability is just plain obnoxious.
  • tsobeltsobel Member ✭✭
    edited April 5
    disgraceful
  • BrooseBroose Member
    I have 2019 Premier, which has subscription features I never used for home banking. The website only states the banners will be removed when the subscription is renewed. Of course, there are no instructions to remove the banners which interfere with the register view.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
    The only alternative is to expand your window so you can push the right side off the screen or cover up that area with other Quicken windows. Of course, you probably will have to do that each time you open Quicken.

? Add your vote here:

(

• mathersjdmathersjd Member
    edited February 6
    Ditto. Expiration banner is underhanded and I will never renew. (Removed- No Soliciting)
    edited February 6
    Don't forget to add your vote at the top of page 1 in the blue banner by clicking the little grey triangle under the VOTE count, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

? Add your vote here:

(

• Brent SpomerBrent Spomer Member ✭✭
    edited April 5
    I agree with the other comments. I don't use online services and I find it borderline unethical for Quicken to make the product I purchased almost unusable at the end of one year. I really don't like Quicken looking at my account in the first place let alone changing something after one year to add notices to my screen.
  • dghiggindghiggin Member
    edited April 5
    Our family is not :/ tied in to 'social media' but those of you who are can hopefully carry these complaints on to those platforms. To require more money in order to use our purchased product is a form of extortion. Let the public know about this bullying tactic. Wish I could help but there is too much 'twitter' in the world for me!
    edited February 7
    dghiggin said:
    ...Wish I could help...
    Well, you CAN help...by casting your VOTE on page 1 of this thread. Otherwise, simply posting a comment here will have NO effect on its own.
    For a quick way to get there, click this link then scroll down a bit to the blue banner and add you vote to the count.

? Add your vote here:

(

• Ron CarrRon Carr Member ✭✭
    edited April 5
    Typical lack of user concerns by Quicken. Why they think downloading transactions is vital eludes me. Such downloads cannot categorize transactions correctly. And I don't want Big Brother, in either governmental or corporate form, anywhere near my finances. BUT, all of the personal finance packages have that capability. Anyway, no you may not have my credit card, and you are nothing but thieves if you do not update software that I bought from you.
    Curmudgeon. Ron
  • urbanacresurbanacres Member
    This is ridiculous that you have to put up with that annoying ad when you chose not to renew.
  • bunhockbunhock Member
    edited April 5
    The same as most. The problem I had was the investment accounts were totally out of sync and difficult to get back. I just want to use the software to track investments and accounts so I know where I am on saving. After paying for new versions for over 30 years I don't feel that the subscription is worth it. [Rant Redacted - Speculation/Solicitation] I recommended your program to many friends but will never do that again.
  • continental$continental$ Member ✭✭
    edited February 14
    This is like the end of a long term marriage....I am cutting ties and not looking back.
This discussion has been closed.